Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

FL & AZ driveouts are still planned as normal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

It seems the annual rental car one-way specials out of AZ and FL are still planned as scheduled. Apr 1 - May 17 for AZ, and Apr 1 - May 30 for FL. The thing is, many places people would normally be driving to are still on lockdown, and are likely to remain so for some time, due to continued noncompliance with social distancing regulations. The NY Times even ran an article today wondering if snowbirds should just stay put this year, rather than travel to areas with more covid infections than their winter homes. To top it off, most neighborhood locations around here in the NY area are literally bursting full with unrented cars, even in our slow / shoulder season. Many locations are closed, as well. Do you think these promotions will be withdrawn or postponed this year?

If so, how might it impact the annual reverse migration in the fall? I presume no/ few snowbirds coming up means no/ few going back. I also assume planned new car deliveries will be halted for the foreseeable future. As existing stockpiles are attempted to be sold off to generate income during a period of minuscule demand, no replacements also means no extra inventory to re-balance next season.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:21 am

Has anyone come across ANY drive-out-of-Florida rates, prior to fire? And may the loss of 3500 cars preclude this annual April drive-out? (unannounced specials used to be as low as $5/day at some companies, while others used to announce $10-15/day)
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:24 am
Original Poster

The driveout rates are now in effect, until end of June in most cases. But in the $12-$15/day range, prior to discounts and taxes. It may eventually go lower if the usual snowbirds are deciding not to travel.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
Has anyone come across ANY drive-out-of-Florida rates, prior to fire? And may the loss of 3500 cars preclude this annual April drive-out? (unannounced specials used to be as low as $5/day at some companies, while others used to announce $10-15/day)
It's right there on Hertz's website.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/renta...ut-deal-062020
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by m907
It's right there on Hertz's website.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/renta...ut-deal-062020
Alamo has a Florida drive out deal, too:

https://www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rent...a-one-way.html

And it's always worth checking companies that don't have advertised deals. I had booked the Alamo deal for the end of May. I decided to check Avis because I can walk to one of their offices. Their rate matched what Alamo was offering. Plus, because Avis didn't require a specific code, I was able to get the price even lower with my regular code.

Now, I just need the country to start opening up by the end of May.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Alamo has a Florida drive out deal, too:

https://www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rent...a-one-way.html

And it's always worth checking companies that don't have advertised deals. I had booked the Alamo deal for the end of May. I decided to check Avis because I can walk to one of their offices. Their rate matched what Alamo was offering. Plus, because Avis didn't require a specific code, I was able to get the price even lower with my regular code.

Now, I just need the country to start opening up by the end of May.
All of the above happen to be terrible pricing = double the price, compared to a German company rates OUT OF FL. Too bad they claim that all of their Euro car models are up for sale rather than rent. lmk what u got
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Sixt is not currently doing the FL driveout, and if I recall, hasn't done so in years.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:04 am

YOU HAVE JUST PICKED UP YOUR VEHICLE CADILLAC XT5
Rate: US05R000 PFAR Agent:
------------------------------ Number ---- Unit Price ------ Subtot.---------
Rental days 15 x 7.28 109.20 USD A1
Vehicle License Fee 15 x 0.95 14.25 USD A1
Rental Surcharge 15 x 2.00 30.00 USD A1
One-Way Fee 1 x 0.00 0.00 USD A0
Priv. Fee Recovery Charge 10.00 % 12.34 USD A1
Rate includes all mls
A0 Tax exempt
A1 Sales Tax 6,50% 10.78 USD
Total 176.57 USD

note: Prepaid would be $170 for 15 days. Also clicked thru for 8% topcashbak
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I just got an email from AutoSlash with a couple of links:

If you're planning an escape from the Florida or Arizona heat, consider taking advantage of a "drive-out" deal. Rental car companies offer these one-way specials to help them migrate their fleets in preparation for the busy summer season.

PRO TIP: This year, Hertz, Alamo and Enterprise are all offering the same price on drive-out promos. But Hertz's one-way offers out of Florida and Arizona run for a significantly longer period, making them the best bet during uncertain times. It's also worth noting that other rental car brands will surely jump in with their own promos, so your best bet is to request a quote from AutoSlash and let us check for deals across all the companies.
-J.
SinglePapa2 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I just got an email from AutoSlash with a couple of links:

-J.
or just look at my post above yours of the actual rental, available starting at $5/day for up to 21 days
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
or just look at my post above yours of the actual rental, available starting at $5/day for up to 21 days
You did not specify a company. I linked three articles with links to actual sales, which I thought would be helpful.

-J.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

YOU HAVE JUST PICKED UP YOUR VEHICLE CADILLAC XT5
Rate: US05R000 PFAR Agent:
------------------------------ Number ---- Unit Price ------ Subtot.---------
Rental days 15 x 7.28 109.20 USD A1
Vehicle License Fee 15 x 0.95 14.25 USD A1
Rental Surcharge 15 x 2.00 30.00 USD A1
One-Way Fee 1 x 0.00 0.00 USD A0
Priv. Fee Recovery Charge 10.00 % 12.34 USD A1
Rate includes all mls
A0 Tax exempt
A1 Sales Tax 6,50% 10.78 USD
Total 176.57 USD

note: Prepaid would be $170 for 15 days. Also clicked thru for 8% topcashbak
Wow, you did good. Are you willing to share pick up and return locations? Surely somebody at your destination would like a nice Cadillac XT5, although probably at a much higher price.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Wow, you did good. Are you willing to share pick up and return locations? Surely somebody at your destination would like a nice Cadillac XT5, although probably at a much higher price.
Never thought of them either lol. They run efficient 10min shuttle off MCO's lower level at both terminals (are my airport charges saved by that?) For some reason, this XT5 has no navigation?? Can someone advise I could Bluetooth Iphone's googlemaps via CarPlay...They immediately brought me some basic Garmin in a dusty pouch, and said "no charge" lol. But I'm dreading using it
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

What return location? Who's going to be the lucky next customer? And which company?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:06 pm

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefinedWhat return location? Who's going to be the lucky next customer? And which company?https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined
Germans have only one location in NYC. Rate won't be special. Seems they only excel in FL and CA. And she likely didn't lie when I was asking for Merc, BMW or Range Rover - they're selling them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.