Wiki Posts
Search

EZ pass with no car

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
EZ pass with no car

I was thinking of getting an EZpass for an upcoming Philly trip, for a rental.
I don't have a car in the US - from what I can see there needs to be a plate registered to the EZ-pass, and if the rental is already registered then I can't use the rental plates.

Does that mean that I won't be able to buy and use an EZ-pass ?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:08 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by dand99
I don't have a car in the US - from what I can see there needs to be a plate registered to the EZ-pass, and if the rental is already registered then I can't use the rental plates.

They don't validate the vehicle/plate info entered so you can pretty much put in anything. It won't impact your ability to use the pass on a rental vehicle with a different plate. We recommend the North Carolina version of the EZ Pass for various reasons you can read about here. It lets you register up to 5 vehicles on a personal account so you could just add whatever rental vehicle you are assigned if you wish (although it will probably work fine in any case).
seawolf, m907 and lipdog43 like this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
They don't validate the vehicle/plate info entered so you can pretty much put in anything. It won't impact your ability to use the pass on a rental vehicle with a different plate. We recommend the North Carolina version of the EZ Pass for various reasons you can read about here. It lets you register up to 5 vehicles on a personal account so you could just add whatever rental vehicle you are assigned if you wish (although it will probably work fine in any case).
I happily read your blog when it came out. Suddenly, it bites at the end:

" $7.49. And if you at all foresee traveling in the DC metro area with other people in your car, the small upgrade to the NC Quick Pass E-ZPass Flex transponder for $16.49 "
I never understood that sudden +$9 leap. Does the $7.49 device fully cover I-95 everywhere around DC?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:28 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
I happily read your blog when it came out. Suddenly, it bites at the end:

" $7.49. And if you at all foresee traveling in the DC metro area with other people in your car, the small upgrade to the NC Quick Pass E-ZPass Flex transponder for $16.49 "
I never understood that sudden +$9 leap. Does the $7.49 device fully cover I-95 everywhere around DC?
Either device fully covers I-95 everywhere around DC but only the more expensive Flex transponder has the switch that supports using it in the HOV lanes. If you don't care about that, then the cheaper version is just fine.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Either device fully covers I-95 everywhere around DC but only the more expensive Flex transponder has the switch that supports using it in the HOV lanes. If you don't care about that, then the cheaper version is just fine.
Still unclear. I-95 around DC is free. So what does $7.49 work for??
Express lanes are not free. And I've seen somewhere on I-95 it said "no toll with HOV plus" or something to that effect. Kindly explain what $7.49 achieves and what $16.49 achieves
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

From what state will you be starting?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
From what state will you be starting?
PA.
I can walk into a retail outlet, get a transponder and register it - usable within 24 hours, or so it seems....
Old Feb 19, 2020, 3:37 am

Express lanes are not free. And I've seen somewhere on I-95 it said "no toll with HOV plus" or something to that effect. Kindly explain what $7.49 achieves and what $16.49 achieves
It's not that hard. The $16.49 one has the Flex HOV transponder switch so you can use the 95/395/495 express lanes toll-free with 3+ people in the car, and I-66 during rush hour with 2+ people in the car. The $7.49 one does not have the switch.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
PA.
I can walk into a retail outlet, get a transponder and register it - usable within 24 hours, or so it seems....
NYS expressly permits those who do not own a car to obtain and register an E-Z Pass account. Whether a non-resident can do so online, or must purchase a transponder at a retail location in NYS is something I do not know. See:

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/faq/account.shtml

Have you called the PA E-Z Pass Service Center to ask if there is any way a non-owner can register an E-Z Pass account? They might have a work-around.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by guv1976
NYS expressly permits those who do not own a car to obtain and register an E-Z Pass account. Whether a non-resident can do so online, or must purchase a transponder at a retail location in NYS is something I do not know. See:

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/faq/account.shtml

Have you called the PA E-Z Pass Service Center to ask if there is any way a non-owner can register an E-Z Pass account? They might have a work-around.
I have a NY E-Z Pass as an Ontario resident. I signed up online and it was mailed to me no problem.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:14 pm

If 10 folks are presented with the challenge of hammering a nail in exchange for receiving $10, 3 will ask if it depends what kind of hammer you are using, 2 will ask if it's weather dependent, 1 will inquire if it requires a US citizenship, 1 will ask if democrats are eligible to participate, 1 will inquire what form of payment will be rendered, and 2 will walk away, figuring it's not worth the effort.
24.05.2004 and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:35 pm

PA.
The PA EZPass has a $3 annual fee per transponder and a higher replenishment amount.
If your trip is a week or more out, assuming you're located in Illinois as your profile says, consider getting an Illinois EZPass/IPass. It has no fee, the deposit is refundable, and the replenishments are lower. Plus PA toll roads give EZPass discounts to all EZPasses, not just PA ones.

As for the person that said NY, out of state residents will receive a Port Authority (PANYNJ) EZPass which has a $1 monthly fee. Other NY issuers (MTA and Thruway) don't charge the fee but your mailing address has to be in their service area.

Wiki article that compiles all EZ pass information by state
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I-95 itself may be free, but there are toll roads around it, for example the Dulles Airport Toll Road. I presume it works for those.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger
The PA EZPass has a $3 annual fee per transponder and a higher replenishment amount.
If your trip is a week or more out, assuming you're located in Illinois as your profile says, consider getting an Illinois EZPass/IPass. It has no fee, the deposit is refundable, and the replenishments are lower. Plus PA toll roads give EZPass discounts to all EZPasses, not just PA ones.

As for the person that said NY, out of state residents will receive a Port Authority (PANYNJ) EZPass which has a $1 monthly fee. Other NY issuers (MTA and Thruway) don't charge the fee but your mailing address has to be in their service area.

Wiki article that compiles all EZ pass information by state
That article is outdated. As discussed above, the NC QuickPass is the best option for rentals because it works in all 16 EZPass states plus Georgia and Florida, has no fees even for out-of-state residents, and works in the DC area HOV lanes if you buy the $16.49 transponder.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:22 am
Original Poster

... and reporting back.

The experience was not good. I picked up an EZpass at a retail outlet and registered it online, with my rental plates. Waited 24 hours then used it. I had my picture taken (saw flash) at least twice in PA. Drove to NJ where they still have toll signals and confirmations, had "payment confirmed/collected" showing when I went through EZpass lanes, so the transponder was working.

Called up customer service, they said they could see no transactions at all on my account (had been 48 hours+ since using in PA). Since then I have had my NJ transactions post but only one single PA transaction.

It's going to be a mess now, best case is they send me violations by mail based on plate number, worst case all goes to rental company and I have to deal with fines, admin fees an so on.

Definitely a fail....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.