Wiki Posts
Search

Rental car damage costs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Rental car damage costs

Hi There

I hired a car through Hertz in Spain, didn't take insurance, damaged it and now have a big bill including loss of usage.

I live in the UK but no longer at the address I was during the rental, and now contact is through email and I have been contacted by a debt collection agency. The debt collection company are just people who fire off email templates, they haven't escalated court action.

What are the consequences of not paying? What happens if I can't pay the amount?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by James.T
What are the consequences of not paying? What happens if I can't pay the amount?
You will definitely land yourself to Hertz's DNR list. This may include all Hertz related car rental companies. If there is one, you may probably land yourself to the industry's DNR list as well.

If you can't pay, Hertz will simply do nothing other than the DNR. There is a strategical advantage not to sue you, as the statute of limitations will never start, effectively haunting you for life if you don't pay.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful info. I'm not sure how you mean there is a strategical advantage not to sue me? How would it benefit them to have this hanging over me for life?

Many thanks
Old Dec 18, 2019, 4:32 am

Hi There

I hired a car through Hertz in Spain, didn't take insurance, damaged it and now have a big bill including loss of usage.

I live in the UK but no longer at the address I was during the rental, and now contact is through email and I have been contacted by a debt collection agency. The debt collection company are just people who fire off email templates, they haven't escalated court action.

What is wrong with you? Is this a serious question or an academic one?
nancypants, aidy, Finkface and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Not sure what you are talking about? 'academic'??
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:27 pm

Not sure what you are talking about? 'academic'??
You seriously think you can just decline to pay the costs? You think that's a reasonable option and that you'll get away with it?
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Well I don't know, that's why I ask? The guy above says they would just blacklist and take no further action. Would they pursue it internationally? I doubt it.

They obviously have insurance to cover damage even if you don't pay the extra for insurance so it's essentially a money making scam. I don't know anyone who doesn't have car insurance... Also they could have kept my deposit and did not.

All of these 'days of lost rental' I don't believe are justified either unless they prove that that particular car was rented, but most likely they have a dozen cars in each class.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I'm not sure how you mean there is a strategical advantage not to sue me?
Because of statute of limitations.

How would it benefit them to have this hanging over me for life?
Depending on the law of the country, Hertz may be able to report this to your credit report. Also - interest would be allowed, even it is not as high as the banks.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:02 pm

Well I don't know, that's why I ask? The guy above says they would just blacklist and take no further action. Would they pursue it internationally? I doubt it.

They obviously have insurance to cover damage even if you don't pay the extra for insurance so it's essentially a money making scam. I don't know anyone who doesn't have car insurance... Also they could have kept my deposit and did not.

All of these 'days of lost rental' I don't believe are justified either unless they prove that that particular car was rented, but most likely they have a dozen cars in each class.
What would you think if I was visiting the UK and I bashed your car up, rang your doorbell and said "You obviously have insurance to cover damage", and went home to the U.S. and dared you to pursue me internationally? Does that sound like a reasonable, moral thing for me to do?

I can't believe I'm having to explain this. What is wrong with you?
Finkface, trooper, aidy and 1 others like this.

Last edited by m907; Dec 18, 2019 at 3:11 pm
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP says there was a lot of damage and therefore a lot of money.

Hertz will try the collections route and place OP on the DNR. If the amount is significant, it will sue OP in Spain and either OP will either default or settle. If he defaults, enforcing a Spanish judgment in a UK court involves a bit of paperwork but is not hard.

Alternatively, Hertz may sue in a UK court and that is much easier and more direct.

As a major multinational, these suits are easy to file, easy to win and result in the absconder paying out not only the original damages, but at least costs and possibly attorneys fees, depending on the jurisdiction.

Rarely does an outfit like Hertz drop these matters. Even where it likely will not even break even. It sends a message both ways, e.g., that it does pursue bad guys and, the other way, that it lets people get away with it.

As to the silliness about Hertz collecting from insurance, if that happens, the insurer is subrogated to Hertz and then the insurer comes after the absconder.

Again, we don't know what the damages here are. Does OP mean EUR 500 or 5,000?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the help, the amount is about 1500EUR.

I was unsure if the amount would go to Hertz or the debt collection agency.

thanks.

Originally Posted by Often1
OP says there was a lot of damage and therefore a lot of money.

Hertz will try the collections route and place OP on the DNR. If the amount is significant, it will sue OP in Spain and either OP will either default or settle. If he defaults, enforcing a Spanish judgment in a UK court involves a bit of paperwork but is not hard.

Alternatively, Hertz may sue in a UK court and that is much easier and more direct.

As a major multinational, these suits are easy to file, easy to win and result in the absconder paying out not only the original damages, but at least costs and possibly attorneys fees, depending on the jurisdiction.

Rarely does an outfit like Hertz drop these matters. Even where it likely will not even break even. It sends a message both ways, e.g., that it does pursue bad guys and, the other way, that it lets people get away with it.

As to the silliness about Hertz collecting from insurance, if that happens, the insurer is subrogated to Hertz and then the insurer comes after the absconder.

Again, we don't know what the damages here are. Does OP mean EUR 500 or 5,000?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro
That doesn't seem like a whole lot of damage. Perhaps you can settle with them paying in parts, like 750 EUR in two payments, or something like that?

When I initially read your post, I was thinking something to the tune of 10,000 EUR+.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Now that it is with a debt collection agency, it is a bit harder. Those agencies are typically paid a percentage of what they collect. Thus, if they settle for less than the EUR 1,500, their fee takes a hit too.

You can nonetheless try dealing directly with Hertz and suggesting that you are prepared to pay an amount less than EUR 1,500 and will do so within 24 hours if Hertz agrees. Offer something such as EUR 1,000 (don't do this if you don't have the funds) and have the carrot be that the funds are imminent. Don't expect Hertz to go for this if the payment is not for the amount agreed upon and done in a day or two as part of the willingess to take a reduced payment is to close the matter quickly.

You may also find that Hertz will not reduce the settlement amount as it is contractually obligated to pay the debt collection agency.

The lesson for others is that hiding from these things rarely ends well. If you are going to flee into the jungle never to be heard from again, do it and be gone. But, if you want to get rid of this, get on top of it and settle it before you start incurring the other side's expenses.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:13 am

thanks for the help, the amount is about 1500EUR.

I was unsure if the amount would go to Hertz or the debt collection agency.

thanks.
I sincerely hope they sue you. If you actually think you can damage a car and flee the country and try to get away with it, you deserve to be sued for the amount in question plus legal damages, attorneys' fees, and court costs.
nancypants and IAHtraveler like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.