Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Foreigner will rent from Avis LAX...no taxes & fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:25 am
Original Poster

I will be in L.A. in June and have booked a minivan with Avis.com (I declared I am a resident of another country). My booking included the LDW and 3rd party liability which I am happy for. For taxes & fees (airport concession fees), it was zero.
Will Avis surprise me and charge me these taxes & fees when I pick up my car? Or they will honor whatever the total is on my booking confirmation?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Odd, since these fees have nothing to do with residency. I would not be surprised if these fees suddenly popped up when you collect the car. How did you book it?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Odd, since these fees have nothing to do with residency. I would not be surprised if these fees suddenly popped up when you collect the car. How did you book it?
I went to Avis.com and it had a drop down box where it asks for your Residency. I picked my country. I continued on with the booking and 'taxes and fees' was zero.
They sent me a confirmation email and again the 'taxes and fees' was zero. I am a bit wary so I came here to ask if anybody has had a similar experience.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:37 am
Suspended

Maybe you'll get lucky!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:03 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

You may be surprised, but not in the way you think. The taxes and fees are probably just baked into the rate since it's an all-inclusive deal. You should be fine there. Where the surprise may come in is if you have an accident with the rental and then try to collect on the LDW and/or 3rd party liability. Once a claim has been opened, it will be pretty easy to see that you misrepresented your country of residence and Avis will see a way out of any damage claim.

The rental companies may be incompetent sometimes, but they're not stupid--they know what folks do. It's probably not worth them policing it in most cases where there is no claim--no harm, no foul. However, if you have a major accident with a not significant claim amount, they will check for these sorts of things. If they can find a way to get out of paying and forcing you to pay instead due to a misrepresentation or violation of their terms of service, they surely will. To put it another way, that "free" LDW/LIS you got is probably worthless.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
it will be pretty easy to see that you misrepresented your country of residence and Avis will see a way out of any damage claim.
My reading of the OP is that he is genuinely resident outside the US. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:09 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by LondonElite
My reading of the OP is that he is genuinely resident outside the US. Maybe I'm wrong.
If that's the case, then all good. I guess I jumped to conclusions since so many people try to game the system in this regard.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:11 am
Suspended

If that's the case, then all good. I guess I jumped to conclusions since so many people try to game the system in this regard.
Look at the sub-title to his OP...
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:41 am
Original Poster

You may be surprised, but not in the way you think. The taxes and fees are probably just baked into the rate since it's an all-inclusive deal. You should be fine there. Where the surprise may come in is if you have an accident with the rental and then try to collect on the LDW and/or 3rd party liability. Once a claim has been opened, it will be pretty easy to see that you misrepresented your country of residence and Avis will see a way out of any damage claim.

The rental companies may be incompetent sometimes, but they're not stupid--they know what folks do. It's probably not worth them policing it in most cases where there is no claim--no harm, no foul. However, if you have a major accident with a not significant claim amount, they will check for these sorts of things. If they can find a way to get out of paying and forcing you to pay instead due to a misrepresentation or violation of their terms of service, they surely will. To put it another way, that "free" LDW/LIS you got is probably worthless.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your reply. Fingers crossed Avis stands by their quote. I will also try to reach their Help desk.

And yes, I really live abroad (outside the US) and I hold a driver’s license from my country of citizenship. I completely understand your initial concern as I have read quite a number of posts from people trying to take advantage of non-US resident rates.

AutoSlash likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.