Search

Need Help - Enterprise Damage Scam

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb Need Help - Enterprise Damage Scam

Hi Everyone,

My friend had a little problem with Enterprise rental car, Canada
He recently got rear ended and his insurance company covered his replacement rental (Enterprise).
Upon arrival to the rental location, he signed the contract, checked the car with the employee (no inspection sheet) and did not even use his credit card for deposit

He later returned his car at night (after-hours return using key box) and then Enterprise called him next morning and stated that there is a minor dent on the side door.
He went to the location right away and only saw a photo from a employee. The size of the dent was even smaller than a loonie and my friend said the damage was pre-existing (visible but really small)

Yesterday, he received a letter from Enterprise claim department and requested his credit card information, insurance company information and personal information (basically everything).

I have several questions (I have never rented from Enterprise)

1, My friend never rented a car before and he said the employee did not provide any inspection sheet for him to sign. The employee told him that the damage was small so its fine.
Does Enterprise have inspection sheet? I usually rent from Hertz and I know you have to sign the blue inspection sheet for sure.

2, Since Enterprise did not even ask for his credit card for deposit, why did the claim department still asked for his insurance company & credit card info? The location should contact his insurance company right?

3, I am surprised that Enterprise claim department did not even provide any repair bill or estimated charges. Should Enterprise let him know how much the damage was before filling up those info?

4, Is there anyway to fight this claim or complain? I am surprised that there are a lot complaints online regarding of after hour returns & damages.

5, Will his insurance premium goes up if he make the claim with his insurance company?

6, Any suggestion on next move?

Thanks folks
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A starting point would not be to refer to this as a "scam". You may be assured that Enterprise will never relent if he makes unfounded accusations.

If your friend did not obtain an inspection form, take photos himself, or have a written confirmation that the dent is pre-existing as he has told you it is, this is simply a he-said she said.

A starting point is to figure how much is involved. Don't provide CC information or anything else until he has a damage estimate. With that, he may hand this off to his insurance and be done with it. On the other hand, perhaps it is so small, that he wants to directly haggle with Enterprise to see whether Enterprise will drop the matter or arrive at a mutually satisfactory agreement.

No way to tell anything until he knows what is involved.
AutoSlash and Closingracer like this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:17 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Agree with everything Often1 said. I would also add that he might call his insurance company and alert them to the situation. Keep in mind that the insurance company is the client here and they likely have some sway with Enterprise (as in Enterprise would not want to lose a major insurance company as a client over a tiny dent), and certainly more than your friend would, so they may be able to intervene on his behalf.

Furthermore, if it were me, I'd just keep pushing back and under no circumstances would I provide my credit card information unless I agreed to some settlement amount with Enterprise that I thought was fair. While it may not seem that way, your friend has the upper hand since they have no way to charge him. He should take an assertive stance with them, assuming he is confident the damage was pre-existing.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:39 am

In the US as at least, most Enterprises have now gone to a digital system with a tablet that they do the walk around on; when you sign on the tablet, you are acknowledging the vehicle condition documented at the time of rental, fuel level, and contract terms. For me, they email me a copy of the same in PDF format as that is the contract and proof I am legally able to drive.

Now, I don't know Canada law on the same, but my guess is it may be similar is some regards and signed agreeing to what was documented at the walk around not realizing that was also the existing damage information.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr
In the US as at least, most Enterprises have now gone to a digital system with a tablet that they do the walk around on; when you sign on the tablet, you are acknowledging the vehicle condition documented at the time of rental, fuel level, and contract terms.
How I miss the good ole days, when all Enterprise reps wore crisp white shirts, black pants, and carried a clipboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.