Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long am I on the hook for damages?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Poster

How long am I on the hook for damages?

Well, I've met with a first - the rental car agency refuses to give a quote or provide any documentation on the damage done to the car.

Long story short, there was some minor damage to the bumper of the car and I was to pay for it with my own insurance coverage.

This started in April and it has been 2 months since.

On getting the car damaged, I returned the car and exchanged for a new vehicle as per the agency's advice, was told that the damage report will be given to me in a few days along with the cost.

Few days later, I returned the new car and asked them if there's any updates, there wasn't any; they explained to me that they had rented the car out again by accident and the car will only be back 1 week later, so they can only send it to the workshop then.

So yes, that was it.

I've never heard from them since, calls to the rental location have gone ignored and unanswered. The staff keeps telling me that they'll get back to me, but never do. I got the manager on the phone once and he said he'll get back to me about the damage report in 3 days time and that he's very sure I'll have to pay for the damage, but never did as well. I've emailed the manager like 3 times and he's not responded to the emails.

I'm really concerned about being on a blacklist for rentals and I really just want to close the case and pay up, but the location isn't allowing me to do so!

How long am I on the hook for damages done? Is there anything I can do?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Yunnnn
Well, I've met with a first - the rental car agency refuses to give a quote or provide any documentation on the damage done to the car.

Long story short, there was some minor damage to the bumper of the car and I was to pay for it with my own insurance coverage.

This started in April and it has been 2 months since.

On getting the car damaged, I returned the car and exchanged for a new vehicle as per the agency's advice, was told that the damage report will be given to me in a few days along with the cost.

Few days later, I returned the new car and asked them if there's any updates, there wasn't any; they explained to me that they had rented the car out again by accident and the car will only be back 1 week later, so they can only send it to the workshop then.

So yes, that was it.

I've never heard from them since, calls to the rental location have gone ignored and unanswered. The staff keeps telling me that they'll get back to me, but never do. I got the manager on the phone once and he said he'll get back to me about the damage report in 3 days time and that he's very sure I'll have to pay for the damage, but never did as well. I've emailed the manager like 3 times and he's not responded to the emails.

I'm really concerned about being on a blacklist for rentals and I really just want to close the case and pay up, but the location isn't allowing me to do so!

How long am I on the hook for damages done? Is there anything I can do?
Why would you be on a blacklist if you haven't even been sent a bill for damages -- let alone refused to pay?

You will either get a bill, or you won't. If you do, turn it over to your car insurer (and/or credit-card benefits administrator, if you charged the rental to a card that includes car-rental loss/damage insurance).
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by guv1976
Why would you be on a blacklist if you haven't even been sent a bill for damages -- let alone refused to pay?

You will either get a bill, or you won't. If you do, turn it over to your car insurer (and/or credit-card benefits administrator, if you charged the rental to a card that includes car-rental loss/damage insurance).
Agree. Worriedly rushing the process along does nothing.

If they want to charge you, they will send you a bill. If and when they do, you pay it (either yourself or by submitting to your insurer). As long as you do that, you will not be on any DNR list.

Trust me, you will be well aware if and when you are put on a DNR list. The point that they are putting you on the DNR list is the point at which they've sent you to collections and you have a collections agency chasing after you and putting black marks all over your credit report. Until that happens, you are in no danger of being on any DNR list.

Also, depending on the rental company and location (which you did not share, so it's difficult to give specific advice), it may be a franchise, in which case any DNR list would be specific to that franchise and would not be shared with the corporate parent.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

Well, I'm not sure what they're up to, so I'm just a little concerned about this.
The last time I had a damaged car, it didn't take long to get the bill and I was able to settle it quickly. The location manager's pretty adamant that I'll be getting a bill when asked.

I don't really want to keep the entire rental paperwork for months and then have it go missing. My insurer seems to want those in original paperwork when I asked them about it.

So it seems like it's absolutely normal to not hear anything from them and I won't know if there will ever be a bill that comes through!

Originally Posted by jackal
Agree. Worriedly rushing the process along does nothing.

If they want to charge you, they will send you a bill. If and when they do, you pay it (either yourself or by submitting to your insurer). As long as you do that, you will not be on any DNR list.

Trust me, you will be well aware if and when you are put on a DNR list. The point that they are putting you on the DNR list is the point at which they've sent you to collections and you have a collections agency chasing after you and putting black marks all over your credit report. Until that happens, you are in no danger of being on any DNR list.

Also, depending on the rental company and location (which you did not share, so it's difficult to give specific advice), it may be a franchise, in which case any DNR list would be specific to that franchise and would not be shared with the corporate parent.
Ah, it's Enterprise in Guam - I think they directly own all their locations, but I might be wrong.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
"I don't really want to keep the entire rental paperwork for months and then have it go missing. My insurer seems to want those in original paperwork when I asked them about it."

So either:

1) Rent a safe-deposit box, and store the rental paperwork (and your other important papers) in it; or

2) Initiate a claim with your insurer now, and furnish them with the documentation you currently have. You can supplement the documentation down the road, if and when Enterprise sends you a demand letter.

I'd be truly surprised if your insurer insisted on getting your hard-copy originals, as opposed to a faxed copy of the original, or an e-mailed scan of the original. But I suppose that anything is possible.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Yunnnn
Ah, it's Enterprise in Guam - I think they directly own all their locations, but I might be wrong.
They do appear to be corporate, as they are not listed at https://www.enterprise.co.uk/en/priv...licensees.html.

I do not know to what extent the different international business units of Enterprise share DNR lists.

I don't think it would be particularly helpful, but you might try contacting the Enterprise Damage Recovery Unit for corporate, as they may be able to expedite your claim. Call the main Enterprise number (800-736-8222) and ask to be transferred to the Damage Recovery Unit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.