Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
AutoSlash automatically searches thousands of coupon codes to find the best one that slashes your rental car rate!
How to use AutoSlash:
  1. Request a quote at https://www.autoslash.com/quote. You'll get an email usually within 10-15 minutes with the best rates (it takes a few minutes to scan through thousands of coupons!). The email will have a link to view your quote results. The quote will include the best rates (after discounts and coupons) from each major rental company that AutoSlash was able to find. Choose which one you want to book and you can then complete your reservation.
  2. If you've already booked a rental elsewhere (or after you book one through step #1 above), register your reservation at https://www.autoslash.com/track. AutoSlash will periodically check your reservation for lower rates and will email you if and when a lower rate is available.

AutoSlash searches and books two different types of rates:
  • "Pay Later" — retail pay-at-counter rates, just like the ones you can book directly at the rental car companies' websites, but with coupons applied to slash the rate
  • "Pay Now" — specially-negotiated "Slash Deals" prepaid rates that can often be a significant discount from retail rates
"Pay Later" rates are booked through affiliate travel sites. Currently, the main affiliate is Priceline, but additional partners may be added in the future. The quote from AutoSlash includes direct pre-discounted deep links to these affiliate sites so you can quickly and easily find and book the rate.
"Pay Now" Slash Deals rates are booked directly with AutoSlash.

FlyerTalk Advanced Questions (FAQs):

Is there a fee to use AutoSlash?
No, AutoSlash doesn't charge for its services.

How does AutoSlash stay in business, then?
AutoSlash gets a little bit of affiliate revenue from the booking links in the quotes.

What big evil corporation is behind AutoSlash?
None. AutoSlash is a bootstrapped start-up birthed by FlyerTalkers (and even still employing mostly FlyerTalk members) with an initial goal of automating what many FlyerTalk members were already doing (manually testing dozens or hundreds of coupon and discount codes for each rental) and now aiming to be the best and cheapest place on the Internet to book rental cars. There are no plans to shut down or sell out, but if someone wants to match or beat this offer...

Why do I have to provide my email address?
It takes a few minutes to scan through all of the different coupon and discount codes, so a real-time search system isn't really possible. An email alert will be sent when your quote is ready, usually within about 10-15 minutes.

Why haven't I still haven't gotten my quote after 15 minutes?
During periods of heavy demand, the system may get a little backed up. Quotes are generally processed in order of pick-up date (rates for rentals several months out usually don't fluctuate very often), though there's a bit of logic in the system to try to make sure that people don't wait too long (more than an hour or so) for a quote, even when AutoSlash is featured on national news money-saving segments. Also, if you request a quote that doesn't return any results (like trying to pick up off-airport at 3am or searching for a convertible in Duluth in January—yes, those are real requests), your request goes into a queue for manual review, where a support agent will review things to see if your quote can be adjusted to find a result. That should be processed within a few hours at most (but often much faster). Also, try checking your junk or spam folder. Some ISPs tend to be aggressive about bouncing AutoSlash quote emails; feel free to reach out to AutoSlash support to check on your quote email status if you can't find it.

How can I get support from AutoSlash?
[email protected] is the best way to get in touch. A support agent is usually online Monday-Friday 8am to midnight Eastern time and Saturday/Sunday 10am to 8pm Eastern time. During that time, you'll usually get a reply within five to 30 minutes or so and pretty much never more than an hour or two. Most agents are long-time FlyerTalk members, meaning your response generally comes from the perspective of a frequent traveler (if not an outright travel hacker), not some clueless offshore call-center script-reader. Since it's a small team, not to mention they're FlyerTalkers and often traveling themselves (and working from on-board wifi), phone support isn't currently provided. Messaging (privately) on Facebook works, too, with similar response time to email (it goes to the same support agents). Public Facebook wall posts and tweeting @autoslash on Twitter as well as posting in this thread aren't as fast (the support team doesn't monitor those, so they're not the best channels for individual support). (Original post)

Why should I use AutoSlash instead of just going directly to Priceline?
If you search on Priceline.com's homepage for a rental car rate, you'll just get the same rack rates that you'll find on the rental car companies' own sites (plus a mix of nonrefundable prepaid Express Deals rates). The pay-at-counter rates AutoSlash finds are different (and usually significantly lower) than the rates you'd find looking directly on Priceline due to the coupons and discounts AutoSlash applies.

Why are rates on AutoSlash the same or higher than what I've already found elsewhere?
Could be a couple of reasons. If any time has elapsed since you found the lower rate elsewhere, rates simply may have gone up. Compare rates within a few minutes of each other to make sure both results are fresh. A lower rate you found last week really means nothing if you compare it to a rate you found today. Also, make sure you're searching for the exact same itinerary--even adjusting the pick-up or drop-off time by one minute could affect rates, sometimes drastically, especially with all of the rate management games the rental companies engage in these days. Make sure, too, you're searching the exact same location--a small difference in location can be easily overlooked when searching for off-airport rentals. The easiest solution is to book what you found elsewhere and then submit it for price tracking—that way, it's assured to be an apples-to-apples comparison. If you found or booked the lower rate elsewhere within the last hour and AutoSlash can't beat it, there's probably something wrong somewhere. Reach out to [email protected] for assistance and you're virtually assured to come out with an even lower rate.

Are reservations I book through Priceline refundable?
The Pay Later rates AutoSlash finds are not prepaid and generally don't even require providing a credit card (a few exceptions apply depending on company and location—no-show fees are starting to make some appearances). Be sure to look for rates marked "Pay Later," "Pay At Counter," "Free Cancellation," or similar, or just avoid booking anything that asks you to enter a credit card number, to avoid accidentally booking one of Priceline's prepaid and nonrefundable Express Deals. If you match the rate AutoSlash quotes exactly (i.e. AutoSlash quotes a rate with Alamo of $142.62, and you find a rate with Alamo on Priceline of $142.62), then it should be fully cancelable without a penalty.

Why do I have to prepay now? Why did you change?
Nothing's changed—only a new, extra option! AutoSlash still searches the same pay-at-counter rates it always has, and they're still in your quote (marked as "Pay Later" and bookable via major online travel agencies). In addition, AutoSlash now also offers the option to directly book highly-discounted prepaid rates, which are often lower (they're marked in your quote as "Pay Now" or "Slash Deals"). But prepaying for your rental doesn't mean you're trading flexibility—prepaid Slash Deals rates can be canceled for a full refund up to 48 hours before the scheduled pick-up time.

Are prepaid Slash Deals rates booked directly through AutoSlash refundable?
Slash Deals reservations can be canceled up to 48 hours before pick-up (in the local time zone of the rental office) for a full refund without a penalty. Within 48 hours of pick-up, cancellations are subject to a cancellation fee equal to 1 day's charges. After the pick-up time, reservations are nonrefundable.

I booked a prepaid Slash Deal. What if my flight is canceled or the rental agency won't rent me a car?
The cancellation fees are set by contract between the car rental companies and the booking vendor AutoSlash uses. AutoSlash has a limited ability to request exceptions to the cancellation policy but can't guarantee refunds. AutoSlash recommends you always carry a good travel insurance policy to help minimize issues with prepaid travel arrangements. (Original post)

Can I add my loyalty program to a prepaid Slash Deals reservation?
Unfortunately, there isn't a way to do this (though it's understandably important to most people on FlyerTalk!). However, due to the way National's program works, you can still receive your Emerald Club benefits on prepaid bookings--just book and then use National as normal, including skipping the counter and choosing a car from the Emerald Aisle or Executive Selection as applicable, and the agent at the exit gate will associate the rental to your Emerald Club account using your driver's license number. While not guaranteed, rental credits (including One-Two Free hits) should post normally. To date, no one's posted any experiences attempting this with other rental companies (please post if you try this!).

Are prepaid Slash Deals safe to book? Can I trust AutoSlash?
The booking vendor behind prepaid Slash Deals rates, Connexions Loyalty, is one of the largest vendors in this sector. They power the booking portals for many major financial institutions' rewards portals, including Citi ThankYou Points and (until recently) Chase Ultimate Rewards, both products used by tens of thousands of FlyerTalk members (so hardly a fly-by-night operator). Connexions has robust contracts with the rental car companies for rates and inventory. At no point does AutoSlash ever have access to your credit card information; the travel.autoslash.com subdomain for booking Slash Deals rates is actually hosted by Connexions.

What happened to the grid?
The previous booking platform AutoSlash used was discontinued (it was a division of Travelocity that got bought by Orbitz and eventually folded into Expedia and then sunsetted). AirportRentalCars.com, a subsidiary of Priceline, does have a grid that actually works reasonably well, but their support for coupons and discounts is broken at the moment--hopefully they'll get it fixed at some point. Most other sites out there we've found with grids have half-baked or zero support for coupons and discounts, making them a non-starter.

Known Issues and Workarounds:

Off-airport rate not found: Occasionally, a rate AutoSlash finds in an off-airport quote request won't show up when you click on the Priceline link. This is usually due to Priceline's default search not including the location AutoSlash found. (Priceline dynamically adjusts their search radius based on a number of factors, and they also always search from the geographic center of the city, regardless of ) The current best workaround is to take the Priceline URL and append &radius=25 to the end, which will force Priceline to show all locations within 25 miles of the city center (this can be hundreds of results). You can use the filters on the left sidebar to help narrow down the results and make it easier to find the rate you're looking for. (Original post)

Customizing tracking results: AutoSlash support agents can adjust the reservation parameters (date/time/location/car size/membership affiliations/etc.) as well as filter out specific rental car companies and disable searching for prepaid rates. Reach out to [email protected] or reply to your tracking confirmation or offer email for help with this.

Feature Requests:
  • User profiles -- it's coming--slowly, yes, but it's finally on the development timeline
  • Mobile-friendly design -- in progress
  • App -- not much benefit to one until user profiles are rolled out. Let's get mobile-friendly design perfected first.
  • Retain membership/affiliation choices in a cookie -- RESOLVED
Print Wikipost

Autoslash (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
I'm getting through Autoslash, a great coupon for National Rent a Car called 'TA COUPONS' which I can only find the name on the reservation in the National site after I make the reservation via autoslash link to Priceline. I would like to apply the coupon for a leisure booking with my employer's contract rate negotiated CDP.... is there any way to extract the coupon, or apply my own CDP?

Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:55 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
I'm getting through Autoslash, a great coupon for National Rent a Car called 'TA COUPONS' which I can only find the name on the reservation in the National site after I make the reservation via autoslash link to Priceline. I would like to apply the coupon for a leisure booking with my employer's contract rate negotiated CDP.... is there any way to extract the coupon, or apply my own CDP?

Thanks!
Please email [email protected] along with the contract ID you'd like to apply and we'll see what we can do.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:32 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Just another shout-out and tribute to @AutoSlash: My rental car was broken into and vandalized last week; in off-line conversation with Autoslash staff, they were both quick to respond and wonderfully helpful about understanding the situation and process I need to follow. ^^^
dhammer53, AutoSlash and SoroSuub1 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Just another shout-out and tribute to @AutoSlash: My rental car was broken into and vandalized last week; in off-line conversation with Autoslash staff, they were both quick to respond and wonderfully helpful about understanding the situation and process I need to follow. ^^^
Sorry to hear! So what did you learn?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:21 pm

what's gotrentalcars.com ? I was amazed this hour: they produced a 20% cheaper rate in Spain than autoslash
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:18 am

A few enhancements have been released in the last day or so to our offers page (the one you see when you click through from one of our quote or tracking emails). They are as follows:

1. For certain companies (mainly the discount brands), you'll now see an option to book directly with AutoSlash vs. Priceline.com for pay-later deals. These direct-book deals are in addition to the existing direct-book prepay deals we've been offering since last summer.

2. For the pay-later rates, you'll now usually see an expandable button with options for a) Express Checkout and b) Browse all Vehicles. Express Checkout is designed to take you directly to the checkout page of our booking site or Priceline.com to book that exact vehicle type at the price quoted. If you know exactly what you want, this is the fastest way to complete your booking. If you're not sure what you want or you'd just like to check out the available options, use the Browse all Vehicles option to see various options and sort/filter/etc.

3. When using the Express Checkout feature to book off-airport rentals, the system will analyze your pickup and return location and choose the rental office closest to your request location(s) that have the lowest price. To put it another way, being true to our mission, price trumps everything. If there is a rental office 1 mile from your requested pickup location for $100 and there is another that is 3 miles away for $90, Express Checkout will send you to the one 3 miles away for $90 on the assumption you want the lowest price possible. Of course, this may not always be the case, so if you find the location(s) offered do not meet your needs, just return to the offers page and click the Browse all Vehicles button instead to shop around.

4. We now show where and how the vehicle is to be picked up. There are 4 possible options:
  • Pick-up at-airport: No shuttle needed
  • Pick-up at airport rental center: Shuttle needed
  • Pick-up off-airport: Shuttle needed
  • Pick-up off-airport: 2 shuttles needed
We'd like to point out here that we were unhappy with the accuracy of the information provided by the major online travel agencies, so we undertook an effort to collect this data ourselves for the top 200 or so airports. We found that the rental companies like to game the system (or the data was just entered in error) and report that they are located on-airport when they are really off-airport in some cases. One of our team became an expert at ferreting out exactly where each and every company is located at every airport to make sure that our customers have 100% accurate info. That said, conditions do change, rental companies move, etc. so if anyone sees any inaccuracies, please feel free to let us know here or via email to our support team.

5. Another feature we're particularly proud of is that we now display when and where an additional driver may be included as part of the deal. We spent many hours analyzing and building a system that could accurately figure out the two primary additional driver scenarios which are:
  • Any additional driver included at no charge
  • A spouse included at no charge
We'll display this info on the offers page. It takes into account company policy, location, and discount code used. As part of this effort, we've also updated our blog post on additional driver fees, with a focus on the states that automatically allow spouses to drive for free by law. We've even linked each state name to the relevant statutes, so if there is ever any question at the rental counter or after the fact, you can refer back to the links in the post and quote chapter and verse of why it's allowed in that particular state. Note that in these states your spouse does not need to be listed as an additional driver on the contract. Spouses are automatically additional drivers, so don't fall for the trap of paying extra.

6. We're now offering significantly discounted hotel rates to any customers who book a car rental through us. You'll see the links to be directed to our hotel booking engine to book at the discounted rates when you go through our normal process of requesting a quote or a tracking request. Note that this is a first baby step. We've got lots more in store in the area of hotels in the not-too-distant future in terms of better rates, expanded availability and more of the type of functionality you've grown to expect from AutoSlash on the car side, so stay tuned here!

Lastly, and speaking of the future, we've got some cool stuff planned in the area of higher-end and/or specialty vehicles. These are sometimes hard to find/book unless you go to each rental company's website separately. Sometimes the major OTAs show these vehicles, but it's scattershot. We're working on ways to show customers the available specialty vehicle options during the quote process so you can get a quote alongside other more standard type vehicles you might be interested in. The idea being that if you're planning to rent say a Standard SUV, but we find that a Luxury SUV may only be a few more dollars, you might jump on that instead. We're still in the conceptual stage here, but we hope to have more to report in the coming months, so stay tuned here as well.

Thanks for everyone's support here. It is truly appreciated!
dhammer53, dayone, sokolov and 7 others like this.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Mar 9, 2019 at 9:14 am
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:14 am

hear hear!!

I hope you can perfect Passenger Vans, as some engines (Costco?) fail. It may be easier said than done, they're often thrown in with minivans; or way too often indicated unavailable
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
hear hear!!

I hope you can perfect Passenger Vans, as some engines (Costco?) fail. It may be easier said than done, they're often thrown in with minivans; or way too often indicated unavailable
Many times, Fullsize Passenger Vans are unavailable, but we do agree that there is lots of room for improvement here. Part of the issue is that the various rental companies use different vehicle classifications for their van offerings. Minivans (at least in the US and Canada) are typically classed as MVAR and hold 7 passengers. This classification made things easy until Dollar/Thrifty decided to get cute and start using IVAR (Intermediate Van) to refer to the exact same class of vehicle (a Dodge Caravan or similar). It was more of a marketing ploy to cater to people who might think an IVAR was bigger/better than an MVAR (it was not). Then EHI came along and introduced a new class in the US as an SVAR for their brands (Enterprise, National, and Alamo). This is typically an 8-passenger model like the Toyota Sienna. EHI is typically the only company who offers this distinction with SVAR although they are much less common than MVARs.

Most Fullsize Passenger vans are classed as FVAR in the US/CA, but we've seen lots of outliers like PVAR (Premium Passenger Van), OVAR (Overwise Passenger Van), GVAR (Fullsize Elite Passenger Van), UVAR (Premium Elite Passenger Van). We have a hierarchy in place, but our suppliers don't always return accurate availability for them.

Outside of the US and Canada, MVAR is a less typical designation. Many European locations use CVAR, SVAR (very common for the larger-size vehicles), PVAR, LVAR, etc. They also use the second letter of "M" (Monospace) to indicate a van, so you might have an IMMR (Intermediate Monospace with Manual transmission).

In short, it becomes challenging when different companies and even different locations of the same company refer to the same vehicle types differently. The corporate locations tend to be better than the franchises who often seem to just make it up as they go. We'll work on making sense of the chaos for our customers though and give you more options. As always, feel free to reach out to our support team if you're not finding something that meets your needs. We have a very experienced team of travel hackers who we feel are the best out there, so don't hesitate to get in touch.
strickerj and m907 like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:24 am

Awesome to hear you guys are working on more specialty vehicles!

I only rent for pleasure, sports cars only, so while Autoslash has been helpful for looking up i.e. convertibles, it hasn't been useful for trying to find i.e. v8 muscle cars. This probably represents an uncommon user scenario, but it's great to hear you guys are constantly improving and expanding your services.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by glostix
Awesome to hear you guys are working on more specialty vehicles!

I only rent for pleasure, sports cars only, so while Autoslash has been helpful for looking up i.e. convertibles, it hasn't been useful for trying to find i.e. v8 muscle cars. This probably represents an uncommon user scenario, but it's great to hear you guys are constantly improving and expanding your services.
In the short-term, go ahead and just book at any random rate at the site of your preference (Expedia, Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, etc.) and track it with us and we should hopefully find the best deal available. Typically a V8 muscle car is classed as an SSAR and it will get you something along the lines of a Mustang GT, Camaro SS, Challenger GT, etc. Our suppliers return those pretty consistently, so results should be good by booking this class and tracking. There are some higher-end models with various other codes that Hertz and others use. We have access to those as well, but your results will be best with SSAR since that designation is pretty consistent across the major companies.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just paid for a car through your site.

I chose the Hertz option, since I have Hertz status.

But I can't figure out how to get my Hertz number into the reservation. Any tips on that?

Next, do I need to now track this reservation like I would have had to if I had made it through Autoslash -> Priceline?

Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I just paid for a car through your site.

I chose the Hertz option, since I have Hertz status.

But I can't figure out how to get my Hertz number into the reservation. Any tips on that?
Prepaid reservations (they are booked through Connexions Loyalty, which may be a familiar name to anyone who's used the Chase Ultimate Rewards or Citi ThankYou Points portals in the past) are not able to have frequent renter loyalty program numbers added to them. You may have some luck adding it at the Gold booth/Gold line at the actual rental location to help with a faster rental experience, but your mileage may vary on whether any status benefits or point earnings apply.

Originally Posted by josephstern
Next, do I need to now track this reservation like I would have had to if I had made it through Autoslash -> Priceline?

Thanks
Yes, they are booked through a different system that doesn't really talk to our tracking system, so once you make the reservation, you can enter it at https://www.autoslash.com/track just like any other booking. It's on our list to make the process more seamless.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
FYI I have been obtaining killer rates from Hertz with their Pay Now rates. Sorry Autoslash they are making it so easy these days!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
FYI I have been obtaining killer rates from Hertz with their Pay Now rates. Sorry Autoslash they are making it so easy these days!
We're always happy when our customers get killer deals! Be sure to enter them for tracking though as you never know if/when a better deal will come along!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
​​​​​​Maybe you're not using the right coupons? I'm yet to run into a situation where pay now is cheaper than coupons and a pay later rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.