Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

Poll About Gideon Bibles in Hotel Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poll About Gideon Bibles in Hotel Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:40 am

Actually Gutenberg was given a small pension by the church and records suggest he died a Franciscan tertiary (lay friar). He was well thought of by the church at that time.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by dnotes
i think thats called developing your talents and putting it to good use. For Him and His glory, right? :P
Yeah sumpin like that.
In LA, you have to expect a little Hollywood.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:04 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by Analise
I take for granted when I travel that churches will have Bibles/prayer books available in each of the pews. I see it's not the case for denominations outside of my own.
Can't speak for all denominations, but I certainly expect to find a Bible and a hymnal in the pew back of any Methodist church I attend.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:42 am

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
I go nowhere without my Palm. And on my Palm Treo 650 is........ the Bible. I have had a few odd looks when traveling "is he checking his email?!?!?" but usually smile and tilt the screen toward them so they can see I have a Bible in there.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:59 am

Programs: Skyteam, Starwood, DMV Point Program
Only slightly related:

On my recent trip through Dubai, I was quite amused to see that the nightstand had a sticker on it which conveniently pointed the way to Mecca - and in the drawer below was a Gideon Bible.

Those folks sure do get around!
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KevAZ
I go nowhere without my Palm. And on my Palm Treo 650 is........ the Bible. I have had a few odd looks when traveling "is he checking his email?!?!?" but usually smile and tilt the screen toward them so they can see I have a Bible in there.
Way cool! I'm ordering a Treo for a new job I started a few weeks ago. Which translation is it???
Old Feb 12, 2006, 8:13 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
For when the Bible isn't in that drawer....

OnePlace.com. It has downloadable mp3's from the most recent messeges/teaching series of TONS & TONS of noted speakers, Bible teachers, etc.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT
It never has occurred to me to take the Gideon Bible with me out of the room. I guess my subconscious is worried that someone might think I was stealing a Bible. However, I was in a church yesterday where I could have used one. I forgot my Bible and looked under the pew, in the hymnal holders, etc. No Bibles. The scripture was projected on a screen, but I prefer to look them up myself, so I can see the surrounding context. Ditto for the words to the hymns--projected on a screen. I like to see the music.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:32 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
my own 2cents

Originally Posted by auntsandy24c
its very sad about the seeker friendly churchs. it is like they dont want the Bible in the church at all. it might makie the new comers feel guilty. whew maybe they have committed a sin and the Bible would show it up.
--------------------------------------------------------
Here's what bothers me to this day, not the lack of a Bible in church.

I once moved to a new city with a child. Trying desperately to find a church in an area I was initially familiar with, I did an internet search to stay in my region for fear of getting too lost. I think I had been in town literally two days. Found one I thought I could find and immediately told my son to quickly get ready even if we were late.

Got there and met the pastor after service with a huge welcoming smile on his face...

Couldn't help but notice the songs on the bulletin chosen for the service;
Remember I got there late, so I didn't have the opportunity to sing.
One song was a Cheryl Crow song and the other was a Blue Oyster Cult selection. I was mystified. The pastor explained that his church had a kind of target audience for those that had "given up" on attending church but would attend church if it wasn't "church". Now, he didn't use those words, but it was the only way I could understand it. With the explosion of alternative and contemporary Christian music that is so REAL out there, I could not understand why it would be necessary to deceive people to enjoy rock music in the church to get them to church. I don't go to church to hear music I wouldn't even select on my radio dial.

I am sure not all seeker services are this way gratefully.

I pray for all who want to know who God is and how much HE really loves us!!! God bless the Gideon movement.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:40 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Smile Oh Yeah....

Originally Posted by Analise
This thread has been very interesting. I had no idea that screen presentations were used in church services.
-------------------------------------
Absolutely.....gone are the days when you sneaked in the back but could not enjoy/participate/read what everyone in the front and middle was getting!!

No more neck stretching to see.....no more feeling left out because everyone else had their eyes on the pages of the Bible.

Technology is for everyone.....even for churches! After all, God is an outstanding inventor and engineer who shares all His good ideas!!!

Last edited by jan_believes; Feb 25, 2006 at 11:41 am Reason: better intensity in expression
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:44 am

Gideon Bible in Dubai

Originally Posted by SuiJuris
Only slightly related:

On my recent trip through Dubai, I was quite amused to see that the nightstand had a sticker on it which conveniently pointed the way to Mecca - and in the drawer below was a Gideon Bible.

Those folks sure do get around!
---------------------------------
Yes, their vision stays strong!!!
Old Feb 28, 2006, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jan_believes
--------------------------------------------------------
Here's what bothers me to this day, not the lack of a Bible in church.

I once moved to a new city with a child. Trying desperately to find a church in an area I was initially familiar with, I did an internet search to stay in my region for fear of getting too lost. I think I had been in town literally two days. Found one I thought I could find and immediately told my son to quickly get ready even if we were late.

Got there and met the pastor after service with a huge welcoming smile on his face...

Couldn't help but notice the songs on the bulletin chosen for the service;
Remember I got there late, so I didn't have the opportunity to sing.
One song was a Cheryl Crow song and the other was a Blue Oyster Cult selection. I was mystified. The pastor explained that his church had a kind of target audience for those that had "given up" on attending church but would attend church if it wasn't "church". Now, he didn't use those words, but it was the only way I could understand it. With the explosion of alternative and contemporary Christian music that is so REAL out there, I could not understand why it would be necessary to deceive people to enjoy rock music in the church to get them to church. I don't go to church to hear music I wouldn't even select on my radio dial.

I am sure not all seeker services are this way gratefully.

I pray for all who want to know who God is and how much HE really loves us!!! God bless the Gideon movement.
Jan -- Check your PM...
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:43 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, UA 1P, CO Elite
My husbands Palm has the NIV translation of the Bible. He loves it...check it out at mybible.com
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:06 am
btr

Programs: IHG, MP, Enterprise+
In my experience, the Evangelical traditions tend to be more focussed on congregational Bible reading (during church) - be it in one of those old-fashioned books or on a nifty new LCD screen ), whereas the more staid liturgical traditions tend to have officiants or members of the church read the selected passages of the day.

One can argue the validity of either side - one saying, especially for New Testament readings, that many of these were letters meant to be read to the recipient congregations. Others make the argument that comprehension is aided by visual as well as aural cues. I, for one, have always done better by being able to sit back, close my eyes, and concentrate on what I'm hearing.

I've been in my share of churches on both sides of this, and I've never been made uncomfortable about not carrying a Bible (with one exception that's way off-topic). If offered one, I will generally take one, and keep it with my hymnal.

Oddly, I'm more likely to carry a hymnal with me. Generally because I enjoy singing, but I've a lousy memory. In churches that only project words, I find it helpful to have a "cheat-sheet" with me. Of course, it helps to to have a wide selection of hymnals at home, and a guilty knowledge of the hymn-selection process at the church in question. Let's just say that organists and other musicians get the music from somewhere
Old Mar 29, 2006, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by btr
In my experience, the Evangelical traditions tend to be more focussed on congregational Bible reading (during church) - be it in one of those old-fashioned books or on a nifty new LCD screen ), whereas the more staid liturgical traditions tend to have officiants or members of the church read the selected passages of the day.

One can argue the validity of either side - one saying, especially for New Testament readings, that many of these were letters meant to be read to the recipient congregations. Others make the argument that comprehension is aided by visual as well as aural cues. I, for one, have always done better by being able to sit back, close my eyes, and concentrate on what I'm hearing.
The Episcopal service has lay readers for the OT and clergy for the NT and the Gospel. In the pews are copies of the Bible for people to read along if they choose to do so. I like to do that because it helps me pay more attention to the lessons. So we marry both the Protestant and Catholic sides of liturgical worship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.