Wiki Posts
Search

Another one bites the dust... Mount Laurel NJ

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2006, 9:46 pm
ALW
Original Poster

Another one bites the dust... Mount Laurel NJ

On a recent trip south, we stayed mostly in Country Inn and Suites properties on award stays. Very nice ones in the 25K category, one in 15K was okay but older and already getting tired.

They seemed a much better bargain for a highway traveller than the dated tired properties of the main Radisson chain. Actually better for a longer stay, I'd wager.

On the last night, our only choice was the Radisson in Mount Laurel NJ. No surprise, very dated, very tired, though the room was clean, the high-speed was free, and we got a Sleep Number bed.

There are signs (literal and figurative) of renovations, and this is going to become a Marriott later this year, probably April 2006 according to the person we spoke to there.

What's up with Radisson? Is this a conscious effort to cull the herd of the run-down or tired properties (Mount Laurel, Deauville M.B., etc.)? If so, I think Philadelphia, West Palm Beach, and even Marco Island, must be on the chopping block. The Boca Suites was very nice, though the Boca Bridge and Fort Lauderdale had the look of a place overdue for a renovation when we were there three years ago.

Thanks!
=aw
Old Jan 14, 2006, 7:52 pm
CHW

Originally Posted by Andrew Webber
What's up with Radisson? Is this a conscious effort to cull the herd of the run-down or tired properties (Mount Laurel, Deauville M.B., etc.)?
Actually, yes it is. Carlson is currently refocusing the Radisson brand based on extensive consumer research.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:50 am
ALW
Original Poster

Jeff, thanks for confirming that. I wasn't being sarcastic, it seemed pretty obvious. Though it doesn't seem they're opening too many (at least not anywhere I want to go). I guess Country Inns at 25K will have to become my new mainstay. (main stay, geddit? ).

=aw
Old Jan 15, 2006, 7:00 pm
CHW

Originally Posted by Andrew Webber
Though it doesn't seem they're opening too many (at least not anywhere I want to go).=aw
Radisson is indeed expanding, but not too rapidly. The chain is a little more than half way through a 5-year branding process.

In the words of Carlson Hotels' president... "When the day comes when all five brands are optimized and running the best they can and we have solved all the issues and problems, that's the time to expand."

And P.S... yeah... I got it.

Last edited by CHW; Jan 15, 2006 at 7:04 pm
Old Jan 16, 2006, 7:53 am
tgw

Cleaning house

I've noticed increased hotels closings as well from Radisson. I generally like Radisson properties, but it seems the ones that I've stayed at that were sub-par are no longer represented by the chain.

Lynchburg, VA
Williamsburg, VA
Greensboro, NC
New Orleans, LA
Tallahassee, FL
Atlanta, GA

I also read on MSNBC that the Witchita, KS property is gone (never stayed there), citing the hotels refusal to purchase the new beds among other things.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA *G
Burlington VT also went to Wyndham.
I have no clue of why that happened.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:29 pm
tgw

Wow... there really are a lot of hotels closing. Just tried to book the Atlanta property but its also gone. Definately NOT a sub-par hotel IMO. I loved this place.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:15 pm

Jeff (CHW), I'll definitely be interested in the day when Park Inns (and, to a lesser extent, Park Plaza) are "optimized and running the best they can and we have solved all the issues and problems."

It sounds like people might be interested in knowing which properties have left the brands. Maybe once a month or so, you could pull together all the Offline Notices and post something here about the properties that have left the system? (Not stating the reasons or who the properties will now be repped by, but just giving the info on which properties are gone.) Also, info on any conversions (i.e., Radisson to Park) might be helpful for folks to see here.

Thanks for the replies you have posted recently. Not sure if it is related or not, but I have seen more activity in the RD forum lately than I have in quite a while. It still isn't one of the more "happening" forums, but it seems as if there are more posts than in the past...
Old Feb 2, 2006, 6:12 pm
CHW

Hotel Closings

Radisson Hotel San Bernadino Convention Center
Radisson Hotel Seattle Airport
Radisson Hotel Santa Fe
Radison Suite Hotel Houston West
Park Plaza Relient Center, Houston
Radisson Bahia Mar Resort, Fort Lauderdale

Last edited by CHW; Feb 2, 2006 at 6:20 pm
Old Feb 4, 2006, 12:48 pm
ALW
Original Poster

FLL's been gone for a while, hasn't it? It wasn't coming up back in December. Or maybe it was still closed for hurricane repair.

In any case, thanks for the update! If Radisson can turn itself into a chain with greater predictability of quality (variation in details is fine and to be encouraged), it will be worth the short-term pain of losing properties (IMHO anyway).

=aw
Old Feb 5, 2006, 9:29 am
CHW

Another Closing

Radisson Hotel & Conference Center Syracuse, NY
Old Feb 5, 2006, 6:27 pm

The Radisson Hotel & Conference Center in Bloomington, IL (BMI) became a DoubleTree on Jan. 01 of this year. It was pretty run down but they put in a couple million dollars worth of renovations before the conversion.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 6:31 am
CHW

The Radisson Hotel Casper, WY has been reflagged to Best Western.

The Radisson Hotel San Antonio Airport has been reflagged to Crowne Plaza.

The Radisson Hotel & Country Inn & Suites Augusta, GA Riverfront has been reflagged to Marriott.

Last edited by CHW; Feb 9, 2006 at 10:20 pm
Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:08 am
CHW

Hotel Closings

Radisson Resort Knott's Berry Farm, Buena Park, CA
Radisson Huntley Hotel, Santa Monica, CA

Both hotels are now operating independently.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The Radisson in Fort Myers, Florida has been reflagged to a Clarion. OMG, what an awful place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.