Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Radisson to split into 2 programs: North America & rest of world, in June 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2021, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: _kurt
Program Split
2 separate programs exist now, Radisson Rewards Americas and Radisson Rewards. Americas members who want to redeem points for stays outside the Americas must first create an account in the other program and transfer points at this page. If you just want to check the points price in advance, find the property at RadissonHotels.com instead of RadissonHotelsAmericas.com

Transferring Points Between Programs
Points can be transferred free of charge between Radisson Rewards America and Radisson Rewards accounts held by the same person. The first name, last name, and email address must match between the accounts in order for the transfer to be permitted. Otherwise you will get an error "We were not able to confirm your account information."

Transferring points is instantaneous. In order to initiate a transfer, first log in to the account from which you will be transferring. Then visit the appropriate page:
Radisson Rewards Americas to Radisson Rewards:
https://www.radissonhotelsamericas.c...oints-transfer
Radisson Rewards to Radisson Rewards Americas:
https://www.radissonhotels.com/en-us...pointstransfer

The FAQ indicates that transfers are limited to 1,000,000 points per transfer, 5,000,000 points per year, and 25 transfers per year.

Status Match
The Radisson Hotels website indicates "simply join the Radisson Rewards Americas program and call Member Services before your stay to request a status match for Silver, Gold, or Platinum tiers." Reports in the forum vary with some having success and some getting frustration.
Print Wikipost

Radisson to split into 2 programs: North America & rest of world, in June 2021

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2021, 7:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by stevek0202
If this is a cyber security issue, I suppose all hotel chains based outside the U.S. would take similar actions? What do we have, Radisson, Accor, Mandarin Oriental, Shangri-La, Peninsula, and Aman?
My guess is that they will be looking to sell off the Americas part of Radisson since they never got the same traction here as they did in Europe. Merely speculating though.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 9:49 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
I am not sure I buy that flow chat. I am a US resident but all my past bookings have been in Europe and per the email I got yesterday I'll be moved to the US side of things.
Same here. Calibrate your expectations.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DallasEsq
My guess is that they will be looking to sell off the Americas part of Radisson since they never got the same traction here as they did in Europe. Merely speculating though.
That's my hunch as well. No evidence to support it though LOL

I wonder if your account placement has already been determined or if they'll do the "check" when the system begins to take shape?
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I interpret the flowchart as suggesting that if you stay all over, which program you (initially?) belong to will be based on where you live.

Could this be a points devaluation if the majority of existing points are placed in a less generous version of the program. Is there a commitment that points transfer back and forth costlessly and at a 1:1 ratio?
Old Apr 8, 2021, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by milesforhire
I wonder if your account placement has already been determined or if they'll do the "check" when the system begins to take shape?
You should have received an email already telling you either that your account will be converted to Radisson Americas or that your account will remain unchanged and no action is needed unless you want to redeem in the Americas.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 4:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could this be a points devaluation if the majority of existing points are placed in a less generous version of the program.
No.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is there a commitment that points transfer back and forth costlessly and at a 1:1 ratio?
Yes, unless you don't believe the company.

Will I be able to transfer points between the Radisson Rewards Americas and Radisson Rewards program?

Yes, you will have the opportunity to transfer your points at a 1:1 rate between programs (for free!) using our new Global Points Transfer process launching in June.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
It seems to be implied that the transfer of points between programs can happen multiple times, but it's also possible they'll either allow the transfer once or, more likely, stop allowing transfers at some point in the future. I can't imagine they'd want transfers to continue indefinitely if they're going through all this trouble to split the program in the first place.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
It seems to be implied that the transfer of points between programs can happen multiple times, but it's also possible they'll either allow the transfer once or, more likely, stop allowing transfers at some point in the future. I can't imagine they'd want transfers to continue indefinitely if they're going through all this trouble to split the program in the first place.
Again.....where are you getting this logic? What good would it do them to limit the transfers? Just because it’s fun and they want to piss people off? Sorry but there is absolutely no indication that anything like this is on the horizon. I’m sure we can all come up with a ton of horrible scenarios but what good is that at this point?
writerguyfl and the810 like this.

Last edited by christianj; Apr 10, 2021 at 11:56 am
Old Apr 11, 2021, 3:23 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
They are going through the trouble because of regulatory requirements, not because they wish to have two separate programs.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 8:09 am

Note: This is personal commentary about the history of Radisson. If you're only interested in what's happening today and how it affects your travel, feel free to skip over this post.

Originally Posted by jsn55
Curt Carlson would be aghast at this latest dumb move by Radisson. Growing up in Minnesota, Radisson Downtown Minneapolis was a really big deal, and some of their European properties are spectacular ... so the brand's had my loyalty in spite of themselves. Today I got the email about the separation of international and domestic ... only because I "read everything" did I have a look at it right away. OK, I said, another wrinkle in the corporate foolishness ... remember Residor and all the name changes??
I spent nearly a decade working at that "flagship" property in Downtown Minneapolis. Everyone from the General Manager down to the hourly workers took pride in the fact that we were the first Radisson and (arguably) one of the best in the chain.

Although the original hotel was razed and a new mixed-use tower was built in it's place, the history of the hotel was always a part of new employee orientation. The following information (compiled by Carlson Companies' Public Relations Department) was a part of the training. While I was there the Executive Housekeeper had parts of that history translated into the Hmong language because a large portion of the Housekeeping staff were Hmong.

https://www.hotel-online.com/News/Sp...l_Jan1998.html

While I didn't have more than short superficial interactions with Curt Carlson, I had several friends at the hotel who worked directly with "the Family." It wasn't unusual for a chef, our catering manager, and a group of hotel employees to be requested to run an event at the Corporate Office or the family home. Everyone who ever did those events always said positive things about Mr. and Mrs. Carlson. (Like many businesses, that hotel was full of gossip mongers. If the Carlsons weren't nice, we would have heard about it.)

Based on my experience, I concur with your statement about Curt Carlson's opinion on this move. Pardon my dark humor, but I'm guessing he turned over in his grave. The good news, however, is that he's probably resting more comfortably today (assuming turns aren't 360 degrees) because he undoubtedly turned over the first time when his granddaughter sold the hotels to the Chinese conglomerate in the first place.
TTT103 and the810 like this.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Apr 11, 2021 at 8:10 am Reason: Added note.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 8:43 am

If we are dreaming up horrible end of the world scenarios that might result from this change, maybe we should also dream what positive things could come out of this change.

There have been rumors for a while now that Jin Jiangs other hotels would be rolled into the program and that they would then be opened up for redemptions. Radisson even publicly announce this a couple of years ago. Now I’m not screaming that I want to stay at one of their properties in China BUT if I am not mistaken, Jin Jiang also owns Louvre Hotel Group and that might be something really interesting! For those that don’t know, Louvre owns and manages around 1200 properties under various brands including Golden Tulip, Kyriad and a high end group called Hotels & Preference which has around 150 luxury hotels. Details of the Louvre brands and the Preference properties can be found here:

https://www.louvrehotels.com/en/our-brands

https://www.hotelspreference.com/en/...anguage#search

There’s even a reference to all these chains and Jin Jiang on the following page:

https://www.louvrehotels.com/en/jin-jiang

Could we see all these rolled into the new program? It would be a dream come true and I would gladly go through the extra effort of transferring points between two programs to be able to use my Radisson points at some of those Preference Hotels.

Last edited by christianj; Apr 11, 2021 at 8:53 am
Old Apr 11, 2021, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Radisson to split into 2 programs: North America & rest of world, in June 2021

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/r...l-markets.html

At least you'll be able to transfer points between the two programs, but it's unclear at this point if you'll be able to combine elite nights between the two programs or not. If not, that could hurt people who split their stays between North America and the rest of the world.

While Radisson won't be the only program split up (Choice is split up even more), it's the first one I can think of where status has some meaning.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 2:01 pm

There’s already a thread on this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 3:24 pm

I alerted the mods to combine this thread with https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/radi...icas-only.html since neither this post nor the Joe Cortez post featured on the front page contain any new information beyond that which has already been discussed in this forum more than two weeks ago.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by christianj
There have been rumors for a while now that Jin Jiangs other hotels would be rolled into the program and that they would then be opened up for redemptions. Radisson even publicly announce this a couple of years ago. Now I’m not screaming that I want to stay at one of their properties in China BUT if I am not mistaken, Jin Jiang also owns Louvre Hotel Group and that might be something really interesting! For those that don’t know, Louvre owns and manages around 1200 properties under various brands including Golden Tulip, Kyriad and a high end group called Hotels & Preference which has around 150 luxury hotels. Details of the Louvre brands and the Preference properties can be found here:

Could we see all these rolled into the new program? It would be a dream come true and I would gladly go through the extra effort of transferring points between two programs to be able to use my Radisson points at some of those Preference Hotels.
I was actually hoping that Radisson was going to incorporate Golden Tulip and Campanile into the portfolio. But now, even if that were to happen, they would not be in the "Americas" program. And judging by the email I received from them, I will be placed into the Americas program. And I think this has to do with the fact that several years ago I did stay a few times at two of their properties in the States: the Radisson at LAX and the one at DCA. Ironically, both of those hotels are no longer part of the chain. What is also confusing is that I cannot willingly choose to be in the "Other" program, but I will have to set up an account with them nonetheless if I want to redeem an award at one of those properties, as well as stay at one while paying a cash rate.

I look forward to the more information they will be telling us later this month. But at this point, I'm going to eventually exit this program once all my points have been used up. And what's funny is that had Radisson done a halving of their elite threshold requirements this year (like Hilton and Hyatt did), I would seriously have tried to reach Platinum status. I used to have it in the past (but wasn't it called Concierge, or somethng?), and the breakfast benefit would be something I could make use of, since there are no Hampton or Holiday Inn Express type of brands within the Radisson portfolio in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.