Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Radisson to split into 2 programs: North America & rest of world, in June 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2021, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: _kurt
Program Split
2 separate programs exist now, Radisson Rewards Americas and Radisson Rewards. Americas members who want to redeem points for stays outside the Americas must first create an account in the other program and transfer points at this page. If you just want to check the points price in advance, find the property at RadissonHotels.com instead of RadissonHotelsAmericas.com

Transferring Points Between Programs
Points can be transferred free of charge between Radisson Rewards America and Radisson Rewards accounts held by the same person. The first name, last name, and email address must match between the accounts in order for the transfer to be permitted. Otherwise you will get an error "We were not able to confirm your account information."

Transferring points is instantaneous. In order to initiate a transfer, first log in to the account from which you will be transferring. Then visit the appropriate page:
Radisson Rewards Americas to Radisson Rewards:
https://www.radissonhotelsamericas.c...oints-transfer
Radisson Rewards to Radisson Rewards Americas:
https://www.radissonhotels.com/en-us...pointstransfer

The FAQ indicates that transfers are limited to 1,000,000 points per transfer, 5,000,000 points per year, and 25 transfers per year.

Status Match
The Radisson Hotels website indicates "simply join the Radisson Rewards Americas program and call Member Services before your stay to request a status match for Silver, Gold, or Platinum tiers." Reports in the forum vary with some having success and some getting frustration.
Print Wikipost

Radisson to split into 2 programs: North America & rest of world, in June 2021

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2021, 4:13 pm

I have logged in to the EMEA version (radissonhotels.com). My point balance shows. You seem to have to click through the "Redeem" button to get points options to show. I am not sure how far into the future Radisson allowed you to book, but I found availability with points In London through the end of this year. I couldn't see points as an available option past the first couple of days of Jan 2022.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Susan4
From email today: (Bold added by me)
“Is anything changing with my Radisson Rewards membership? Not today! In June, your membership, benefits and point balance will automatically transition to the Radisson Rewards Americas program. You'll continue to earn and redeem rewards just like you already have been doing at our hotels throughout the United States, Canada, Latin America and the Caribbean.

However, you will need to take additional steps to earn and redeem for hotel stays in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia Pacific. Stay tuned for more information.
You will still be able to earn and redeem points worldwide, but you will need to register in two programs - the global Radisson Rewards and separate Radisson Rewards Americas. You will be able to transfer the points between the two, so you can pool them to book anywhere.

How is status going to work is not clear yet. Hopefully you will be able to pool elite nights.

Last edited by the810; Apr 6, 2021 at 4:31 pm
Old Apr 6, 2021, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
can anyone even see points bookings?
nm: looks like you have to log in and click redeem instead of being able to see them with the rates
Old Apr 6, 2021, 6:53 pm

Programs: KE Morning Calm, FB Gold, Hilton Dia, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Radisson VIP, Hyatt Disc
If this is a cyber security issue, I suppose all hotel chains based outside the U.S. would take similar actions? What do we have, Radisson, Accor, Mandarin Oriental, Shangri-La, Peninsula, and Aman?
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Man is their IT messed up right now. It does appear the conversion may already partially in place. Using my existing Radisson account I appear only to be able to log into www.radissonhotelsamericas.com but not www.radissonhotels.com (I am US based though the vast majority of my stays have been in Europe). The problem is that you can only book hotels in the Americas on the former site and if you try to search in Europe or the Middle East it directs you to the latter site which I am not able to log into. That means right now I cannot book hotels elsewhere in the world on points which I'd actually like to do.

Edit: Never mind it looks like you may need to clear your cache. I was able to login to the international site via incognito.
I'm in the same position as you: U.S. based while all of my stays are in Europe. It is going to be a major inconvenience to have to deal with two separate entities to make one award booking. I really do hope this makes one of these two entities an easier target for an acquisition by another chain. Because once I use up all of my points, I think I'm going to give up on this program.

But I'm wondering, if all of my stays are in Europe, can I just particpate in the "other" program and avoid staying with Radisson within the Americas? Or is this residence based?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 10:51 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by the810
How is status going to work is not clear yet. Hopefully you will be able to pool elite nights.
It sounds like they will give status match between the two, but nights will certainly not be pooled. So for people spending half their nights in North America vs Rest of World, reaching top tier elite status will be twice as difficult as for people who have all their stays in the same zone.

Originally Posted by christianj
Why don't we wait and see what the changes are (if any other than creating two accounts and having to transfer between them) before we scream the Titanic is sinking. In the end it might just be an inconvenience but not the end of the world like you guys are making it out to be.
I am not a member of Radisson because their loyalty program was already the worst that I knew of, prior to this change. So please do not interpret my message as venting or screaming that the Titanic is sinking because there is zero impact on me. That said, my personal opinion is there is enough info available about this change to criticize. Two loyalty programs, making people transfer points, status match, heck even two different apps and two websites for booking hotels in different parts of the world? "Inconvenience" is a very light way to put it to be honest! Not only is this insane and anti-customer oriented, but the explanation provided in the Q&A makes zero sense:
Why will there be two different loyalty programs?
"Radisson Hotels and Radisson Hotels Americas are launching a second program, Radisson Rewards Americas program, to deliver a more localized experience. Ensuring that Radisson Rewards members will continue to enjoy great regional offers."
What prevented them from making offers which were region-based to begin with? Many hotel chains already do that, no need to break up the loyalty program in two to achieve this goal.

So in my humble opinion, Radisson has found a way to make their terrible loyalty program even worse in a way that I would have never imagined before, they are truly ground breakers here.
FatTalker and milesforhire like this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by escape4
It sounds like they will give status match between the two, but nights will certainly not be pooled. So for people spending half their nights in North America vs Rest of World, reaching top tier elite status will be twice as difficult as for people who have all their stays in the same zone.

I am not a member of Radisson because their loyalty program was already the worst that I knew of, prior to this change. So please do not interpret my message as venting or screaming that the Titanic is sinking because there is zero impact on me. That said, my personal opinion is there is enough info available about this change to criticize. Two loyalty programs, making people transfer points, status match, heck even two different apps and two websites for booking hotels in different parts of the world? "Inconvenience" is a very light way to put it to be honest! Not only is this insane and anti-customer oriented, but the explanation provided in the Q&A makes zero sense:

What prevented them from making offers which were region-based to begin with? Many hotel chains already do that, no need to break up the loyalty program in two to achieve this goal.

So in my humble opinion, Radisson has found a way to make their terrible loyalty program even worse in a way that I would have never imagined before, they are truly ground breakers here.
Agreed. I can't see any way this is good for us. It'll either be NBD, an annoyance, or a major negative change for the customer.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:38 pm

It's like stepping back in time to 2-3 generations ago where 99% of travel was by land such that your stays would be almost exclusively in one part of the world, and where having a worldwide hotel program with a huge footprint was not useful. Maybe they thought covid travel restrictions were here to stay rather than a temporary situation

I sometimes stay in some hotels specifically to make progress towards renewing elite status, but in this case Radisson is shooting itself in the foot because some people will be in a situation where a stay might not even help renew elite status depending on which part of the world they have an account which is closest to renewal of the tier.

Overall, this is a mind boggling change.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by stevek0202
If this is a cyber security issue, I suppose all hotel chains based outside the U.S. would take similar actions? What do we have, Radisson, Accor, Mandarin Oriental, Shangri-La, Peninsula, and Aman?
Last time I checked NONE of these were owned by an entity (Jin Jiang International Holding Co) of the Chinese government other than Radisson. Do people even read things like why this change is required before they comment?
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by the810
I'm sure Radisson's IT will handle this complex solution very well. Not.

They have also these handy flowcharts available because apparantelly making a complete mess of your loyalty programme is a good idea when a pandemic destroys your industry.
Thank you for posting that flowchart. While I still fully expect this to be a mess and a devaluation I'm actually pretty happy with how they handled allocating customers between Radisson US and EMEA. I have a US address but have only ever earned or redeemed in Europe and only plan to redeem in Europe in the future. So for me this works out. I won't need to join a second program and won't need to do any transfers.

Originally Posted by Fanjet
But I'm wondering, if all of my stays are in Europe, can I just particpate in the "other" program and avoid staying with Radisson within the Americas? Or is this residence based?
Yes you can and no it's not.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by _kurt
Thank you for posting that flowchart. While I still fully expect this to be a mess and a devaluation I'm actually pretty happy with how they handled allocating customers between Radisson US and EMEA. I have a US address but have only ever earned or redeemed in Europe and only plan to redeem in Europe in the future. So for me this works out. I won't need to join a second program and won't need to do any transfers.

Yes you can and no it's not.
I am not sure I buy that flow chat. I am a US resident but all my past bookings have been in Europe and per the email I got yesterday I'll be moved to the US side of things.

In June, your membership, benefits and point balance will automatically transition to the Radisson Rewards Americas program. You'll continue to earn and redeem rewards just like you already have been doing at our hotels throughout the United States, Canada, Latin America and the Caribbean.

However, you will need to take additional steps to earn and redeem for hotel stays in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia Pacific. Stay tuned for more information.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
I am not sure I buy that flow chat. I am a US resident but all my past bookings have been in Europe and per the email I got yesterday I'll be moved to the US side of things.
Interesting. You've never had even a single Radisson / Carlson stay in North or South America? That's my situation and my email said
In June, you will continue to be a member of Radisson Rewards. As a result, your member number, benefits and point balance will not change. You'll continue to earn and redeem for rewards as usual at our hotels throughout Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific.

However, you will need to take additional steps to earn and redeem for hotel in the United States, Canada, Latin America, and the Caribbean.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I wonder how this will work if you are US based and have a US issued USBank Radisson credit card but have only had stays in "Global" hotels....for me Europe. Based on the flow chart I should fall under Radisson Rewards but I live in the US and have a US credit card.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by _kurt
Interesting. You've never had even a single Radisson / Carlson stay in North or South America? That's my situation and my email said
Not that I recall but I do hold (against my better judgement honestly) their US CC so that is probably it. It hasn't been worth much since the last night free benefit died but the points on paying the annual fee were just just worth it for me. I'll probably burn up my points and abandon this program since I get more out of Hilton, Hyatt and Bonvoy.

Edit: Actually now that I think about it I do have one *future* reservation on an e-cert so that might be the cause too.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Apr 7, 2021 at 2:24 pm
Old Apr 7, 2021, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
Last time I checked NONE of these were owned by an entity (Jin Jiang International Holding Co) of the Chinese government other than Radisson. Do people even read things like why this change is required before they comment?
I agree that other chains will not follow suit because they are unrelated to China. However, when you say the change was "required"... perhaps you mean China's access to data was the driver of the change but I think there would have been different solutions to this situation so it was not "required". The solution they chose is terrible from a customer point of view and their willingness to shoot the program in the foot shows how much they care about having customer data if they were willing to do this. So in my opinion, they had options, they chose a very bad one for global customers. For people with USA address but all stays in Europe, I think this change is no big deal, will never had to juggle two websites and two accounts and will not worry about elite qualification. All operations will be from the Rest of World account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.