Wiki Posts
Search

Radisson Blu Chicago - Master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:28 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jetsfan
It was about five days before my arrival.
which was when? what month etc.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:31 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
Originally Posted by LarsErikNYC
Are you kidding?!?
Nope
Old Sep 23, 2013, 1:45 pm

Thanks for your great review. I will be staying here 9/27-9/30 with my wife to celebrate a special occasion. I had thought about the Park Hyatt but after studying up a bit I think the radBlu chicago is the way to go. i will post a detailed review upon my return. Thanks again.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mikeef
Thanks for the great review!

Is French Toast European because it's from France? Of course, in France, they just call it "toast."

Mike
Actually in France they call it "Pain perdu" (which literally means "lost bread"), or "Pain doré" (golden bread) in Quebec. Toast is just... a toasted slice of bread.

Otherwise I stayed at this hotel, there was definitely not a huge recognition of Gold status (very limited upgrade in one of the smallest room of the floor but "with balcony", no welcome amenity and just a 2pm check-out which was better than nothing), however staff was quite nice and room comfortable (although, I prefer a real door between room and bathroom, as here you can hear everything from the bathroom in the room).
I was not over impressed by the breakfast, it was ok and reasonably priced.
Pool and whirlpool was fine, however I did not find stream room and sauna (unfortunately)
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:24 pm

My Fav. Chicago Hotel

I try to stay here 3 to 4 times a year and in fact some times go out of way to come here. Treated well each time. While I was Gold I got nice complimentary snacks or deserts and usually a slightly upgraded room, but only once (a week-end) did I get upgraded to business class room with lounge access (the room was actually smaller than some others but with an Ipad to use and the lounge had an "ok" continental breakfast but free wine/beer during the evening. I like having the two floors of "entertainment" - jogging track, fire pit, outdoor pool, indoor lap pool, indoor basketball court, pool table and games room, TV room with microwave for popcorn, outdoor bbq's - a lot of this is more for residents of the condo/apartment but all have access. The only downside for me is that it is a bit of a walk from Michigan (say 5 minutes) which is np in summer but winter less so. There is a Mariano's Fresh Market nearby closer to the Park (really no signage for this which is a pity as you can see it from the Hotel balcony's if you know what to look and it has lots to offer for quick fresh casual meals, sushi, snacks, beer, wine etc.) and a Dominick's and Fox & Obel if you go over the river the other direction.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:04 am

Well...i am booked to stay here 9/27-9/30, my wife and i are celebrating a very special occasion. I hope this hotel is a good choice, i had the park hyatt booked previously but given the middling reviews here on FT I choose the Blu...will provide a detailed trip report upon my return.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:23 am

There is a great breakfast place about a block away called Wildberry Cafe. Great coffee there too. On weekend, try to get there on the early side.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Well...i am booked to stay here 9/27-9/30, my wife and i are celebrating a very special occasion. I hope this hotel is a good choice, i had the park hyatt booked previously but given the middling reviews here on FT I choose the Blu...will provide a detailed trip report upon my return.
Radisson blu is a fine hotel but I don't think it compares to a Park Hyatt, it is really not the same range.
Radisson blu is not a top end luxury hotel.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:03 am

Blu Acqua - Options

You may have some choices on rooms. They have both mansion style (rich but darker) and naturally cool (light woods, more minimalist). I have stayed mostly in mansion rooms but recently tried a naturally cool room and liked it a lot (brighter and I think these have both bath tub and shower vs mansion which is I think mostly shower only). Some also have balconies and a park view is premium, but it is generally too windy to leave anything on the balcony so not as great as it first sounds. When you made your reservation (at least if on the Carlson/Radisson booking site) they often offer you discounted paid upgrades. Business class rooms with lounge access was recently an extra $25/nite, with complimentary continental breakfast, water/soft drinks and beer/wine in the evening is likely worth it, the rooms can be the same size but with more upscale coffee machine and an Ipad in addition to the lounge.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:23 am

I have to say my stay there from 9/27 - 9/30 was tremendous. I was upgraded to a Park Suite with beautiful hardwood floors and was given access to their Lounge which is also top notch. Their fitness facilities are also great, probably the best i have ever seen. Can't imagine that Park Hyatt could beat them in that category?

Anyway it was a tremendous stay i highly recommend this property. Any questions feel free to PM.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:43 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Mrs Willie & I treated another couple to a staycation this past weekend at the Radisson Blu Chicago

I was driving and did not utilize self park this time, but I believe self park is up to $47 if I read sign correctly. If you can time things right, there is generally plenty of overnight free parking on the streets nearby but that free doesn't start until 9pm (maybe 10pm as the city switched some areas to 10pm). We had a late night & upon our return found 40+ spaces w/in a couple blocks and one less than 100 feet from front door. Seeing as Sundays are all day free parking, we didn't have to worry about getting up early for our car.

As a silver Mrs Willie & I were given a corner room w/balcony.

Bar on 1st level was packed w/pre-wedding crowd, thankfully got there early to snag a table before all were taken. $30 for 4 drinks, not the best all night deal in town

Room as clean/fresh as before, VERY comfortable bed!!!! Only bed more comfortable is the one in our house.

A few blocks away from the Rad Blu is the Chicago Cultural Center, and every exhibit I've attended there has been free, they almost always have something going on. Sat night at 6pm we listened to a music performer who used looping equipment to create a fantastic sound, along with a local lighting company who provided constantly changing light/shadows. Well worth the 50 minutes we spent. Further info on Chicago Cultural Center here: http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en...alcenter.html/

For some of our evening's events we went to The Second City (comedy) www.secondcity.com and had a very good thin crust pizza dinner a few blocks from Second City at Bricks http://brickschicago.com/BricksChicago/home/index.html
--
Old Nov 22, 2013, 2:07 pm

CC holder. redeemed for two nights. was upgraded to 17th floor business room i believe with access to lounge. The lounge was a little disappointing. Yea they got booze wine and beers and drinks but the food... it was lacking. Just some cookies and such. The selection changed each day. In the morning the breakfast was more continental. oatmeal and bagels and breads and such. I was hoping for hot breakfast w bacon.
the exercise facility was impressive. Jacuzzi, the gym, pool etc. Didnt use to sauna and steam room. Weird that they were on different floors. Locationwise it is a little far from the subway.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
3 night stay coming up

Looking forward to 3 nights here next week in two separate reservations:

1) Sunday night. Free night from promo earlier this year. It was expiring 12/31/13 so I had to use it finally.
2) Burned 50,000 points and as a CC visa credit cardholder I got an extra night (Monday/Tuesday).

So 3 nights for 50k, not bad^

I am Gold and will try for an upgrade. Business rooms do not appear to be much nicer than regular rooms ( I have my own ipad) and lounge sounds like it is not a draw if you are not a drinker and offers continental type breakfast (really?). Upgrade at reservation time were subpar, just better views (no suites, no business rooms).

I am wondering if I should pour my charm on and go for the Presidential Suite only to settle for the suite a notch below?

I am getting in at about 12 noon and not sure of early checkin options. Should I be checking in later to max upgrade options? Fitness facilities sound great!
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Radisson Blu Chicago - Master thread

George I loved the fitness facilities - which are shared with the condo, and include a bball court. I was working out with an actor from Chicago Fire.
I don't think the upgrades are that good at any time, but I'd love to hear a success story.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:58 am
rtb

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
I have to say my stay there from 9/27 - 9/30 was tremendous. I was upgraded to a Park Suite with beautiful hardwood floors and was given access to their Lounge which is also top notch. Their fitness facilities are also great, probably the best i have ever seen. Can't imagine that Park Hyatt could beat them in that category?

Anyway it was a tremendous stay i highly recommend this property. Any questions feel free to PM.
Was yours a paid or points stay? Also, what status do you have?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.