Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Qualiflyer
Reload this Page >

Reductions in LX Winter Timetable

Old Nov 5, 2002, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Whereas LX is boasting about new routes in the winter timetable (eg. new direct flight to Dublin, equipment "upgrades" and more frequencies on longhaul routes), you will find no mention of the many routes that Swiss has killed in the new schedule.

Just found out when trying to book today:

CGN-BSL Gone
FMO-ZRH Gone
LEJ-ZRH Gone
FDH-BSL Gone

What's wrong with the German market? First SN almost completely withdraws from Germany (FRA, DUS, HAJ, BRE), now LX follows suit. Fearing competition with LH? Others happily pick up the business:

New CGN-GVA EA (European Air Express, LH M&M Partner)
New CGN-ZRH 4U (Germanwings, LH/EW low cost subsidiary)

Against this trend, LX has added a 5th daily flight on CGN-ZRH. Doesn't make sense IMO, because the battle on this route is already lost. 4U offers OW for 29€ including garbage, and unlike with Ryanair et al, it is actually possible to get these fares even a a few days in advance (just booked one).

But not only flights to Germany have silently disappeared:

ZRH-EDI (was SAT/SUN) Gone

This flight was so heavily booked this summer that LX had to employ AR1 instead of the scheduled ER4 most of the time. I couldn't get award space on this flight anytime during the summer, so I was hoping for them to increase frequencies. The opposite has happened. Don't tell me it's only a summer destination. If so, why did they add DUB in winter? It all doesn't make sense to me.

I'm sure there are probably a lot more routes which didn't survive the red ink of the yield managers and which I just haven't noticed yet. So, Swiss, please stop the marketing spin about network extensions and give us the real picture.

I can only but hope for the Summer Timetable.
Old Nov 5, 2002, 9:23 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Not wanting to defend LX here, but have you ever seen an airline advertising the cancellation of routes?

As a matter of fact, Swissair and Crossair did always just publicly annouce their new routes and never the cancelled ones, so it's not a new thing.

And no, I don't understand their route policy either.

------------------
airOli, the Swiss Air Line.
Old Nov 5, 2002, 9:42 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by airoli:
Not wanting to defend LX here, but have you ever seen an airline advertising the cancellation of routes?</font>
Advertising no, notifying yes.

Example: LH. When LH stopped serving FRA-DAM (2000) and FRA-TAS (2001), they mentioned in the printed schedule behind the new route additions that they were giving up this route for economic reasons. However, LH wouldn't notify if one route is cancelled, but the same destination can still be reached from another hub. Example: CGN-WAW was cancelled (2001), but there are a dozen other LH flights to WAW every day. Yet in the LX case, EDI, LEJ and FMO are now completely out of the network, without a word mentioned.

I may be overreacting, but I was actually PLANNING to fly on some of these routes and learned it the hard way when I wanted to book.
Old Nov 5, 2002, 10:17 am

To be fair, I think most of the discontinued routes are down a page or two on: http://www.swiss.com/index/sw-nw-pr-...m?newsid=17291 (apologoies for the long link.

Can't find any counterpart in the printed version though. I vaguely remember a press release or communique from SWISS during the Summer saying that their German operations were relatively disappointed compared to southern Europe / North America.
Old Nov 5, 2002, 10:22 am

Codeshare flights to Male have also been stoped.
Only ZHR to Male is still on the Wintertime table. The return is gone.

kooks. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.