Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

"Connecting" Through DOH On Separate PNR's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2024, 11:24 am
Original Poster

I will be flying on Qatar Airways in business class next month. To make this happen, I will be flying from DFW-DOH, staying overnight at the Oryx hotel inside the terminal, then flying DOH-VCE the following morning. Due to the unusual itinerary, and the fact that I used Avios, I had to book the flights using two separate PNRs, so two separate tickets. I was hoping to get some confirmation that I will in fact be required to leave the terminal in the morning (customs and all), re-check in with Qatar, and then go through security back into the terminal... rather than simply staying in the terminal? I am trying to convince my travel partner to get by with a carry-on and personal item only, which I think we will be able to do.

For those who have traveled through Doha, if I do need to leave the terminal, go through customs/immigration, re-check in, and re-enter, how much time would you allot- with and without checking in bags? Our flight the next morning is at 9:20am.

FYI I have tried to call Qatar twice, but felt that the representatives did not fully understand my question, plus there seemed to be a small language barrier. TIA!
Old May 13, 2024, 6:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ALL Gold
I believe that if they are both PNRs ticketed by QR with QR flight numbers, you shouldn't have an issue. Unlike other OW-members (pointing fingers at BA!), they should be able to check your luggage through.

I think they will need to link your PNRs together, this can probably be done at check-in and they should be able to issue you boarding passes for both flights. Just make sure you have all the documentation ready. You just won't be protected should anything go wrong.

There is an extensive thread on the subject: Transiting through Doha on Separate Tickets
Old May 13, 2024, 9:37 pm

The only reason you might need to go landside would be if you have checked luggage and the agent at your origin does not check that through to VCE.

It is highly likely that baggage would be checked through, but it is not guaranteed. In the unlikely event that it isn't, I would recommend collecting it from the belt and going landside to recheck when you arrive, rather than waiting until the next morning, as the luggage may have been shunted off to some back office storage for unclaimed items by then. As you are in business you could probably go landside through the premium channels, recheck and be back at the hotel in under 45 mins (assuming you're not carrying contraband and get stopped by Customs)

Bear in mind also that you will need to have your onward boarding pass to get to the airside hotel. If you don't get this at DFW you can ask for it at the transfer desks immediately before transit security. You could also try asking there if they can retag your bags to save having to go landslde.

In any case, you won't be able to take your checked bags to the airside hotel so make sure you have whatever overnight things you need in your carry on.

And this all assumes that the time between your flights at DOH is less than 24 hours. If it's longer you will have to collect your bags as they will not check you through even on the same ticket
Old May 14, 2024, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dreamingbeyond
There is an extensive thread on the subject: Transiting through Doha on Separate Tickets
Thank you for linking this thread! I don't know why Google didn't find it, even when specifically searching on Flyertalk.

Originally Posted by KingCanute
The only reason you might need to go landside would be if you have checked luggage and the agent at your origin does not check that through to VCE.
It appears we will not be checking bags, so I appreciate your assurance... even though it is not a policy per se.
dreamingbeyond likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.