Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Typo in child's surname

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2024, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Typo in child's surname

Our family have return flights booked from London to Brisbane in 2 weeks and I realised there is a typo in my 11 year old sons surname on his ticket which is missing 1 letter 'l'. I have contacted Qatar customer services who said that because one leg of the retun journey is with BA there's nothing they can do and I will need to cancel the ticket and book a new flight. This will roughly cost me an extra £1500. I don't know what to do and I am so cross with myself. I obviously cant risk my child not being able to board at either end or in transit. Both airlines allow name corrections separately so this seems completely unreasonable. Can anyone give some advice please?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 7:59 pm

If you asked this question over on the BA forum the answers would be to do nothing and just turn up expecting to fly. If it is obviously the right name with just one letter missing I would tend to agree with that advice. But ultimately it's your choice...
mikeyfly and MattDXB like this.

Last edited by KingCanute; Mar 13, 2024 at 8:19 pm
Old Mar 14, 2024, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Indeed, BA don't blink at a Chris or Ben rather than passport match of Christopher or Benjamin.

I think you will be fine - will QR do the amend on their legs ?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:27 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Indeed, BA don't blink at a Chris or Ben rather than passport match of Christopher or Benjamin.

I think you will be fine - will QR do the amend on their legs ?
The name change would apply to all segments. You can't have different ticketed names for different segments.

But yes, BA does tend to accept far more egregious name discrepancies, so in all likelihood the OP will be fine. I believe IATA standards provide for some minor misspellings (up to 3 letters IIRC). If you talk to the call centre they'd of course provide the textbook answer of requiring a 100% match with the passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.