Wiki Posts
Search

Shower options on 90 minute transit

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2024, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Shower options on 90 minute transit

I will be travelling LHR-DOH-BKK and BKK-DOH-LHR in business (I) class in mid April, and am wondering a recommended course of action for getting a shower. I'm also OWE.

Traditionally, I have deliberately organised significantly longer transit times and upgrade to Al Safwa and/or have an Oryx airside hotel booking, so getting a shower hasn't ever been a problem before. For 90 minutes, I'm not particularly keen on upgrading to the Al Safwa.

The last time I was in DOH, I wondered into the Al Mourjan Garden lounges and happen to notice that there was quite a queue for the showers.

So is there a recommended course of action on getting a shower at DOH?

My outbound transit arrives DOH at 00:35 and the inbound is 12:45 if it makes any difference.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 3:39 am

Programs: BA gold UA MM
Have just done lhr-doh-bkk and managed a shower at 6am - no queue for the ladies showers and only small queue for the men’s.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I usually travel business lite so no al mourjan access. I use the platinum gold lounge and never have a problem getting a shower
Old Mar 8, 2024, 9:30 am

Programs: Meh
I have used the garden lounge at this time and never waited for a shower.
I think the Plat/gold lounge are better showers from memory tho, but there was a (small) wait at this time.
Also depends on your gate given the tightish connection.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 10:34 pm

I think shower wait times very much depend on the time of day and the particular day you are travelling. I once took a shower and had to wait for a short amount of time (maybe 20min at the Al Mourjan North lounge) but that must have been more than 5 years ago. Arriving from LHR you will most likely not have to clear transit security, although depending on gate locations and your walking speed you might have to walk for a bit. So if you do the math: ~15 min walk to lounge, ~15 min walk to gate, ~ arrive 30 min before departure at the gate. This leaves you 30 mins to shower, even if you wait 20 mins, you still have 10 mins left. On the way back it's more tricky because you will potentially loose 5 mins from clearning transit security.

I suppose my point is: You should likely be able to get a (quick) shower even if you have to wait. But your margin is not large, in case of delays, wait times, etc. you will end up taking either a very quick shower or no shower at all. Of course, things look better if your gates are co-located and close to the lounge of your choice.

In terms of what you can do to improve chances: 1) As you pointed out, book a longer connection, 2) pack your running shoes and sprint to the lounge and to the gate (but on the way from the lounge to the gate don't sprint hard enough to neccessitate another shower, you won't have time for that!).
Old Mar 10, 2024, 12:00 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Fly EK and have one on board?
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:25 am

Pre-tipping shortens the queue by quite a bit.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Freddorick
I once took a shower and had to wait for a short amount of time (maybe 20min at the Al Mourjan North lounge) but that must have been more than 5 years ago.
That's some extreme lounge opening date time travel that you've done.

Originally Posted by erik123
Can you please leave this nonsense in the USA?
Old Mar 11, 2024, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Schwann
That's some extreme lounge opening date time travel that you've done.

It's just the reality across the GCC not an endorsement. Feel free to not tip.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 6:29 am

So bribes are called pre-tips now

Never found it necessary in service situations when I lived and worked in the GCC. Hopefully the recipients don't get spotted accepting it
Old Mar 11, 2024, 9:26 am

It's just the reality across the GCC not an endorsement. Feel free to not tip.
I have never tipped and always managed a shower at DOH, even with tighter connections.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Pre-tipping whom? I assume by your use of the word "pre-tipping" that you are referring to the shower room attendant/cleaner. I don't think so. First, you have no contact with him/her until you have already been assigned a shower and are inside the shower area. Second, the s/he has nothing to do with when you are assigned. That is handled by the receptionist who takes your boarding pass.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:17 am

It depends, some lounges have a QR member of staff at the podium, other lounges you just walk into the shower area and the cleaners will take you to the shower.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
It depends, some lounges have a QR member of staff at the podium, other lounges you just walk into the shower area and the cleaners will take you to the shower.
I don't doubt you, but in several dozen DOH transits spanning a number of years, I've never seen this setup. Which lounge(s)?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Transits in the last month.
First transit - used the 'original' Al Mourjan lounge. The main showers had a long wait. Was advised to go through to the quiet zone (located in the deli area) and was offered a shower straight away (as were brother, father and mother).
Second transit - arrived 1h late and departing C gates, so tight connection (about 1h20). Used the garden Al Mourjan lounge. There was a queue including 4 men but each were assigned a shower immediately, as were my brother and I. There are no toilets in the garden lounge showers, there were toilets in the original lounge showers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.