Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Why are some arrivals from US sterlie and others not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2024, 10:23 am
Original Poster

I had friends meeting in DOH connecting to Africa.
Two tell me they arrived "clean" and did have transit security. They originated in Dallas and Washington/Dulles.
The other two, from Chicago O'Hare and Boston, said they did have transit security.
Why would the airport/QR do it this way?
Also, keep in mind many of the ORD/BOS passengers might be in transit and cleared security in their originating US city.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 10:38 am

It's random from certain origins. Everyone clears security at their origin. If QR made all arrivals from certain airports security free, those origins would quickly become known as soft amongst the nefarious community.

If you avoid the transfer security on any particular flight, say thanks to the random search gods and enjoy an extra glass of something in the lounge to celebrate during your extra 5-10 mins.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Some airports, like MUC and AMS, treat all US arrivals as clean/sterile and don't subject any of those arriving pax to transfer security, and knock on wood, nothing nefarious has happened there.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Some airports, like MUC and AMS, treat all US arrivals as clean/sterile and don't subject any of those arriving pax to transfer security, and knock on wood, nothing nefarious has happened there.
That may be true. As may the wood knocking. The Qataris have adopted a different policy. Do they have reason to rate the threats to their flights differently to the Dutch, and does it keep the ne'er-do-wells more on their toes? Who knows. But it's their airport, their rules. Given the theatre of some aspects of airport security, if I owned an international transfer airport I might be inclined not to subcontract my security checks out to another country. Particularly if I'd read something like this published shortly after opening:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/tsa-fails-...ry?id=51022188

Fortunately DOH security is efficient so it's not really much of a burden or inconvenience. For what it's worth, skytrax (yes, I know...) puts it in the top 10 worldwide:

"This award for the World's Best Airport Security Processing covers multiple aspects of security screening, including waiting times, queuing systems, priority lanes, smart security options, efficiency and courtesy of security staff, preparation and repacking facilities"
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by chuck1
... and did have transit security. They originated in Dallas and Washington/Dulles.
...said they did have transit security.
Not sure who did have transit security or not here.
Originally Posted by chuck1
Also, keep in mind many of the ORD/BOS passengers might be in transit and cleared security in their originating US city.
All passengers in their departure airport will of course pass security and immigration. That is not any US or Qatar specific thing.

I have not seen any scenario in DOH where you would not pass transit security, the only way would be if you actually have separate bookings and you walk to arrivals and pass immigration, there are normally no security there. But then you'd pass security again on your way in..
Old Mar 10, 2024, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DirektornSE
Not sure who did have transit security or not here.

All passengers in their departure airport will of course pass security and immigration. That is not any US or Qatar specific thing.

I have not seen any scenario in DOH where you would not pass transit security, the only way would be if you actually have separate bookings and you walk to arrivals and pass immigration, there are normally no security there. But then you'd pass security again on your way in..
You simply walk out the gate instead of taking escalator up to the arrival level.
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dkc192
EU rules treats all EU/US/CANADA/MONTENEGRO airport security as sufficient. However not all EU airports are configured in manner to allow this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
it does happen. Its random.
Twice i have not had to clear transit security at DOH. Last time was an arrival from WAW, the bus dropped us at a C gate and i basically went straight up to the platinum gold lounge
Old Mar 10, 2024, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold elite, *A Silver, Accor Silver
Arrive on an A380 from LHR - never had to clear security again, always straight in to the terminal
Old Mar 10, 2024, 8:51 am

Programs: QR PC, BA EC, KrisFlyer
It happens, and you would just walk straight through the gate back into the airside terminal without having to go through security. Had that when I was on ex-LHR flight.
flyerCO likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onlynik
Arrive on an A380 from LHR - never had to clear security again, always straight in to the terminal
Indeed - did this about an hour ago off the QR10. My DOH transit security experiences have certainly not been top 10, Skytrax or not, so when the direct into departures occurs it's very pleasant.
Tobias-UK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.