Search

Upgrade DOH-HKG C to F

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2024, 8:44 am
Formerly known as koeche
Original Poster

Programs: LX HON, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond, Windows 11, Adobe Creative Suite
Upgrade DOH-HKG C to F

QR is using those CX planes on the DOH-HKG rotation. Those planes have a F section and I would like to upgrade my business ticket, preferably with QCredits.

Contacted Platinum Whatsapp and they told me I have to do it either at the checkin desk or online under "Manage Booking" in my account where there should be an upgrade link. Well, I don't see such a link. It appears still 2 seats are available for purchase.

Anyone has some experience doing that? Are they stingy with upgrade availability or how to do the upgrade beforehand?
Old Feb 28, 2024, 10:50 am

Is there First award availability for your flight? If not you'll not be able to use Avios or Qcredits to upgrade currently.

You'll see still be able to upgrade at the airport if available with Avios or Qcredits
​​​​​
Old Feb 28, 2024, 11:43 am
Formerly known as koeche
Original Poster

Well I tried to make a dummy award booking for DOH-HKG in F and it would be possible to book. There seem to be availability outbound and inbound.

Ok, so a little update, I just checked the Manage Flight page again:

- It suddenly does now show an upgrade link, but only for the return leg HKG-DOH. However there is only the option to pay or use Avios. No option for Qcredits.
- I saw there is a Redeem Qcredits option in the top menu Privilege Club. There it actually gave me the option to upgrade however only the opposite leg DOH-HKG

So bottom line, at least one leg successfully upgraded but the whole process is IMHO really confusing and lacking consistency.
aphro likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 4:51 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Am currently onboard in F, and it's better than when CX operated the planes.

Not sure whether they've retrimmed the seats, but it feels newer than I'd expected.

M
Old Mar 1, 2024, 2:51 am
Formerly known as koeche
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Am currently onboard in F, and it's better than when CX operated the planes.

Not sure whether they've retrimmed the seats, but it feels newer than I'd expected.

M
I flew with them already in January (in biz) and expected the worst from the statements here but then was positively surprised. Also thought it does not look that old. The only annoying thing was the IFE which was really slow but the selection was huge.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:25 pm

There is no significant difference cos the amenity and the pyjamas are the same. Only pay if have extra time to enjoy the lounge but I find 45,000 more miles for a single sector for first not worth it if I am usually just going to sleep.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 3:09 am
Formerly known as koeche
Original Poster

I have lounge anyway due to status and for the upgrade I used QCredits that are almost impossible to get rid of.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Having flown CX J and F over a 100 times (say 20 in F), I find significant improvement of F seats over J.
CX F seat is one of my preferred F seat. Very wide at the shoulder,as opposed to most, very private.
With the better wines and spirits of QR F and instant service, I would not hesitate to pay 45k avios for luxury.

BTW: CX had made some retrofit on those F seats. But I don't think that they completed it on all their birds before covid. That could explain the explain the experience differences on these 6 QR exCX birds, which were mostly older ones.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 4:36 am
Formerly known as koeche
Original Poster

Wanted to conclude my experience:
  • DOH-HKG I was able to upgrade online using 33 QCredits (Option can only be found in the Privilege Club menu, not where they offer Avios/Cash upgrades)
  • HKG-DOH was not possible to upgrade online with QCredits, option was not available. However strangely it would have been possible to upgrade with cash or Avios. I followed the advice here and tried to upgrade with QCredits at the check-in desk which worked and I ended up sitting all alone in the F cabin. Was pretty cool.
The F seats are nice, slightly worn, yes but compared to J, the IFE was very responsive and the movie selection was bigger than usual. The food menu was different from J and included caviar.
stevie likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 5:32 am
JKG

Programs: Privilege Club, Miles&Bonus
Originally Posted by CheckInPeach
The F seats are nice, slightly worn, yes but compared to J, the IFE was very responsive and the movie selection was bigger than usual. The food menu was different from J and included caviar.
This brings up an interesting point for which i'd ask the more experienced FT members.
To my knowledge the IFE available options are the same on the same trip across ticket class. Is that correct or does QR (or maybe other airlines) offer more movies etc to higher classes?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 5:51 am
Formerly known as koeche
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JKG
This brings up an interesting point for which i'd ask the more experienced FT members.
To my knowledge the IFE available options are the same on the same trip across ticket class. Is that correct or does QR (or maybe other airlines) offer more movies etc to higher classes?
Just to avoid confusion: I did not say the movie selection is bigger in F. It's bigger on that type of airplane for some reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.