Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access on award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2024, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Lounge access on award ticket

I have just checked in at Edinburgh for my flight to Cape Town via Doha and was told that even though my ticket is in business class as my ticket is an award flight I am not entitled to lounge access. Is this correct?

This was not the case the last time I used avios to buy my ticket so I am not sure if things have changed.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 6:16 am

That doesn't sound right. Unless it was a cash Y ticket upgraded with avios.

Head over to the BA lounge and see if they'll let you in
Old Feb 18, 2024, 7:58 am

+1 to what KingCanute said; Business Lite or Economy tickets that have been upgraded don't get access, but Business award tickets I believe count as Business Class Classic, so should have no issues.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 9:07 am

Programs: QR Gold, *A Gold, IHG Plat., Hilton Gold, Etihad Guest Gold
Do you have status?
If yes
QR Silver -> Head to the silver lounge (super lack lustre)
QR Gold -> Head to the Gold and Platinum North lounge. Not great but not bad either

I am not sure if QR allows guesting, if they do then happy to guest as incidentally I am in the terminal
Old Feb 18, 2024, 11:41 am

That's weird.
Just to clarify, did you book a Business class award ticket or is there an upgrade involved? (not 100% sure how lounge access works when using avios to upgrade from Y tbh)
Old Feb 18, 2024, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Full reward straight into business allows access?
Old Feb 18, 2024, 1:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Full reward straight into business allows access?
yes
Old Feb 18, 2024, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond/2MM, Alaska Gold, Marriott Titanium, LT Plat.
I'm flying into Doha on an award tix:
Biz "U" fare; then to Cairo on a F/C "Z" fare ---- does that qualify for lounge access ?
Used AS mileage for Qatar tix and unable to determine if they are Biz Lite or ?

Thnx
Old Feb 18, 2024, 4:16 pm

I've had the exact same issue when flying out of Warsaw on a U fare (award). They were adamant that lounge is not included, and the station manager was also of the same view. I've clarified this with Qatar CS which initially was unsure of their own policy but eventually received the following.

Dear Hunter4vr,

We sincerely apologize.

We have clarified with our Privilege Club Department and they confirmed that full award tickets are eligible for lounge access. The same has been relayed to the concerned Airport team, to avoid service lapse in the future.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

We hope you will provide us with the opportunity to restore your confidence.
Scotsgirl likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all the responses.

Unfortunately I ended up not having enough time between flights to go to a lounge in Doha so not sure if I would have had a different experience there.

I might try to get clarification from Qatar as the check in team at Edinburgh were adamant I couldn’t go to the lounge there!.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 5:08 am

I flew out of Edinburgh last week on a business award ticket and was told the same. After speaking to 4 different people at checkin who all said lounge access wasn’t provided, someone rang Qatar HQ and they were informed that business award tickets are entitled to lounge access. Overall not a great experience.
SteveF and aphro like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jafa64
I flew out of Edinburgh last week on a business award ticket and was told the same. After speaking to 4 different people at checkin who all said lounge access wasn’t provided, someone rang Qatar HQ and they were informed that business award tickets are entitled to lounge access. Overall not a great experience.
Shane they didn’t learn anything from your experience 🙄
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Deleted as duplicate post

Last edited by Scotsgirl; Feb 19, 2024 at 9:09 am Reason: Duplicate post
Old Mar 2, 2024, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to come back and confirm that I contacted Qatar and have had this response from Qatar Customer Care.“We remain seriously concerned to note of your experience wherein you have not been able to access the lounge provided that you were traveling premium class on a redemption ticket.

While our staff members, both on ground and in flight are trained and entrusted to deliver outstanding levels of customer care, we take reports such as yours with serious concerns in our desire to provide the best possible service and continuous improvement.

This matter has been brought to the attention of our ground services management in Edinburgh and necessary corrective action were already taken.”

Hope this might help if anyone else ends up in the same position.
aphro likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Similar thing happened to me yesterday. Booked one way J redemption CPT-DOH-WAW.
When checking in at CPT I was told that because it was avios ticket, there would be no lounge access. However they gave me passes for CPT lounge because of my One World Emerald status.
No problems accessing Al Mourjan in DOH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.