Wiki Posts
Search

Where did the river boat go?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2023, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA gold
Where did the river boat go?

Having just returned from a very enjoyable trip LHR-DOH-ZNZ return in J, I have a question which I am sure that fellow forumites will be able to answer.
Being a sad soul who did not fancy watching any of the many films, I left the screen saver of Londons Tower Bridge open rather than trying to turn it off. After a few viewings I realised that the river boat passing left to right disappeared behind the language title block but never came out of the other side! Did it go the same way as the London busses that dematerialised at various points when passing over the Bridge or go to that mysterious great resting place in Davy Jones locker? I think that we should be told!
PS, yes, I am a sad soul.
Old May 22, 2023, 5:32 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Before Covid, I had a daily commute on the River Bus from Cadogan Pier to Canary Wharf, traveling under Tower Bridge twice a day. I can assure you that IME it never went the way of Davy Jones' locker.

Furthermore, during the second lockdown, from my 1st floor apartment overlooking the Thames, on one occasion a workman working on the Thames Tideway project fell into the Thames near Chelsea Bridge. The tide was coming in rapidly at this point, and was carrying the individual at a swift jogging pace judging by the speed of those running along the Embankment trying to give aid.

One of the River Buses nearby was alerted and changed route to fish him out. Clearly the River Boat crews are exceptionally well trained: they skilfully negotiated the moored boats at Cadogan Pier and dispensed a rigging ladder over the side to expedite capture, and they rapidly captured him and thankfully lifted him on board. It was all over in no more than a minute or two.

Commuting on the Riverbus is the most convivial commute I've ever had. If I'd had a bad day, I'd indulge in a couple of gin & tonics on my way home. Regulars would chat with each other. You always get a seat. Every day is different, due to the changing seasons, weather and tides. And unlike the tube, your cellphone data works reliably.
dwugson likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.