Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charging for award seat selection?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2023, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Charging for award seat selection?

Is this a new thing? After a Qatar cancellation, I rebooked earlier today through the phone. Tonight, I tried to select my seat and was hit with a surprise charge for selecting my seat. This was a business award using Qatar miles.

Old Mar 16, 2023, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
This sounds like the same bug that I have encountered a while back. As Gold, the website and mobile app wanted to charge me for preferred seats in Y. You can contact QR and they will assign the seat for you.
Qsing and ruedela like this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by florin
This sounds like the same bug that I have encountered a while back. As Gold, the website and mobile app wanted to charge me for preferred seats in Y. You can contact QR and they will assign the seat for you.
Looking into this closer on my desktop, I was rebooked into R Class, which after a quick search charges for seat selection. My return flights stayed U (business award, no charge for seat selection). I think it was just the rebooking rep's error. Unless Qatar has a weird rule about award rebookings without award availability.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Reached out via their online chat, to ask about the rebooking of an award to Class R, and the subsequent seat charge. They said because of the change, Id have to pay.

Ill probably try to call at some point, but Im genuinely curious if this is a new thing for Qatar to rebook awards in R when there is no longer award availability on the flight? Or if this was simply a mistake. Im actually content in not selecting a seat, given the 2 previous times I called, they refused to rebook me on the same day later flight from IAD. Again, just curious if this is a new policy?
Old Mar 20, 2023, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
The good news is that you won't be flying standing up; you will have a seat. A QSuite is a QSuite.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Flamenguista
Looking into this closer on my desktop, I was rebooked into R Class, which after a quick search charges for seat selection. My return flights stayed U (business award, no charge for seat selection). I think it was just the rebooking rep's error. Unless Qatar has a weird rule about award rebookings without award availability.
When QR has to change you to a flight without U award availability, they have to force the system to get you a revenue fare bucket. The cheapest fare bucket they could get is R and you follow the rule of R.
On the other hand, you might get the avios associated with R... Others might know.
Flamenguista likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Another own goal in the world of common sense if they really expect you to pay for a seat assignment in the new fare bucket if they're the ones who cancel the flight in the first place.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by brunos
When QR has to change you to a flight without U award availability, they have to force the system to get you a revenue fare bucket. The cheapest fare bucket they could get is R and you follow the rule of R.
On the other hand, you might get the avios associated with R... Others might know.
Unless there is some sort of weird glitch (never say never...), redemptions switched to revenue fare buckets won't earn any avios or qpoints. I've had plenty of these over the last few years rebooked into fare buckets ranging from R to J and never received any qpoints or avios
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
thanks. Ive never heard that before with any other airline.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:54 am

I'm guessing that even though this was a QR points booking, you don't have any oneworld status that would give free seat selection? If you do it might be worth checking your FF number is still attached, or trying to re-enter it.

Otherwise I'd be inclined to contact them again. Be very nice about, thanks for the rebooking etc, but in the process of the involuntary change you have now lost some of the benefits of the fare you originally paid for (avios is still paying, just not with cash).

It may be something a supervisor needs to override, so it doesnt hurt to gently ask them to double check. Possibly call the Doha number during their daytime hours using skype or similar.

Good luck!
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Flamenguista
Reached out via their online chat, to ask about the rebooking of an award to Class R, and the subsequent seat charge. They said because of the change, Id have to pay.
On the same token, R class should get you Avios. When you call them, point that out.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 1:02 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by vsadda
On the same token, R class should get you Avios. When you call them, point that out.
It was stated just three posts above yours that awards rebooked to cash RBDs typically do not earn Avios. What are you hoping to achieve by saying this? Forcibly rebook back into U?
Old Mar 21, 2023, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
It was stated just three posts above yours that awards rebooked to cash RBDs typically do not earn Avios.
That is an excellent statement of the obvious.

Originally Posted by SilverChris
What are you hoping to achieve by saying this? Forcibly rebook back into U?
1) Pointing out the stupidity of the argument that an involuntary re-ticketing into an incorrect fare bucket is subject to the rules of that fare bucket.
2) Coaxing the CSR to use his/her discretion and assign the desired seat for the OP.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 1:56 pm

QR reps are notorious for reading from the script. It takes some effort to get them deviate from their script.
florin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.