Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatars Policy for Flights Cancelled by Them

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2023, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold

I have been stung before when I have rung up Qatar or chatted to them on line about a flight change or cancellation.
I don't necessarily want to make an on the spot decision , i just want options at that stage.
Mysteriously after these chats / phone calls the flights are all confirmed and when i ring back they say they can do nothing as i have accepted the changes.
I just want sign posting to Qatars current policy if they cancel a flight so i can ring up and tell them my preference.
Flying in C from Europe to Singapore in September.
Can any one signpost me to the options i have. I have tried asking Qatar and they simply refuse to say what their policy is. Its very frustrating.

Presumably
1. A refund ?
2. A voucher plus 10% ?
3. Alternative flights ? what are the options here? change of departure city??? date change????

many Thanks
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
I would suggest this comes down to UK261/EU261.

They have an obligation to offer you alternatives (within reason). You are also entitled to a refund but this shouldn't be the only option they offer you.

Change of flights:
- Change of departure city (sure - within reason)
- Change despite selling out ticket class (within same group - eg business) - absolutely
- Date change (sure - within reason)
- Change of operator within Oneworld (sure... - within reason)
- Change of operator to non-partner (sure - but good luck getting them to agree it's reasonable)

A cancellation this far out, i'd suggest a rebooking on another Qatar flight +/- 2 days should be v.easy for them to agree to.

They 100% might try to say "we can't move you to that flight because there's no C availability" - EU/UK261 is very clear on this that it's not ok if they have more expensive tickets available in the same group (eg business).

I would look on Expertflyer or similar to see what is available and how many tickets in what classes are available - you might have an easier life if you can find a good option with similar ticket class availability.

Last edited by email2markt; Feb 9, 2023 at 5:14 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
QR have a 500 mile rule.. i.e if your theoretical flight OSL-DOH was cancelled you could rebook ARN/HEL/CPH to DOH etc. Likewise if your Singapore flight was cancelled you could rebook to KUL.

It is definitely worth being clued up as some QR phone agents are erm, not quite as "trained" as others.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by simonsmith
I have been stung before when I have rung up Qatar or chatted to them on line about a flight change or cancellation.
I don't necessarily want to make an on the spot decision , i just want options at that stage.
Mysteriously after these chats / phone calls the flights are all confirmed and when i ring back they say they can do nothing as i have accepted the changes.
I just want sign posting to Qatars current policy if they cancel a flight so i can ring up and tell them my preference.
Flying in C from Europe to Singapore in September.
Can any one signpost me to the options i have. I have tried asking Qatar and they simply refuse to say what their policy is. Its very frustrating.

Presumably
1. A refund ?
2. A voucher plus 10% ?
3. Alternative flights ? what are the options here? change of departure city??? date change????

many Thanks
There definitely is a schedule change policy.
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...dePartners.pdf

How significant was the change? If the total change is above 2 hours (or if there's a misconnect) then you should be entitled to a change/refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.