Wiki Posts
Search

Flying in Business - credit to AA?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2022, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA PE, Delta Pt, United 1P
Flying in Business - credit to AA?

Hi all - first time we're flying on QR, in business, as a family from US to SE Asia. We're US based, not at a AA hub, but open to using the mileage for US or future int'l trips.

Wanted to confirm my research -seems like crediting to AAdvantage would be ideal for maximizing mileage credit? (according to WhereToCredit and this old thread here)

Is this correct? Thanks -
Old Oct 15, 2022, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kxl19
Hi all - first time we're flying on QR, in business, as a family from US to SE Asia. We're US based, not at a AA hub, but open to using the mileage for US or future int'l trips.

Wanted to confirm my research -seems like crediting to AAdvantage would be ideal for maximizing mileage credit? (according to WhereToCredit and this old thread here)

One trip is not a good basis of choosing a ffp.
Generally better being a member of the airline you fly most or the country you live, due to more opportunities for earning non flying ff miles.
Some ffp's are changing from frequent flyer to frequent spender programs.
What is the objective of a ffp?
Maximizing mileage credit is only half the equation. If awards are the objective, using/award cost with those ff miles is the other half.
FF miles are not equal to earn or burn
Are you a member od any QR ff partner. (~
Oneworld)
QR uses avios as the ff currency. Avios, but not status, can be moved to/from QR-BA-IB-IE-Vueling subject to t&c's

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.
https://www.awardhacker.com/
https://www.wheretocredit.com/qatar-airways
Old Oct 15, 2022, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kxl19

For Business Class travel on QR, the number of AAdvantage miles you will earn if you credit to AA will depend in part on the fare code on your flights. See this chart:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ines/qatar.jsp

But crediting that roundtrip to AAdvantage probably will not be enough to earn any of you status in oneworld. By contrast, if you credit the roundtrip (including the AA connecting flight to/from a QR North American gateway) to Iberia Plus, you would attain Iberia Plus Oro status (oneworld Sapphire). That would provide some nice benefits when flying on AA, but you would earn Avios, not AAdvantage miles.

Here's a discussion of crediting long-haul QR Business flights to IB in order to earn status;

https://insideflyer.co.uk/2019/03/qa...f-iberia-plus/

Ultimately, only you can decide whether you prefer AA miles without oneworld status, or Iberia Plus Avios (which are transferrable to both BA and QR) with oneworld mid-tier status.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA PE, Delta Pt, United 1P
Originally Posted by guv1976
For Business Class travel on QR, the number of AAdvantage miles you will earn if you credit to AA will depend in part on the fare code on your flights. See this chart:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ines/qatar.jsp

But crediting that roundtrip to AAdvantage probably will not be enough to earn any of you status in oneworld. By contrast, if you credit the roundtrip (including the AA connecting flight to/from a QR North American gateway) to Iberia Plus, you would attain Iberia Plus Oro status (oneworld Sapphire). That would provide some nice benefits when flying on AA, but you would earn Avios, not AAdvantage miles.

Here's a discussion of crediting long-haul QR Business flights to IB in order to earn status;

https://insideflyer.co.uk/2019/03/qa...f-iberia-plus/

Ultimately, only you can decide whether you prefer AA miles without oneworld status, or Iberia Plus Avios (which are transferrable to both BA and QR) with oneworld mid-tier status.
To clarify - were only going on the one way on QR, in fare class D.

since we dont fly that often as a family and Im not flying often for work, status isnt that valuable for us, but the Miles are potentially worth more than status. Especially international redemptions.

maybe one reason to choose Avios is if it allows aggregation of family member accounts points?
Old Oct 17, 2022, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I am not familiar with AA and IB program But BA has a good family program where you can pool miles of the family members to obtain an award A and AA have good partnership

QR family program is not very attractive and hard to get registered
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:10 am

I credited my Qatar biz flights to Alaska Airlines, as I wanted the extra multiplier they give for business class tickets (vs. AA and other leading oneworld options); I'm also hoping to use a pool of miles there to book say Cathay, JAL, or Singapore Air business (maybe even first for Cathay or JAL!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.