Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eMed/Abbot BinaxNOW for US entry

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2021, 10:19 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
As expected from the data points above (thanks for those who posted), had no issues with using this test AMM-DOH-ORD yesterday. RJ agents handle check-in and gate duties for QR at AMM. Only very brief "blip" in the process was she asked "Was this test taken in Jordan or the US?" I said Jordan but it's a US company that operates it. Agent said "OK, I wondered why it had a US date format - unless you time traveled back from December!" (took our tests on 12 Oct ).
estnet likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 5:04 pm

Settle a family debate...

When do you get the PCR test? Sure, 72 hours before travel - however - 1) it takes a few days to get results, and 2) the trip will take two days with a crazy long layover in DOH.

Confirming you show your negative test result as you board in the United States, which has been within 72 hours of “initial boarding” - and that same test will suffice when boarding the final flight days later in DOH > MAL?

Next - can you use BinaxNOW for exiting the US, just like entering? We are leaving on Monday night, and we could feasibly take a BinaxNOW test late Saturday or early Sunday easier than finding a CVS and going through that process (stopped into a local CVS and they want nothing to do with testing, told us go to another CVS.)
Old Oct 20, 2021, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by pixelrogue
When do you get the PCR test? Sure, 72 hours before travel - however - 1) it takes a few days to get results, and 2) the trip will take two days with a crazy long layover in DOH.
You need to check the entry requirements for the country you are visiting; they vary.

Next - can you use BinaxNOW for exiting the US, just like entering? We are leaving on Monday night, and we could feasibly take a BinaxNOW test late Saturday or early Sunday easier than finding a CVS and going through that process (stopped into a local CVS and they want nothing to do with testing, told us go to another CVS.)
Again, depends where you're going--you don't need an "exit" test, you need an "entry" test for the destination, and requirements vary.
LufthansaFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Erasmus
You need to check the entry requirements for the country you are visiting; they vary.

Again, depends where you're going--you don't need an "exit" test, you need an "entry" test for the destination, and requirements vary.
My bad - I am on a few boards.
USA > DOH > MALE
MAL > DOH > USA
Old Oct 20, 2021, 6:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by pixelrogue
My bad - I am on a few boards.
USA > DOH > MALE
MAL > DOH > USA
MLE requires PCR.
For US re- entry the antigen test is fine and has been used successfully transiting via DOH.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by friedablass
MLE requires PCR.
For US re- entry the antigen test is fine and has been used successfully transiting via DOH.
Right.

So if you take the PCR test on a Friday to allow 24-36 hours for the results before a flight out on Monday evening, will you need to retest in Doha because there is a 10 layover for that next flight - would PCR test results from USA be considered as expired?

—-
Looks like the price recently increased by about 25% for the proctored version of BinaxNOWNow btw.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 8:31 am

Qr ist-doh-phl

QR did not accept my eMed Antigen test when checking in in Istanbul. Told me it did not have my passport information. Was able to run downstairs and grab a rapid test at the airport (easy).
Old Oct 24, 2021, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by technocat79
QR did not accept my eMed Antigen test when checking in in Istanbul. Told me it did not have my passport information. Was able to run downstairs and grab a rapid test at the airport (easy).
What passport info? All eMed shows is name and birthdate and test details. We’re you only displaying the QR code for them? QATAR has never turned down my eMed tests. Can you elaborate?
Old Oct 24, 2021, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
What passport info? All eMed shows is name and birthdate and test details. We’re you only displaying the QR code for them? QATAR has never turned down my eMed tests. Can you elaborate?
I tried to explain this (I've used eMed several times with other airlines without incident). I showed them the detailed test result and the QR code. Still a "no, you must have passport number on your test result". I spoke to a supervisor, but got nowhere with her. I was starting to run low on time, so I hightailed it downstairs for the rapid test at the airport.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 9:58 am

wow that’s an anomaly. I’ve used the binax a few times with qr and never an issue. The cdc policy states that identifiable information has to be on the test. Name and birthday are enough. Curious if the qr employees in Istanbul are outsourced and not actually real qr employees.

wouldn’t surprise me if it was a cash grab scam that the supervisor has with the local rapid test site. Refuse peoples tests to force and funnel them to another test company at the airport owned by he supervisors cousin.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 10:07 am

The first person I spoke to was definitely a "generic" Istanbul airport employee (not a QR employee). The supervisor appeared to be QR staff. Both gave same answer. Ugh.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 10:18 am

The first person I spoke to was definitely a "generic" Istanbul airport employee (not a QR employee). The supervisor appeared to be QR staff. Both gave same answer. Ugh.
that’s what’s sucks about these policies. It’s always subject to any given human to screw it up by not understanding. You probably could have shown them the cdc website that clearly spells it out and still have gotten no where with the lemming. At least you had time to get another test
Old Oct 24, 2021, 10:19 am

Complete bull poop. Sorry you had to contend with.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
One new issue with these tests is that they seem to be out of stock. It seems like these tests were some of the earliest batch that Abbott made late 2020/early 2021 and they are now about to expire. They don't seem to be selling the test anymore and indicate that new tests may be coming soon.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 2:25 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bradfrancini
One new issue with these tests is that they seem to be out of stock. It seems like these tests were some of the earliest batch that Abbott made late 2020/early 2021 and they are now about to expire. They don't seem to be selling the test anymore and indicate that new tests may be coming soon.
I got three delivered today from the Optum store for a trip I’m taking next week. Original expiration was in September 2021, but it’s been extended three months

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.