Wiki Posts
Search

eMed/Abbot BinaxNOW for US entry

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2021, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
eMed/Abbot BinaxNOW for US entry

Has anyone tried to use the Abbot BinaxNOW "at-home" test kit to fly to the US on Qatar? Both American and United have partnered with eMed, and the US government has approved the test, but of course it is up to Qatar to accept the app-provided test results at boarding. While it seems clear it should be accepted, I would feel a lot more comfortable about not being denied boarding for my (only twice-a-week) flight with reports of others successfully using these tests on Qatar.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 9:35 pm

Subscribing. I'll be giving it a try at TBS in 2 weeks and will report back then.

If they don't accept it, apparently there is a clinic at the airport doing rapid tests which I hope I can use as a backup.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Has anyone tried to use the Abbot BinaxNOW "at-home" test kit to fly to the US on Qatar? Both American and United have partnered with eMed, and the US government has approved the test, but of course it is up to Qatar to accept the app-provided test results at boarding. While it seems clear it should be accepted, I would feel a lot more comfortable about not being denied boarding for my (only twice-a-week) flight with reports of others successfully using these tests on Qatar.
US requirements are completely nonspecific about testing details and all QR does is confirm you have a piece of paper with a negative test result.
fast passenger likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
US requirements are completely nonspecific about testing details and all QR does is confirm you have a piece of paper with a negative test result.
Yes, but... Have you ever dealt with QR? The only customer service I avoid more is LA.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes, but... Have you ever dealt with QR? The only customer service I avoid more is LA.
Yes, I get it. But I don't see why the printed results you will get from eMed/Abbot will be treated any differently from the random clinic in Bangkok we just used to return to the US. And if the concern is a cranky QR agent making up a reason to deny boarding, a different passenger's experience with a different agent at a different station is really not going to help you.

If it's a matter of serious concern for you, I'd just go with a local lab and avoid the anxiety.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, I get it. But I don't see why the printed results you will get from eMed/Abbot will be treated any differently from the random clinic in Bangkok we just used to return to the US. And if the concern is a cranky QR agent making up a reason to deny boarding, a different passenger's experience with a different agent at a different station is really not going to help you.

If it's a matter of serious concern for you, I'd just go with a local lab and avoid the anxiety.
Oh I definitely have a backup plan, just hoping for some positive reports to lend confidence that it’s even worth trying the eMed test as plan A, as it is much cheaper than the local alternatives.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 9:39 pm

The main issue is whether you can purchase the box of 6 and share it or if they will force you to make a purchase for each individual needing a test.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 5:04 am

Programs: UA 1k 1mil. Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xooz
The main issue is whether you can purchase the box of 6 and share it or if they will force you to make a purchase for each individual needing a test.
anyone can register and use it.

anyone got reimbursed by their insurance?

I got partial reimbursement.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by JC1976
anyone can register and use it.

Yes, but the question is can a 6 pack of tests be used for multiple people? According to this post, it is supposedly not allowed, though others have said they actually shared the tests in the 6 pack among other people.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 2:37 pm

I know of cases where QR has denied boarding to ATH-bound passengers in USA because they don’t have the Greek entry email…which arrives DAY OF LANDING and Greek rules clearly state that an email confirming one has applied is sufficient for boarding the day before arrival. If QR can’t get this right, I’m worried about BinaxNOW.

That said, flying QR in a week with BinaxNOW and a PCR (which I won’t mention unless eMed is refused).

jamie
Old Jul 3, 2021, 10:24 am

Does anyone know if the BinaxNOW product has a shelf life that can survive a few months? I'll be flying to the EU in a few weeks and staying for two months - I'd like to just bring the kit with me so I don't need to worry about finding a testing center in Budapest. However, before buying I want to make sure the tests will still be good in September.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I know of cases where QR has denied boarding to ATH-bound passengers in USA because they don’t have the Greek entry email…which arrives DAY OF LANDING and Greek rules clearly state that an email confirming one has applied is sufficient for boarding the day before arrival. If QR can’t get this right, I’m worried about BinaxNOW.

That said, flying QR in a week with BinaxNOW and a PCR (which I won’t mention unless eMed is refused).

jamie
Any updates? How did it work out with QR?
Old Jul 3, 2021, 2:13 pm

Any updates? How did it work out with QR?
Yes, QR accepted BinaxNOW. Sort of a mixed bag. Originated in Baghdad where you need PCR (antigen not accepted) just to enter the airport, AND to clear immigration. But for QR I used BinaxNOW. That said, first test was defective, luckily I brought several. Might have been heat related. But don’t carry just one! Interestingly, VeriFLY rejected BinaxNOW but accepted Iraqi PCR. Apparently VeriFLY needs the name of the administering doctor, which BinaxNOW doesn’t supply. VeriFLY simply makes LHR transfers easier, so it’s not like I would have gotten stuck. Good luck to all, hassle factors have never been greater but it sure is great to be back on the road.
Erasmus, 84fiero and Flying family like this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 8:25 am

BinaxNow eMed

My family and I purchased 4x from eMed for QR return to US from Tanzania. I did a test-run in the US and it was super easy. Worried about QR accepting the test results? From the stream above I see maybe one person has had the test accepted? Anyone else heard of BinaxNOW eMed or used it successfully with QR for re-entry to US? Super stressed out arriving at the DAR airport for the QR return and it now working. 🙏🏼😬😳😂

Last edited by Flying family; Jul 9, 2021 at 8:45 am
Old Jul 9, 2021, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by xooz
Yes, but the question is can a 6 pack of tests be used for multiple people? According to this post, it is supposedly not allowed, though others have said they actually shared the tests in the 6 pack among other people.
I just spoke with an eMed agent who said I can purchase one pack of 6 and use it for my family of 4 people. He said anyone can register and use the available tests. We'll see. I plan to find local pharmacies who do testing just in case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.