Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voucher expiring but fares 50% higher

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2021, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Voucher expiring but fares 50% higher

Like many I had to cancel my QR trip in March 2020 due to suddenly imposed travel restrictions. As the voucher is going to expire in a couple of weeks I have been checking to book new flights but on QR.com fares are at least 50% higher than last year.

Does anyone have experience with this?
Is it worth calling QR? Might they have other fares that are not published on the website?
Would such a case qualify for a refund of the original ticket value?

Thanks.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 3:09 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
You can call to get a refund of the voucher under EOC V2.3 but you'll lose the extra 10% value.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 1:46 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
That's encouraging to know that a voucher can be refunded as, I too, am worried that with existing travel restrictions and uncertainty regarding future travel arrangements I might not be able to book a flight using the voucher before its expiry date or that the prices have risen beyond reasonable. The loss of the 10% value enhancement is a small price to pay for getting the cash back.

Is there any indication that the expiry date for vouchers may be extended beyond the original two-year period?
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:46 am

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
This is what I had to do too. My flights from AKL-LHR were cancelled a couple of times (April-June 2020 period). First flight cancelled so given vouchers which were used to book second flight which was also cancelled, I requested a refund but they said that seeing as the flights were purchased using vouchers they could only refund to vouchers! It took 9 months of back and forth calls and messages but I did eventually get a cash refund that worked out quite well because the original flight was booked in $NZ using a UK credit card so the cost to me was in UK£ and because of currency movements NZ$-£ I eventually got more £ back after the refund in $NZ - hope that makes sense!!
Old Mar 4, 2021, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Your experience sounds as if it took a lot of time/effort to get the cash refund. My worry is that I might run out of time to use the voucher to find somewhere that I want to go that is not made difficult by the UK government's restrictions and those of the various destinations despite QR flying there. I recognise that it is not QR's problem.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
Originally Posted by higham44
Your experience sounds as if it took a lot of time/effort to get the cash refund. My worry is that I might run out of time to use the voucher to find somewhere that I want to go that is not made difficult by the UK government's restrictions and those of the various destinations despite QR flying there. I recognise that it is not QR's problem.
I didn't initially mind the refund being made to vouchers as we thought we'd use them to go somewhere else in the future, but because of the COVID situation I could see this might be difficult in the voucher timescales, also, like you I was watching the fares to various destinations and was increasing concerned at the huge increase in fares. That was the point where I started the battle to get my cash back because the vouchers were rapidly loosing usable value.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by realgaga
You can call to get a refund of the voucher under EOC V2.3 but you'll lose the extra 10% value.

Can you explain what EOC V2.3 is and how it helps get a refund when previously issued a Transportation Credit Voucher.

Thanks
Old Mar 11, 2021, 7:08 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by higham44
Can you explain what EOC V2.3 is and how it helps get a refund when previously issued a Transportation Credit Voucher.

Thanks
Read the wiki section of Covid-19: Book with Confidence QR Policy and the PDF version of the policy, scroll down to FAQs.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
It's worth noting that Covid happened, many travel plans had to be cancelled, but we got a refund. Ideally, that refund should cover the cost of a similar trip, but I don't think it's a reasonable expectation. I had booked a flight when it was on sale and got a good deal, then had to cancel... I knew I wasn't going to get the same deal again, but was thankful to get a refund (VS just losing the money altogether.) Things change...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.