Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Transfer in DOH with checked bag on separate PNRs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer in DOH with checked bag on separate PNRs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: n/a
I spoke to them again yesterday and they were very nice and simply confirmed my booking numbers and asked if I was planning to enter into Doha, which I said no. The rep said I would be fine since both tickets were issued from Qatar and that the transit time was less than 24 hours. She said to make sure to bring a copy of my onward ticket confirmation when I checked in for the first flight. I asked if she added a comment to my booking to ensure I would have no issues checking in for my first flight, and she simply said we would be okay. Not sure if that helps anyone...but wanted to share.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by daway12
I spoke to them again yesterday and they were very nice and simply confirmed my booking numbers and asked if I was planning to enter into Doha, which I said no. The rep said I would be fine since both tickets were issued from Qatar and that the transit time was less than 24 hours. She said to make sure to bring a copy of my onward ticket confirmation when I checked in for the first flight. I asked if she added a comment to my booking to ensure I would have no issues checking in for my first flight, and she simply said we would be okay. Not sure if that helps anyone...but wanted to share.
Just get early at MLE. That will give the local supervisor to check with HQ.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by daway12
She said to make sure to bring a copy of my onward ticket confirmation when I checked in for the first flight. I asked if she added a comment to my booking to ensure I would have no issues checking in for my first flight, and she simply said we would be okay.
Was your experience as anticipated? I have QR ORD-DOH (ticket 1), QR DOH-MLE-DOH (ticket 2), QR DOH-DFW (ticket 3) later this month; each layover in DOH is < 12 hours. Should I call QR in advance, or just show up at check-in with the two tickets and state I'm flying to MLE via DOH (or to ORD via DFW) and that I need to be checked in for my connecting flight and my bags checked all the way through?
Old Nov 8, 2020, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by paulroyal
Was your experience as anticipated? I have QR ORD-DOH (ticket 1), QR DOH-MLE-DOH (ticket 2), QR DOH-DFW (ticket 3) later this month; each layover in DOH is < 12 hours. Should I call QR in advance, or just show up at check-in with the two tickets and state I'm flying to MLE via DOH (or to ORD via DFW) and that I need to be checked in for my connecting flight and my bags checked all the way through?
Just show the confirmation of your separate tickets at check-in.
No need to call QR in advance.

There were about 50+ members here in FlyerTalk that bought USA-DOH on award tickets ( mostly from AAdvantage ) and a separate revenue DOH-MLE ticket in Y. The agents should be quite familiar with this issue.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:27 am

So, was it everything ok with your joruney? I am in a similar situation and still don't know what to do!
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:53 pm

Award- 1/2 Award + Revenue =....

Curious if there was a definitive answer, as I'm in a similar circumstance.

Currently have Qatar IAH- DOH in business, DOH-MLE in economy on one AA award ticket.

Would like to depart days earlier, issue is no DOH- MLE award availability on AA or Qatar, before 1/31.

Would like to rebook my AA award as only IAH - DOH in Qatar business and purchase DOH - MLE in available economy direct with Qatar on separate revenue ticket.

Problem is, when I called Qatar, was told its wasn't possible, would need to exit the airport, which wasn't' allowed, because there were two tickets .

sounded odd, but didn't want to risk my vacation on bad information.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Bbaum1
Old Dec 19, 2020, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Guys, if you have two separate tickets on QR despite being award or revenue, QR would check through your bags to your final destination.

As I mentioned upthread to other posters, many FT members have done USA-DOH on AA awards and DOH-MLE on separate revenue tickets and no one had reported any issue but they have reported success. Outstation agents at the USA and MLE should be used to the situation by now.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 8:35 pm

Revenue + AA Award on QR

That's very good to hear, hopefully a poorly trained Qatar phone agent.

My worry wasn't only my suitcase of ugly Hawaiian shirts arriving.

I was curious if in Houston, if i'd be able to check the bag all the way.

I also wanted to know if could be ticketed all the way through in Houston, barding passes printed, etc.

Phone agent kept quoting COVID protocol, making it sound like it wasn't allowed.

Bbaum1
Old Dec 19, 2020, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In IAH, the check-in agents would be able to print boarding passes for both legs + check your bags all the way through MLE.
Same for the return.

However, in case of IRROPS ( eg. the IAH flight getting significantly delayed and not able to make the MLE flight ), you would not be protected and you might end up purchasing a walk-in ticket.
Also, it's not possible to merge tickets.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
In IAH, the check-in agents would be able to print boarding passes for both legs + check your bags all the way through MLE.
Same for the return.

However, in case of IRROPS ( eg. the IAH flight getting significantly delayed and not able to make the MLE flight ), you would not be protected and you might end up purchasing a walk-in ticket.
Also, it's not possible to merge tickets.
Thanks for the reassurance.

I have nine hours between flights, so hopefully, not an issue.

Sincerely,

Bbaum1
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bbaum1

Sincerely,

Bbaum1
You're welcome
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sincerely,
Bbaum1
For a ticket to DOH the airline will check you have passport/documentation to enter Qatar
Currently you would not have permission, unless a Qatar passport or other permission. I suspect the reply " Problem is, when I called Qatar, was told its wasn't possible, would need to exit the airport, which wasn't' allowed, because there were two tickets, was part of the admission to Qatar issue.
Is a gamble if QR would accept a separate ticket out of DOH in lieu of authority to enter. Would be better to get that in writing from Qatar government authority or QR.

I would do IAH-DOH-MLE on 1 ticket. Far less risk
Itineraries that were OK a year ago will not always work today due to Covid-19 restrictions
Click on Qatar here-->https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:15 pm

Mwenezi,

That's what I was told by Qatar on the phone, the reason for my concern.

I'd like to add some additional time, but not at the expense of loosing the flights.

I hear there have been many data points of those who did exactly what I'm suggesting, award + revenue, combining 2 tickets, without issue.

I'd sure like to hear someone who has done that successfully.

Bbaum1
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hear there have been many data points of those who did exactly what I'm suggesting, award + revenue, combining 2 tickets, without issue.
Pre covid-19 times:--yes
I have not read of any in these Covid-19 times.
The game has changed with Covid-19 restrictions

Have never read any airline combing award + revenue, tickets into 1 ticket. Bag interlining on separate tickets is another issue.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 11:02 pm

Correction

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Pre covid-19 times:--yes
I have not read of any in these Covid-19 times.
The game has changed with Covid-19 restrictions

Have never read any airline combing award + revenue, tickets into 1 ticket. Bag interlining on separate tickets is another issue.
i didn’t mean to imply the award and revenue tickets were combined, I know that’s not possible.

i meant combining the two to allow transiting through DOH to get to MLE.

As others have mentioned, many people booked the available AA award, USA to DOH, and a purchased separate DOH to MLE.

assuming that’s true, I’d like to hear about how it was done.

One data point at the beginning of this thread said a call to Qatar allowed combined, and it to happen.

Others said the two different types didn’t cause any issues.

Bbaum1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.