Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Transfer in DOH with checked bag on separate PNRs

Old Oct 8, 20, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb

I have a DOH-ORD itinerary booked for 2 weeks from now. My original DME-DOH flight (separate itinerary) has been cancelled by QR. I'm looking at alternatives and one of them is flying DME-IST-DOH on Turkish Air. I know that Qatar does not allow entry for holders of US or Russian passports right now, so is there a way to pick up my bag and re-check it without landside or should I abandon this plan?
Old Oct 8, 20, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I think you should abandon this plan, since youíll be denied boarding for flight 1 on the basis that you are not permitted to enter Qatar at the moment. The fact that airlines may interline on separate tickets is not relevant here.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 20, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC, Accor
If you can get QR to reroute you, that is going to be the best option. As stated above, trying to connect and interline on separate tickets where there is no connection (ie. A through ticket) nor any airline policy staying that they will support this is most likely end up with denied boarding in the current circumstances.

Last edited by plunet; Oct 8, 20 at 7:16 am
Old Oct 8, 20, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by plunet View Post
If you can get QR to reroute you, that is going to be the best option. As stated above, trying to connect and interline on separate tickets where there is no connection (ie. A through ticket) nor any airline policy staying that they will support this is most likely end up with denied boarding in the current circumstances.
How would QR reroute him if he canít get to DOH on another ticket?
Old Oct 8, 20, 4:16 pm

If you buy another ticket yourself to get to DOH, you definitely will not be allowed to board the first flight, unless that airline is able and is willing to interline your luggage.

Is Qatar still flying to Helsinki? If yes, ask Qatar to reroute you SVO - HEL - DOH. The SVO - HEL will be on Finnair, which is definitely able to interline your luggage with Qatar. The transit times could be challenging, though.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 20, 4:56 pm

Programs: n/a
There wouldn't be an issue if I bought separate Qatar tickets though, correct? I am flying DOH-DFW on points but needed to purchase my MLE-DOH segment separately, so I have two separate one-way tickets. Will I have any issues boarding in MLE if my ticket is only one-way to DOH, but I have a separate ticket from DOH to DFW eight hours after I land in DOH? Thanks
Old Oct 8, 20, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by daway12 View Post
There wouldn't be an issue if I bought separate Qatar tickets though, correct? I am flying DOH-DFW on points but needed to purchase my MLE-DOH segment separately, so I have two separate one-way tickets. Will I have any issues boarding in MLE if my ticket is only one-way to DOH, but I have a separate ticket from DOH to DFW eight hours after I land in DOH? Thanks
It should not be an issue.
daway12 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 20, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, if you are not on a single connecting itinerary, you should assume you'll be denied boarding as you do not meet entry requirements. Individual airlines (ie QR in this case) may choose to overlook this, but I would not make the assumption that that will be the case (ie don't self-connect).
Old Oct 9, 20, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Again, if you are not on a single connecting itinerary, you should assume you'll be denied boarding as you do not meet entry requirements. Individual airlines (ie QR in this case) may choose to overlook this, but I would not make the assumption that that will be the case (ie don't self-connect).
Each airline has a different policy on connecting on the same airline with two separate tickets. The OP is looking for an answer specific to QR connecting in DOH. QR used to allow such connections with checking bags to the final destinations even on two separate tickets; just like CX and many other airlines, even within OW. Whether the pax would be allowed to enter Qatar or Hong Kong was not relevant.
Unfortunately, covid introduced more restrictions. For example, transit in Hong Kong is only allowed if on the same ticket. But I don't think tht Qatar introduced the same restriction. Maybe some other poster can find a more official answer.
Old Oct 9, 20, 11:37 pm

The issue you have is
  1. when you check in for the first flight to DOH, if you don't have the right to enter Qatar, you will be denied boarding. If self-connecting to another flight you might find that the check-in agent will take your onward flight into account but there is no policy or guarantee they will.
  2. You need to find a carrier to interline your luggage through to your onward flight. If it is QR, then this should not be an issue.
  3. You need to get QR to protect the sector to ORD if they are not involved in getting you to DOH.
The suggestion upthread to use Finnair via HEL is a good one. The other option might be if S7 airlines are flying to DOH still, I know they used to. Both are partners with QR.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 20, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The issue you have is
  1. when you check in for the first flight to DOH, if you don't have the right to enter Qatar, you will be denied boarding. If self-connecting to another flight you might find that the check-in agent will take your onward flight into account but there is no policy or guarantee they will.
  2. You need to find a carrier to interline your luggage through to your onward flight. If it is QR, then this should not be an issue.
  3. You need to get QR to protect the sector to ORD if they are not involved in getting you to DOH.
The suggestion upthread to use Finnair via HEL is a good one. The other option might be if S7 airlines are flying to DOH still, I know they used to. Both are partners with QR.
It seems that daway12 already has the two QR tickets.
In the past, there would have been no problem. The QR check-in agent at origin would simply check you and your bag in QR system to the final destination. QR is not BA. There have been many posts on that topic.

The policy might have changed due to covid, but I do not see any official link that restricts transit at Hamad airport, like it does at HKG.
If the OP ticket MLE-DOH has not yet been issued, then there might be a problem buying it given restriction on entry in Qatar.
I strongly advise to call QR.
daway12 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 20, 7:45 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
First andreiz

1- TK does not fly to DME, are you sure that you made the right research. They fly to VKO instead.
2- TK would definitely deny boarding as you do not meet the entry criteria for Qatar.

If you would like to use your DOH-ORD ticket be sure to arrive in Doha with Qatar Airways; I assume that most airlines other than QR would deny separate tickets to DOH without a valid document to enter Doha.
Old Oct 10, 20, 12:49 pm

I meant to say this morning... (Added words in bold)

The suggestion upthread to get QR to use Finnair via HEL is a good one. The other option might be if S7 airlines are flying to DOH still, I know they used to. Both are partners with QR.
Old Oct 12, 20, 12:46 pm

Programs: n/a
brunos , thanks for the advice to call. I did call Qatar and they said usually not an issue having two one-way tickets when checking in but that this is currently not allowed under their Covid rules. I gave the rep my booking info for both legs on Qatar (MLE to DOH and DOH to DFW). After being put on hold for awhile he said he should be able to make it work but needed to send a request to management and for me to call back tomorrow to get an updated or new confirmation number. My onward ticket is the next available flight but is an award ticket with AA (I merely could not find award space all the was through) so from my perspective, seems very reasonable that I am not trying to enter Qatar. However, evidently this is still an issue, or at least is with the agent to spoke with today. Will update after calling them again tomorrow.
Old Oct 13, 20, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daway12 View Post
brunos , thanks for the advice to call. I did call Qatar and they said usually not an issue having two one-way tickets when checking in but that this is currently not allowed under their Covid rules. I gave the rep my booking info for both legs on Qatar (MLE to DOH and DOH to DFW). After being put on hold for awhile he said he should be able to make it work but needed to send a request to management and for me to call back tomorrow to get an updated or new confirmation number. My onward ticket is the next available flight but is an award ticket with AA (I merely could not find award space all the was through) so from my perspective, seems very reasonable that I am not trying to enter Qatar. However, evidently this is still an issue, or at least is with the agent to spoke with today. Will update after calling them again tomorrow.
In the current covid situation, States have issued strict guidelines that airlines have to follow to the letter, even if the spirit of your request is obviously good.
It is a good idea to get QR management involved. If they OK it, they will write a message in your booking that the check-in agent in MLE can apply confidently.

Good luck.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: