Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR playing chicken over cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Exsilver
I was booked to travel from EDI to SIN, via Doha in November. Yesterday QR cancelled the outward legs and the Doha to EDI leg, but not the SIN to Doha Flight. I have requested a refund.
Did you get an email about the cancellation?

After reading your post I went into MMB on one of my two November SOF-SIN bookings (tier point runs) and found the first leg showing as Not Confirmed and was invited to request a refund, which I did.

However my second SOF-SIN booking and my husband’s separate single SOF-SIN booking both look like they are in the middle of being rescheduled. Some of the original legs showing as Not Confirmed, then the rescheduled flights showing as either Confirmed or Partially Confirmed. But neither booking has an invitation to request a refund, just a link to cancel and refund.

I shall leave them for a while and see what happens. We have no intention of making the trip (even if Singapore opens the borders to short term visitors before November) but would prefer to have refunds than vouchers.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
Did you get an email about the cancellation?

After reading your post I went into MMB on one of my two November SOF-SIN bookings (tier point runs) and found the first leg showing as Not Confirmed and was invited to request a refund, which I did.

However my second SOF-SIN booking and my husband’s separate single SOF-SIN booking both look like they are in the middle of being rescheduled. Some of the original legs showing as Not Confirmed, then the rescheduled flights showing as either Confirmed or Partially Confirmed. But neither booking has an invitation to request a refund, just a link to cancel and refund.

I shall leave them for a while and see what happens. We have no intention of making the trip (even if Singapore opens the borders to short term visitors before November) but would prefer to have refunds than vouchers.
Yes, I got an email and, like you, will wait to see what develops but I have asked for refunds for the three out of four cancelled flights.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 1:14 pm

Yes, I got an email and, like you, will wait to see what develops but I have asked for refunds for the three out of four cancelled flights.
We haven’t had any emails yet - I just happened to see your post and checked MMB. I’ll give things a chance to catch up and perhaps try to call them if I’ve not received any email by tomorrow.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
We haven’t had any emails yet - I just happened to see your post and checked MMB. I’ll give things a chance to catch up and perhaps try to call them if I’ve not received any email by tomorrow.
Please let me know how you get on.
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: None
Take a look at the Book With Confidence Policy thread and read terms and conditions of the policy in the wiki. The policy states that "travel restrictions or travel bans imposed by authorities" are considered involuntary changes so I believe you should qualify for a refund regardless of whether or not your flight is cancelled.
I'm in this situation with flights to Malaysia in November. Malaysian government have closed their borders until end of the year so phoned up last week to request a refund. Qatar's view is that they are still operating the flight and there is still plenty of time for Malaysia to re-open the borders early so will only issue a refund closer to the flight date.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:22 pm

I was booked to travel from EDI to SIN, via Doha in November. Yesterday QR cancelled the outward legs and the Doha to EDI leg, but not the SIN to Doha Flight. I have requested a refund.
It looks like they've changed the frequency/timings for EDI with QR29/30 being moved about and QR31/32 making a comeback with I think a total of 4 per week (currently 3).
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Lifemiles, BA, MR, CSR
Thanks for the information everyone. It looks like I may qualify for the automatic refund since the travel ban for U.S. citizens into Thailand will almost certainly be in place into and through November. I do look at google flights and the QR website occasionally, and they show no flights from DOH-BKK through the end of September. I've checked periodically and it seems like QR at some point in each month decides to cancel all flights for a particular route for the following month. If there's DOH-BKK passenger flights occurring now in September I can't seem to find them.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by WeleaseBwian
I'm in this situation with flights to Malaysia in November. Malaysian government have closed their borders until end of the year so phoned up last week to request a refund. Qatar's view is that they are still operating the flight and there is still plenty of time for Malaysia to re-open the borders early so will only issue a refund closer to the flight date.
Have you checked your MMB recently? Routesonline has published Qatar Airways NW20 operation changes as of 22SEP20 and there is a reduction in services to KUL which if you are lucky will affect your flights....
Old Sep 25, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Apologies if this was discussed before:
I was originally booked on QR833 (BKK-DOH) in November. That flight was canceled the other day and now shows as "not confirmed" in MMB. QR seem to have automatically put me on QR839 instead.
I just called the Doha Call Center to ask for a full refund, but I was told that QR839 only leaves 30 mins after the original (but cancelled!) QR833, so this will not be regarded as a cancellation (with the option for a full refund) but only a schedule change (without the option for a full refund).
Anyone had this before?
Old Sep 25, 2020, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
I was originally booked on QR833 (BKK-DOH) in November. That flight was canceled the other day and now shows as "not confirmed" in MMB. QR seem to have automatically put me on QR839 instead.
I just called the Doha Call Center to ask for a full refund, but I was told that QR839 only leaves 30 mins after the original (but cancelled!) QR833, so this will not be regarded as a cancellation (with the option for a full refund) but only a schedule change (without the option for a full refund).
Anyone had this before?
I am not sure where is your origin ( first point of departure ) but if it's in Europe or the USA; subsequently US DoT or EC261/2004 would apply and you would be able to get a full refund.
For the Qatari law, I am not sure, however, if I'm not wrong, to get a refund the schedule change should be a minimum of 2 hours. I am not sure if cancelling the flight and rebooking you a flight within the 2 hours period would qualify as a cancellation under Qatari law.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I am not sure where is your origin ( first point of departure ) but if it's in Europe or the USA; subsequently US DoT or EC261/2004 would apply and you would be able to get a full refund.
For the Qatari law, I am not sure, however, if I'm not wrong, to get a refund the schedule change should be a minimum of 2 hours. I am not sure if cancelling the flight and rebooking you a flight within the 2 hours period would qualify as a cancellation under Qatari law.
Thanks, origin is IST ;-)
Old Sep 25, 2020, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Thanks, origin is IST ;-)
Turkish SHGM rules clearly indicate that if one of the departure time ( from IST ) and the arrival time ( to BKK or your onward destination ) fluctuates more than 15 minutes, you are entitled to a full refund.

However, I am not sure how you would convince QR to look at the Turkish SHGM rules because, for the last two months, all my calls to the QR Turkish speaking call center and the offices in Turkey are getting forwarded to the QR Global Hotline ( usually Doha based agents ). ( That might be because my number is being forwarded to the Platinum line - I haven't tried calling from a different number other than my personal mobile phone )
Old Sep 25, 2020, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Turkish SHGM rules clearly indicate that if one of the departure time ( from IST ) and the arrival time ( to BKK or your onward destination ) fluctuates more than 15 minutes, you are entitled to a full refund.

However, I am not sure how you would convince QR to look at the Turkish SHGM rules because, for the last two months, all my calls to the QR Turkish speaking call center and the offices in Turkey are getting forwarded to the QR Global Hotline ( usually Doha based agents ). ( That might be because my number is being forwarded to the Platinum line - I haven't tried calling from a different number other than my personal mobile phone )
Thanks ISTFlyer, yeah I know the 15 mins rule from TK.
Well, I still have some time. Maybe there will be another schedule change - also the fact that Thailand does not let anyone in seems to be considered an involuntary change, so I should be good
Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2020, 2:14 am

Anyone had this before?
Actually, HUCA did the trick. The second agent processed my refund...
Old Sep 26, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: None
Have you checked your MMB recently? Routesonline has published Qatar Airways NW20 operation changes as of 22SEP20 and there is a reduction in services to KUL which if you are lucky will affect your flights....
Just had the email to say change of schedule.... 13 hours change to arrival time so I've now requested a refund based on a significant change being too inconvenient!
WickedStepMother likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.