Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR playing chicken over cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2020, 8:14 am

I'm still waiting for my CPT flight a few days before yours plunet to be cancelled. My connection has been horribly rebooked too but I'll wait for the CPT to be cancelled before calling about the refund, rather than argue the toss now about reschedules and border closures.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: BAEC
Fingers crossed for you Johnnieboy
If you have a reschedule of more then 2 hours difference from the times you originally booked that's usually considered a criteria for an invol change by Qatar, even pre-COVID. Just incase that helps...
Old Aug 22, 2020, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by plunet
Fingers crossed for you Johnnieboy
If you have a reschedule of more then 2 hours difference from the times you originally booked that's usually considered a criteria for an invol change by Qatar, even pre-COVID. Just incase that helps...
Thank you. Yes I could argue it two ways now but the flight will definitely be cancelled and then it's an easy and quick call.

This is actually the 4th iteration of the same booking now so I'm calling it quits this time. But I know I'm not going and can wait until the day before if necessary to request the refund.

I'm also waiting for another booking the day after to be cancelled as well so hopefully I can do it all in one call

I'll report back when the CPT is actually cancelled though just to give you a guide on yours.
plunet and SkiSunday like this.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
We have LHR-DOH-CPT on 13/9, and they have stopped selling flights upto the 15/9 on that route, so I expect a cancellation any day now.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 12:01 pm

So I got around to giving Amex Travel UK a call on Thursday, explained that QR are in the habit of withdrawing a flight from sale but waiting until the last minute to cancel existing bookings, but I would like to cancel on the basis of a schedule change >2hrs, even though I could also cancel on closed borders and probably a cancelled flight in a few days time. Amex were looking at the same guidance as referenced in the wiki of the Book with Confidence thread.

Amex Travel had to call me back, which they did in about an hour, confirmed that they can cancel on the basis of a invol schedule change, and yesterday I had notification of a credit winging its way to my Amex card. And Amex didn't charge any admin fee for the cancellation either, which they are at liberty to do so.

That's pretty impressive performance, and although I've not had the cash yet it seems it's on its way in about 5 days. It took a Chinese airline 3 months and then my insurance another 2 months to handle a refund and claim for a repatriation flight out of China in Jan, a total of 5 months.

It does seem that although Qatar are being generous in general, the specifics leave a lot to be desired if you don't want a voucher, and for those of you who need to wait out for the flight actually be cancelled that gives you enough time to call in and get your refunds.

Last edited by plunet; Aug 31, 2020 at 2:06 am
Old Sep 3, 2020, 7:09 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Example of QR's leaving it until last minute to try and get people to take vouchers, a relatives flight booked in Jan for a trip to CPT for this Saturday, multiple phone calls as knew flight would be cancelled and did not want voucher. QR finally cancelled it Tuesday, QR finally redeem themselves refund in the account Thursday, resulted in happy relative.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Diver Boy
Example of QR's leaving it until last minute to try and get people to take vouchers, a relatives flight booked in Jan for a trip to CPT for this Saturday, multiple phone calls as knew flight would be cancelled and did not want voucher. QR finally cancelled it Tuesday, QR finally redeem themselves refund in the account Thursday, resulted in happy relative.
Ah, I would have been on the flight on Sunday in the tail wind of your relatives.

Pleased to report that I had my refund hit my account exactly 6 days after requesting it from Amex Travel UK, so overall that was a great service from both Qatar and Amex.

So now my dilemma is what staycation I should do, lol.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, AccorLiveLimitless Platinum, Qatar Airways Gold
Those who have experienced this, was your flight still showing in the timetable on QRs site? I have a flight for Nov Europe-Australia. If I try to book it again both outbound as well as inbound is not available on my dates, but if I look it up in QRs timetable it is still showing.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan88
Those who have experienced this, was your flight still showing in the timetable on QRs site? I have a flight for Nov Europe-Australia. If I try to book it again both outbound as well as inbound is not available on my dates, but if I look it up in QRs timetable it is still showing.
Yep, that's the scenario. They withdraw the flight from sale (all fare buckets are set to zero) but the flight still shows up as scheduled, hence the appearance in the timetable.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
I have a booking from EDI-SIN in November and tried a dummy booking for the flight I am booked on, just to see if it was possible. Obviously I didn't complete the booking and an hour later got an email from QR, asking me why I hadn't booked and telling me seats are selling fast. I responded that, as a tourist, I could not enter Singapore and they directed me to the Singapore Government website, which told me just that. My flight is still showing as departing on the due date.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Exsilver
I have a booking from EDI-SIN in November and tried a dummy booking for the flight I am booked on, just to see if it was possible. Obviously I didn't complete the booking and an hour later got an email from QR, asking me why I hadn't booked and telling me seats are selling fast. I responded that, as a tourist, I could not enter Singapore and they directed me to the Singapore Government website, which told me just that. My flight is still showing as departing on the due date.
QR is currently operating only QR946 daily.
They have no way of knowing if you satisfy Singapore entry requirements.

QR currently plans the usual schedule of 3 daily flights to SIN, but they are extremely like to cancel 2 of them and probably keep QR946.

It is too early to know for sure if you cannot enter SIN, I would say 99.99% sure.
Than you can avail of their 19 July policy (could be updated soon):
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...1.7.6%20v2.pdf

You case will qualify for "involuntary change".
Exsilver and WickedStepMother like this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 2:31 am

Programs: AA, UA, Lifemiles, BA, MR, CSR
New to this forum. Read it often but just signed up. I’m booked DFW-DOH-BKK R/T in J in mid-November. Not a miles redemption. Purchased for $3,100 back in January 2020 through AMEX travel prior to the pandemic and craziness and bought travel insurance. Reading this thread gives me some pause as to how to handle.

Thailand certainly won’t be open to Americans by November so this trip won’t happen. As noted, I purchased travel insurance - and paid the extra premium for “cancel for any reason” for 75% refund back in January, but by the terms of the policy I have to cancel at least 48 hours prior to departure. But if QR cancels certain legs of the flight (most likely DOH-BKK) I presume I would be entitled to a full refund since the flight originates in the U.S.?

But it seems like QR is not cancelling flights until the last minute so not sure how to handle. I guess I’ll wait until 3 days before departure and see what the flight status is, but I’m afraid that QR’s late cancellation of flights policy will cost me in excess of $750 if I have to file a travel insurance claim. Am I viewing this predicament in the wrong way or is there a simpler solution?
Old Sep 22, 2020, 11:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by 66Traveler
New to this forum. Read it often but just signed up. I’m booked DFW-DOH-BKK R/T in J in mid-November. Not a miles redemption. Purchased for $3,100 back in January 2020 through AMEX travel prior to the pandemic and craziness and bought travel insurance. Reading this thread gives me some pause as to how to handle.

Thailand certainly won’t be open to Americans by November so this trip won’t happen. As noted, I purchased travel insurance - and paid the extra premium for “cancel for any reason” for 75% refund back in January, but by the terms of the policy I have to cancel at least 48 hours prior to departure. But if QR cancels certain legs of the flight (most likely DOH-BKK) I presume I would be entitled to a full refund since the flight originates in the U.S.?

But it seems like QR is not cancelling flights until the last minute so not sure how to handle. I guess I’ll wait until 3 days before departure and see what the flight status is, but I’m afraid that QR’s late cancellation of flights policy will cost me in excess of $750 if I have to file a travel insurance claim. Am I viewing this predicament in the wrong way or is there a simpler solution?
Take a look at the Book With Confidence Policy thread and read terms and conditions of the policy in the wiki. The policy states that "travel restrictions or travel bans imposed by authorities" are considered involuntary changes so I believe you should qualify for a refund regardless of whether or not your flight is cancelled.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
QR is currently operating a couple of daily flights to BKK. Hence, your flight might not be cancelled.
But you can avail of ""travel restrictions or travel bans imposed by authorities" as mentioned above to get refund.
However you have to wait until closer to the departure date to be sure that the restrictions are still imposed.

I know that there are a few cases where QR cancels last minute.
But their policy is to keep flying a lot of flights to a lot of destinations. Quite different from most airlines. Their flights are very empty and mostly with returning residents and some officials/health people. But they also carry cargo. Many longhaul airlines have grounded most of their ac and either pay their staff to do nothing, avail to government wage subsidies or furlough them. QR pay them to fly semi-empty planes (with still outstanding service) and thereby provide a great service to the international community.

As a dual national who has had to fly longhaul extensively since covid, I am very grateful. I have flown BA F early July and appreciate the gigantic difference in these troubled times..

Last edited by brunos; Sep 23, 2020 at 4:28 am
Old Sep 23, 2020, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
I was booked to travel from EDI to SIN, via Doha in November. Yesterday QR cancelled the outward legs and the Doha to EDI leg, but not the SIN to Doha Flight. I have requested a refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.