Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways now requiring face shields in addition to masks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Face shields in addition to masks are now required in economy, while they are optional in Business class. Understandable given Qatar's current infection rate.

https://www.businessinsider.com/qata...20-7?r=DE&IR=T
Old Jul 7, 2020, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
This is not good news, however, I am an easy-sleeper so I wouldn't care that much.
But, this also encourages people to purchase those discounted cash upgrades to Business Class.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 8:40 pm

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Maybe a bit OT but I thinks it is an understandable move from QR.
Yesterday on a QR flight DOH-FCO, 125 Bangladeshis were sent back directly to DOH and then Dhaka through the same AC, as Italy reclosed the borders to Bangladesh citizens after the previous day a direct Biman charter flight from DAC was found with 39 passengers positive to Covid19 even they were handling certificates stating Covid free. Actually there is a cluster of Covid19 positive in the Bangladeshi community in Rome due to infected persons back from their country after the reopening on borders on June the 1st.
125 Bangladeshis on flight from Qatar stopped, send back
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:05 pm

Programs: Qatar Plat OW*E, HH Diamond, Hyatt Exp, Marriott Titanium
I just flew GRU > DOH and DOH > ATH in economy.

They gave the face shields to everyone including business class as waited in the line to board. They are actually very comfortable and I didn't even notice I was wearing it. Super easy to breathe and no glare or imposition to vision.
largeeyes and SanDiego1K like this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by BobFF68
Maybe a bit OT but I thinks it is an understandable move from QR.
Yesterday on a QR flight DOH-FCO, 125 Bangladeshis were sent back directly to DOH and then Dhaka through the same AC, as Italy reclosed the borders to Bangladesh citizens after the previous day a direct Biman charter flight from DAC was found with 39 passengers positive to Covid19 even they were handling certificates stating Covid free. Actually there is a cluster of Covid19 positive in the Bangladeshi community in Rome due to infected persons back from their country after the reopening on borders on June the 1st.
125 Bangladeshis on flight from Qatar stopped, send back
COVID-free certificates never seemed a good idea. it simply spawns an industry providing the paperwork for cash, and turns airlines into vectors for disease.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 3:04 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Italy stopped entry for travelers from 13 countries including Bangladesh; others include Brazil, Peru, Chile and Bosnia
Old Jul 11, 2020, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
IMHO, the inconvenience of wearing a mask AND shield is NOTHING as compared to the risk of becoming covid +ve. A colleague was in hospital for over a month with being +ve (and getting pneumonia) here in Doha. He spent April, and more in hospital. Unpleasant!

Take your chances and ignore the precautions. Good luck to you if you do that.
kq747 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by tmac100
IMHO, the inconvenience of wearing a mask AND shield is NOTHING as compared to the risk of becoming covid +ve. A colleague was in hospital for over a month with being +ve (and getting pneumonia) here in Doha. He spent April, and more in hospital. Unpleasant!

Take your chances and ignore the precautions. Good luck to you if you do that.
Hmm my friend is not overjoyed at the mask AND visor situation- especially as he spent 3 weeks in hospital back in May with the virus so theoritacally should be safe anyway
Old Jul 13, 2020, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Sam Lewis
Hmm my friend is not overjoyed at the mask AND visor situation- especially as he spent 3 weeks in hospital back in May with the virus so theoritacally should be safe anyway
Dear Sam Lewis,

With full respect to you and to your friend, I just wish to point out some slight misinformation.

Unfortunately, currently there is no scientific evidence to prove that once you have had Covid-19 that you become immune to getting it again. This depends on many factors indeed. To the contrary, there are presently many cases of re-infection under investigation internationally. I am also not overjoyed at the mask and visor situation, but it is a small sacrifice that I can make to put fellow passengers sitting around me at ease in this complex time and also to support harm minimisation to others, should I unknowingly have the virus (asymptomatic) or to minimise the chances of me being infected, should someone else have the virus in my vicinity. I'm sure that even with the remote possibility that re-infection could happen, that your friend would prefer to wear the mask/visor for a flight, than to re-live the horror of three weeks in hospital again, this time perhaps even with the more virulent mutated strain currently circulating.

Just my two cents )) Again, with complete respect to you.
kq747 and pxm like this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by Sam Lewis
To quote Colonel Potter: You don't need to like it, just tolerate it a whole lot.

-A
Old Jul 18, 2020, 5:11 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Do someone know if the economy seats are all used or there is any social distance on the planes ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.