Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR A380s "will not return for at least a year, maybe never"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR A380s "will not return for at least a year, maybe never"

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: Some
Sad day

Makes me wish I'd taken more QR A380 flights when I had the chance.
Work-Shy and clubeurope like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
For the long term, Qatar may need the A380's especially on routes to Australia where they could not obtain any extra slots.
For high-demand locations that have ( and still would have ) slot problems, a decrease of 517 seats to 300 seater aircraft might not maximize the profit when things start to get normal.
But the reality is that airline chiefs are rapidly having to plan - in the ‘long-term’ - for a world without the A380. More efficient aircraft will become the equipment of choice.

Even the A380’s most ardent supporter and user - Emirates - believe that the aircraft’s days are numbered. This from their highly-experienced President, Sir Tim Clark ..........

https://www.airlive.net/the-a380-is-over-says-emirates-president-sir-tim-clark/

We know the A380 is over” Emirates president Sir Tim Clark declared earlier this week, although for balance he also allowed that the Boeing 747 had similarly seen its day.

“But the A350 and the 787 will always have a place,” Clark told The National, positing a future that belongs to fuel-efficient twin-engine jets, at least where long-range flying and the global networks of hub-based airlines was concerned.”
Old May 13, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Best aircraft ever.

Sad to see it retired.
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:22 pm

Won't they be stuck paying the leases on these planes? Seems like a mighty expensive thing to mothball.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by dlaue
Best aircraft ever.

Sad to see it retired.
QR did not retire them, they currently parked them to long-term storage.
The future of these birds are still unknown.
Old May 13, 2020, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zack14
Only emirates will be operating A380s after this crisis
I'd suggest Qantas will have its A380s back in the air, although maybe not all 12.
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thierry
I wonder what will happen to the exclusive First class lounge at DOH airport.
I'd take a punt on first class for the 'local' middle-east flights and in addition to QRPC Platinums in J, maybe also Oneworld Emeralds in J (counterpoint would be to look after QR's own first, but the next logical step might be QRPC Platinums in Y and that could well be a bridge too far).
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 9:37 pm

Maybe wishful thinking, but I really can't imagine they'd retire this incredible subfleet! Jealously would love to see on JFK-won't hold my breathe since no Qsuites and no gates..
Old May 15, 2020, 1:20 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
They may wish to update their website as they are still selling First Class and listed the A380 for both London and Frankfurt later this year!
NWplatinum likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
What a waste of time and money. Remember Al-Baker crying about not getting his “beautiful” A380. This ended up being a total bust for them and confused people flying Qsuites and introduced this somewhat quasi-F product that doesn’t even really exist. They should open the F lounge to long haul J pax now especially with the A380’s gone.

Someone flying DOH-KWI doesn’t need showers and day bedrooms.
Old May 15, 2020, 2:18 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
What a waste of time and money. Remember Al-Baker crying about not getting his “beautiful” A380. This ended up being a total bust for them and confused people flying Qsuites and introduced this somewhat quasi-F product that doesn’t even really exist. They should open the F lounge to long haul J pax now especially with the A380’s gone.

To be clear, if they allow the 1,000s of J passengers into Al Safwa each day then the facilities will be so overwhelmed it's still unlikely they will be getting a shower or day bedroom in Al Safwa anyway.

These J passengers can already pay for Al Safwa if they want it and I don't understand what 'confusion' it's caused for Qsuites passengers - why would a J passenger think they have access to the F lounge? Al Safwa was always going to lose money, it's deliberately over the top and a prestige 'halo' project, not about ramming it full with J passengers.
Braniff likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 2:23 am

Programs: OWE, *G
As much as I like the A380, I found it good for medium-haul dayflights, eg. from LHR to DOH, since all the flight could be spent at the bar. If I weren't spending the time there, I'd much rather have QSuites. Sad to see it go, though.
Old May 15, 2020, 5:49 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by NWplatinum

Your post has lost me.

QR F was flying for many years before the QSuite was introduced, and QR F is an excellent product.

AAB has said, for a number of years, that he didn't envisage a future for longhaul F, so the QSuite came as no surprise to anybody - it was designed to be better than J, but not as good as F; and that's precisely what it is.

I will miss QR F, and having flown more than 120 longhaul F sectors I know the product inside and out!

In terms of the Al Safwa, it will remain for QRPC Platinums in J, but I sincerely hope they do not open it to all J.

M
fender5787 likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 2:56 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
QR to retire about 50 planes - report

QR is planning to retire about 50 aircraft due to Covid-19, based on remarks by Al Baker in a BBC interview: https://www.airlive.net/breaking-qat...avirus-crisis/

The A330's and 380's would make 33 aircraft and maybe some older 77W may count for the total of about 50 a/c.
Old May 16, 2020, 3:07 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
My point was that it’s gotten confusing since they really don’t have an F product, and without the A380 it’s really worse. And while I agree not to just let everyone in to ruin it, there has to be some middle ground. They made this beautiful Al-Safwa lounge and I admit it’s probably one of the best F lounges I’ve been to, and I’ve been to a lot. They should have some barometer at this point given where their business plan has gone. Taking the A380 out just leaves the beautiful Al-Safwa lounge even more empty, so what’s the point in even having it? Especially with hotel rooms that long haul passengers (for the most part) can’t even access?

If you ever have spare time, sit in front of the Al-Safwa entrance and watch literally one after the other who just arrived from LAX, DFW, IAH, ORD, JFK etc... who need a shower or have a long layover and a bed turned away and told “oh this lounge isn’t for you. Go across the terminal.” I must’ve seen fifty people in a span of 15 minutes while they processed my purchase for entrance. Which I would also add, only people in the frequent flyer community know you can buy entrance it’s not advertised.

The point is they should think about how they want to utilize the Al-Safwa lounge moving forward. Keeping it empty to where there’s only domestic passengers on hour flights doesn’t seem like a good use of the space. Imagine if you will UA Polaris lounges we’re only allowed to be entered by people flying on domestic flights. And the guy who purchased an international J flight of 10-12 hours was turned away and told to go use the United Club.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.