Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR A380s "will not return for at least a year, maybe never"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2020, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Pretty straight-forward: AAB says "Qatar Airways is parking its 10 A380s and they will not return for at least a year, and maybe never."
https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...y-never-return

Also, SCMP reports likely delays to Airbus & Boeing deliveries: https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...cash-injection
Old May 12, 2020, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
...as with most other A380 operators except EK.
Old May 12, 2020, 10:57 pm

Sad... very sad. Having grown up unable to afford air travel... the 747 flew past me (pun intended)... and until now the A380 is still my favourite in the sky!
Old May 13, 2020, 3:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
One of the (many) sad ‘collateral damage’ effects of Covid-19.

Will miss the excellent onboard lounge more than anything. It does a fine job of replicating a classy on-the-ground cocktail bar ...... with the rather notable added benefit that there is no bill to settle at the end of your visit
GalaxyChris, SullyofDoha and zsc like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 5:04 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
Great memories from a trip to Melbourne with Qatar. Spent a lot of the flight in the lounge / bar, great chat with the cabin crew and free flowing drinks.
Old May 13, 2020, 5:18 am

ah explains why my A380 flight is cancelled in Oct
Old May 13, 2020, 5:24 am

I was looking forward to my first ever long haul business class trip, on an a380 out of CDG this summer.
Oh well.
Old May 13, 2020, 5:45 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
That means as well the end of First class at QR. I'll miss the quiet cabin and elegant accommodation.
I wonder what will happen to the exclusive First class lounge at DOH airport.
Old May 13, 2020, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by thierry
That means as well the end of First class at QR. I'll miss the quiet cabin and elegant accommodation.
I wonder what will happen to the exclusive First class lounge at DOH airport.
I feel first class was something that was slowly dying off across all airlines; some quicker than others.
Makes little sense to have a first class when your business class is as good, if not better than some first classes used to be not so long ago.
Old May 13, 2020, 5:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Wil Al Safwa then because purely for "first class" flights within the Middle East or will they try more to sell "upgrades" to people from AM?
Old May 13, 2020, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by wijibintheair
Wil Al Safwa then because purely for "first class" flights within the Middle East or will they try more to sell "upgrades" to people from AM?
Platinum members flying in J can also use Al Safwa.

Shame about the A380s, lovely to fly in.
SullyofDoha likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
I've only flown the A380 with BA and not a great fan of that configuration, and QR, and always enjoyed being able to get up and go to the bar to break up the scenery and stretch my legs,

We have flights booked for mid-September where we explicitly chose the A380 for the experience. It is still currently showing as an A380, but I expect the flight will be cancelled, and we will be moved to another flight closer to the time
Old May 13, 2020, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by escape2sun
We have flights booked for mid-September where we explicitly chose the A380 for the experience. It is still currently showing as an A380, but I expect the flight will be cancelled, and we will be moved to another flight closer to the time
Or possibly an equipment change.
My CDG-DOH-CDG flights are now changed to a350 aircraft.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:53 am

Only emirates will be operating A380s after this crisis
Old May 13, 2020, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
For the long term, Qatar may need the A380's especially on routes to Australia where they could not obtain any extra slots.
For high-demand locations that have ( and still would have ) slot problems, a decrease of 517 seats to 300 seater aircraft might not maximize the profit when things start to get normal.
Matt4 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.