Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 Coming Back Early?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Covid-19 Coming Back Early?

I'm currently abroad with my family of 5 (including me) and my return flight to the UK is 30 March. We spent 2.5k on tickets in Economy.

I am wondering whether it is worth returning back early or not as I am concerned that by the 30th the UK government may close the airports.

We are in no rush to come back, but dont want to be delayed coming back after the 30th.

I managed to get through to the travel agent who quoted me £210 per person to change the tickets for Monday. I checked and QR have the same flights one way for £290, so all I am saving is £80 by changing my travel dates (almost effectively repurchasing the return tickets in their entierity).

Is the travel agent having me on with this price or is that what I should expect? Considering half our ticket prices would be worth £250 and if the return flight costs £290 then I would have expected to pay £40 per person? Not sure how they came to the £210 figure.

Is it worth contacted QR direct? Should I bother returning earlier if it costs so much? Considering if the border closes before my new return date then its wasted money anyway.

Interested in opinions I guess...
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Did you book with QR direct? Where are you right now?
Which airport in the UK are you supposed to travel to? Some airports are struggling financially and might need a bailout or might just collapse.
I recommend returning ASAP, especially if you're in a high(er) risk country.
At the end of the day, the situation changes very frequently and people might also rush to get back to the country resulting in prices rising.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Faisal777
I'm currently abroad with my family of 5 (including me) and my return flight to the UK is 30 March. We spent 2.5k on tickets in Economy.

I am wondering whether it is worth returning back early or not as I am concerned that by the 30th the UK government may close the airports.

We are in no rush to come back, but dont want to be delayed coming back after the 30th.

I managed to get through to the travel agent who quoted me £210 per person to change the tickets for Monday. I checked and QR have the same flights one way for £290, so all I am saving is £80 by changing my travel dates (almost effectively repurchasing the return tickets in their entierity).

Is the travel agent having me on with this price or is that what I should expect? Considering half our ticket prices would be worth £250 and if the return flight costs £290 then I would have expected to pay £40 per person? Not sure how they came to the £210 figure.

Is it worth contacted QR direct? Should I bother returning earlier if it costs so much? Considering if the border closes before my new return date then its wasted money anyway.

Interested in opinions I guess...
Well looks like one of my flights got cancelled and I've been rescheduled to arrive 24 hours later than expected. Can I use this as leverage to get earlier flights? Since we need to arrive back on time to get back to work etc.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Just read that thread :
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qata...june-30th.html
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Matt4
Thanks but I've already done that.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Well here is a good update, finally got through to the travel agent who confirmed that the flight schedule has been changed and they have not accepted the new schedule yet, they say I will be called by the correct department to discuss this but effectively I should be able to propose any new return date FOC.

Saves me £1k and gets me home sooner so am happy, just gotta wait for the call.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I don't know where you are enjoying yourselves and whether you are UK citizens.
Luckily for you, the UK is the slowest country to impose travel restrictions. And LHR is a major destination for QR.
AT this point in the global crisis, it might be silly to worry about a few pounds with a family of five. I would suggest that you take the earliest convenient schedule, hoping that QR does call you. Stay near your phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.