Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
'Extending Our Commitment' policy has ended as of Oct 1st 2022.
Please see 'Schedule Change' policy below.

Web Version PDF Version

Important: Read the disclaimers and changes below before reading the policy.

Disclaimers:
  • The version of the policy at the time of change applies.*
  • This document was made for viewing by travel agents, not passengers.
  • You must call in to make the changes to your ticket since fees are waived manually.
  • This policy is in addition to the fare rules of your ticket.
  • Conditions of Carriage still apply.
  • It is expected that there will be more changes to the policy in the future and Qatar Airways can amend the policy without prior notice.
*You are welcome to pursue legal action with QR and prove this wrong. We are merely warning you what will happen when you call in and perform a change.
ALL TIMES/DATES IN DOHA TIME (GMT+3)

Wiki maintained by realgaga
Print Wikipost

Covid-19: Book with Confidence QR Policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Covid-19: Book with Confidence QR Policy

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/pres...32000000001105

Can anyone confirm if this policy is indeed true and one can change their itinerary free of charge? If so, this would be quite a boon and better than many western carrier’s polices
Sisyphus1carus and kaffir76 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Commercial Policy on all Tickets

Qatar Airways recognises that some passengers may wish to alter their existing travel plans in light of COVID-19 (coronavirus). We have altered our commercial policy accordingly in order to provide maximum flexibility and peace of mind to our customers.

Passengers travelling with Qatar Airways up to 30 June 2020 can now change their travel plans free of charge by altering their booking dates or opting to receive a travel voucher up to three days prior to departure.

Fees for booking alterations will be waived if reservations are changed at least three days before departure. Fare differences may apply. The travel voucher can be used for future travel with Qatar Airways, valid for one year from its issuance date. Penalties will be waived if cancellations are submitted at least three days before departure.

This policy is valid for all Qatar Airways flights and those of its codeshare and interline partners booked as published fares, either directly from or through travel agents.

Lufthansa announced a similar policy today, so one would assume that other 'western carriers' will follow. I'm curious if the 'travel voucher' they plan to issue is valid for any ticket on QR, or bound to the route.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
I tried to cancel a booking I have online that would qualify but they still charge me the cancelation fee, I think people will have to call as their IT can't probably issue a voucher automatically when passenger choose to cancel
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:21 am

I've been holding off on cancelling an upcoming series of flights, waiting for an announcement like this. I'll definitely be taking advantage of the offer to rebook.

I'm sure their call centers will be busy...
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
So I was able to change a booking by calling their US number; pretty easy, but needless to say if there’s a fare difference you still have to pay that. Of note though, according to the CS rep, apparently as long as this policy is valid and in play, one should be able to change their tickets as many times as one wants. This is pretty awesome as most carriers have only been offering one time change fee waivers and this essentially turns any ticket for flights before June 30th into a flex ticket, provided the policy is active. Color me surprised, but this is a pretty awesome policy QR. Kudos!
palmanfr likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:22 am

This is awesome. I've been hoping for something like this. Took QR long enough but better late than never!
Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:28 am

Do we think this policy will be around for a while?

Our trip is in four weeks and I'd like to wait as long as possible.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:30 am

Slightly confused - if you cancel do you get your money back or a travel voucher? Or do you choose which option?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Slightly confused - if you cancel do you get your money back or a travel voucher? Or do you choose which option?
It looks like you get a voucher to the value of your ticket to use against a new booking in the next 12 months. I suspect they would say it's a gesture of goodwill to allow flexible travel arrangements under the circumstances.

I'll need to call them tomorrow. Unless anyone has heard that you can make the changes online and then claim the change fees back later?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
It looks like you get a voucher to the value of your ticket to use against a new booking in the next 12 months. I suspect they would say it's a gesture of goodwill to allow flexible travel arrangements under the circumstances.

I'll need to call them tomorrow. Unless anyone has heard that you can make the changes online and then claim the change fees back later?
That's how I read it too but this line implies free cancellation?

Penalties will be waived if cancellations are submitted at least three days before departure.
I guess the voucher has to be spent within a year, but you could book in say, seven months, for a flight 11 months later, right?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:03 pm

If anyone gets clarification on the refund policy please would you post here. On the face of it there appears to only be a travel voucher option for outright cancellation but the "Penalties will be waived if cancellations are submitted at least three days before departure." statement possibly means refunds are an option.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
If anyone gets clarification on the refund policy please would you post here. On the face of it there appears to only be a travel voucher option for outright cancellation but the "Penalties will be waived if cancellations are submitted at least three days before departure." statement possibly means refunds are an option.
On the app when I cancel to seek a refund (without proceeding) it still says a fee will be charged.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by worldtrav
In my interpretation, the amount of the voucher will equal the fare paid, rather than having the penalty amount deducted.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:19 pm

What if the new flights are cheaper than the original booking?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:46 pm

Does the voucher value have to be used in full for one booking, or can it be spread over several bookings over time? Asking because > 90% of the cost of my ticket is refundable and the refund would be fully-flexible and not time-limited for reuse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.