Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
'Extending Our Commitment' policy has ended as of Oct 1st 2022.
Please see 'Schedule Change' policy below.

Web Version PDF Version

Important: Read the disclaimers and changes below before reading the policy.

Disclaimers:
  • The version of the policy at the time of change applies.*
  • This document was made for viewing by travel agents, not passengers.
  • You must call in to make the changes to your ticket since fees are waived manually.
  • This policy is in addition to the fare rules of your ticket.
  • Conditions of Carriage still apply.
  • It is expected that there will be more changes to the policy in the future and Qatar Airways can amend the policy without prior notice.
*You are welcome to pursue legal action with QR and prove this wrong. We are merely warning you what will happen when you call in and perform a change.
ALL TIMES/DATES IN DOHA TIME (GMT+3)

Wiki maintained by realgaga
Print Wikipost

Covid-19: Book with Confidence QR Policy

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2022, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
Nice! How much of your ticket had been used?
I flew the outbound portion and didn't take the return portion. I should have been due the roughly half the value of the ticket but they refunded the original purchase amount.
Old May 7, 2022, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I guess this is a bank error in your favor as these kinds of refunds are processed manually.
Once, TAP Portugal forgot to charge me a $500 cancellation fee for a voluntary refund which was clearly stated on the fare rules.
Old May 9, 2022, 9:19 am

I would appreciate some help in clarifying the rules...I can't call QR because I am not ready to make a change yet, and anyway the agents don't know anything, I want to be prepared to tell them the rules.

I have a booking for flights before 30 Sep; I may want to change the dates. The rules say
If re-issuing without any fare difference including taxes, fees, charges and surcharges:
  • Rebook in the same ticketed RBD as original (within the same cabin and OAL) and flights as permitted according to original ticketed fare basis
Now this could be interpreted as either
(a) If there is no fare difference, it must still be rebooked in the original RBD; or
(b) If it can be rebooked in the same RBD (i.e. the same fare basis is available for the new flight), no fare difference shall be charged

Now (a) seems nonsensical to me, because if the fare is the same but the fare class is different, I can just get a refund and buy a new ticket. So I think it is (b). Does anyone have any definitive information or experience? Many thanks!

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; May 9, 2022 at 9:36 am
Old May 10, 2022, 6:51 am

Programs: SE+, OWS
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I would appreciate some help in clarifying the rules...I can't call QR because I am not ready to make a change yet, and anyway the agents don't know anything, I want to be prepared to tell them the rules.

I have a booking for flights before 30 Sep; I may want to change the dates. The rules sayNow this could be interpreted as either
(a) If there is no fare difference, it must still be rebooked in the original RBD; or
(b) If it can be rebooked in the same RBD (i.e. the same fare basis is available for the new flight), no fare difference shall be charged

Now (a) seems nonsensical to me, because if the fare is the same but the fare class is different, I can just get a refund and buy a new ticket. So I think it is (b). Does anyone have any definitive information or experience? Many thanks!
not sure what was your question... however if you book a flight for 1000 USD in the Juliet class, you can change it to any other date if there is a Juliet class avaiable for free of charge. (unitl 30 september)
and if you want alternative flight that doesnt have Juliet class but some higher RBD, then you can pay the fare differenece.
Also if there is higher class thats cheaper than you original fare (1000 USD), you can request the higher class and the agent should "upgrade you" to the higher fare bucket, free of charge as well.
Old May 10, 2022, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by fridgy
not sure what was your question... however if you book a flight for 1000 USD in the Juliet class, you can change it to any other date if there is a Juliet class avaiable for free of charge. (unitl 30 september)
You understood my question. I originally asked in the newbie thread, and the poster who replied said that I could only change the booking at no charge if the new fare was the same, but not if the same class (RBD) was available at a higher fare.
fridgy likes this.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; May 10, 2022 at 10:39 am
Old May 10, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: AY+Plat
You understood my question. I originally asked in the newbie thread, and the poster who replied said that I could only change the booking at no charge if the new fare was the same, but not if the same class was available at a higher fare.
He/She was right.
Old May 10, 2022, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by lento
He/She was right.
So it's all a matter of competing opinions (yours vs fridgys)? There are no facts?

As I said earlier, it doesn't make sense to say you can only change if the new flight has the same price and also the same RBD (e.g. D, I, etc) available, because I can always get a cash refund and buy the other ticket. The change policy does not makes sense if it is more restrictive than the refund policy. But I do realize that what QR does might not make sense.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; May 10, 2022 at 10:59 am
Old May 10, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: AY+Plat
So it's all a matter of competing opinions (yours vs fridgys)? There are no facts?
Well it was based on personal experience (fact ?). I changed Economy (O) to Economy (O), just date change and had to pay increased fare.
Old May 10, 2022, 12:15 pm

Well it was based on personal experience (fact ?). I changed Economy (O) to Economy (O), just date change and had to pay increased fare.
OK, now that is helpful. Thanks!
Old May 10, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: SE+, OWS
you shouldnt have. Same RBD to same RBD is without fare difference, IF the flight date is until 30th of september.

edit:// i changed my ticket at least 5 times this month, always voluntarly same booking class to same booking class. The new fare would cost me around 1000 euro more, but the agents always did it free of charge due to same booking class available.
Old May 10, 2022, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by fridgy
you shouldnt have. Same RBD to same RBD is without fare difference, IF the flight date is until 30th of september.

edit:// i changed my ticket at least 5 times this month, always voluntarly same booking class to same booking class. The new fare would cost me around 1000 euro more, but the agents always did it free of charge due to same booking class available.
Ah, personal experience also; much more reassuring than a bald statement that something is a certain way. Yes, the question is about before 30 Sep. Thanks!
Old May 19, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I'm booked on QR flights JFK-DOH-ATH and return in September and just got hit with the QR703 cancellation. QR has substituted 703 with a booking on the AA DOH-JFK flight. I definitely do not want to fly AA after paying for QR metal. There are also alternative QR flights with better connections and better timings.

Does the Book With Confidence policy allow me to switch to other QR flights at no added cost because of the change to AA metal? I'm not looking to change the dates or destinations.
Old May 19, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I'm booked on QR flights JFK-DOH-ATH and return in September and just got hit with the QR703 cancellation. QR has substituted 703 with a booking on the AA DOH-JFK flight. I definitely do not want to fly AA after paying for QR metal. There are also alternative QR flights with better connections and better timings.

Does the Book With Confidence policy allow me to switch to other QR flights at no added cost because of the change to AA metal? I'm not looking to change the dates or destinations.
Since your ticketed flight was cancelled, standard airline practice is to allow you to select alternate flights of your choosing. This is even more basic than the BwC policy, although that should apply as well.
Old May 19, 2022, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by anabolism
Since your ticketed flight was cancelled, standard airline practice is to allow you to select alternate flights of your choosing. This is even more basic than the BwC policy, although that should apply as well.
Great. Would I be able to change the outbound flights as well? There were no changes to those flights, but there are much better timings available.
Old May 19, 2022, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Great. Would I be able to change the outbound flights as well? There were no changes to those flights, but there are much better timings available.
As explained a few posts above (but not unanimously agreed upon), you should be able to change any flights before 9/30 without charge IF the new flight is in the same booking class (same one-letter class code, formally known as RBD). Best to verify in advance that the same RBD is available, perhaps by making a dummy booking on qatarairways.com to see the RBD (or via Expertflyer subscription). Then tell the agent what to do, don't let them tell you.

For canceled flights, on the other hand, you should be able to choose a new flight at no cost irrespective of RBD. I have had them say "no availability" just because there is no availability in the same RBD; and if so you will have to insist, saying it is an involuntary change and so they have to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.