Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Flights to China / Coronavirus / Travel Waivers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights to China / Coronavirus / Travel Waivers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by laziale
Hi all -
I booked a flight to Hanoi for 20th of March in November for a marathon.
The type of booking was non-refundable, since the coronavirus was not alive then.
We were so excited to visit Vietnam that we also upgraded our flights with miles without any plan for cancellation.

Yesterday we received news that the marathon has been canceled and today I'm reading in the news that a whole village near Hanoi, with population of 10k has been in quarantine, link https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/18...er-coronavirus

I got in touch with Qatar via twitter but they are not willing to do any refund for our tickets.
What are our options in this case, should I try and call Privilege club as a gold member I'm not sure if that will make any difference.
In case I cancel the ticket by myself I'm assuming no refund will be provided by Qatar since the fare is non refundable.

We still really want to go to Vietnam but with the bad news arriving day by day we don't want to be put under a risk of Corona virus.
If the ticket is non-refundable your best bet is not to cancel it now. You won't lose more by cancelling nearer the time.

The situation is changing daily and could go either way by the time you are due to fly. You may feel happy to travel just for a holiday by then, or some other guidance or directive may be in place which allows perhaps a refund, postponement or re-route from QR or a claim on your travel insurance.

As always in these situations the best advice is not to panic.

Last edited by Johnnieboy; Feb 13, 2020 at 4:56 am
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:15 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Hi all -
The type of booking was non-refundable, since the coronavirus was not alive then.
We were so excited to visit Vietnam that we also upgraded our flights with miles without any plan for cancellation.

Yesterday we received news that the marathon has been canceled and today I'm reading in the news that a whole village near Hanoi, with population of 10k has been in quarantine, link https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/18...er-coronavirus

I got in touch with Qatar via twitter but they are not willing to do any refund for our tickets.
What are our options in this case, should I try and call Privilege club as a gold member I'm not sure if that will make any difference.
In case I cancel the ticket by myself I'm assuming no refund will be provided by Qatar since the fare is non refundable.

We still really want to go to Vietnam but with the bad news arriving day by day we don't want to be put under a risk of Corona virus.
Unless there is a waiver for your destination, they won't refund or waive your change fee.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hi all -

Don't cancel the ticket yet - just wait. Anything could happen between now and 20th March. The only circumstance in which they would refund is if a NOTAM is issued preventing aircraft from landing in Vietnam or if a NOTAM is issued preventing aircraft originating Vietnam from landing in Doha. I think both situations are highly unlikely but there is no benefit to cancelling the ticket now. The situation could improve or worsen before then.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 4:49 pm

Programs: EY Platinum, MH Gold
In case it helps anyone, AA will refund award bookings on QR from HKG without charge. I had one booked from HKG to DOH on monday and phoned up asking to change city of origin. They said they could only change to ICN or NRT. Im currently in KUL so neither option helped. The agent then said they could refund without charge, which he promptly did and made sure the miles were immediately redeposited in my account so I could book KUL - DOH as soon as the call ended.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Just a data point. Booked CPH-DOH-HKG later this week. Travel agent booking (who were useless) so waited until 96 hours out when QR take control of the booking. Asked for a reroute to KUL. Was quoted something ludicrous like Ł3k for the change. Said I'd been told otherwise in writing by QR (see copied DM below) and asked him to check with a supervisor. He did and then came back and agreed to process the change free of charge.

QR were very difficult to pin down on this. You basically had to back them into corners and force them to give concrete answers to questions. Eventually, I got the following from them:

"Rerouting to one of these airports BKK'CGK/CNX/DAD/DPS/HAN/HKG/HKT/ICN/KBV/KUL/LGK/PEN/PNH/RGN/SGN/SIN. Provided there is no regulatory restriction by local authorities. This policy applies only to passengers travelling until 29 Feb"
plunet likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: BA silver, Accor platinum, HH silver, M&M
"Rerouting to one of these airports BKK'CGK/CNX/DAD/DPS/HAN/HKG/HKT/ICN/KBV/KUL/LGK/PEN/PNH/RGN/SGN/SIN. Provided there is no regulatory restriction by local authorities. This policy applies only to passengers travelling until 29 Feb"[/QUOTE]

Only valid for flight to china and HKG ?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by David buick
"Rerouting to one of these airports BKK'CGK/CNX/DAD/DPS/HAN/HKG/HKT/ICN/KBV/KUL/LGK/PEN/PNH/RGN/SGN/SIN. Provided there is no regulatory restriction by local authorities. This policy applies only to passengers travelling until 29 Feb"
Only valid for flight to china and HKG ?[/QUOTE]
I would assume so. I haven’t seen any airline offer a policy for anywhere else yet.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
So this seems like I'm going to get the same answer as the Vietnam question above, but just in case....

I'm booked on a Business Promo fare to Singapore for a major international conference in April. That conference was just cancelled (12,000 delegates expected!) due to coronavirus over the weekend.

Seems there is no way to get a refund unless flights to SIN are cancelled, which seems very unlikely?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: Privilege Club - Platinum
Originally Posted by RobDBA
So this seems like I'm going to get the same answer as the Vietnam question above, but just in case....

I'm booked on a Business Promo fare to Singapore for a major international conference in April. That conference was just cancelled (12,000 delegates expected!) due to coronavirus over the weekend.

Seems there is no way to get a refund unless flights to SIN are cancelled, which seems very unlikely?
Probably unlikely since Singapore has 77 cases of which 24 have now fully recovered. The reason it has so many cases is because it probably has the most wide-ranging testing and identification policy.. I have a flight to Singapore in early March and don't plan on cancelling at this point
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by Alchemist007
Probably unlikely since Singapore has 77 cases of which 24 have now fully recovered. The reason it has so many cases is because it probably has the most wide-ranging testing and identification policy.. I have a flight to Singapore in early March and don't plan on cancelling at this point
Absolutely, if I can't cancel I may make use of the flights anyway, I think cancelling is ridiculous. Unfortunately this conference was in the free cancellation period and delegates were cancelling at a rate that made it untenable so they've cancelled and will be doing it later in the year in some dull American location instead
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by dlam1
Have you had any luck getting the refund? I just called to cancel my ARN-HKG flights on March 10 and they refused as the internal guidelines state travel until Feb 29.
Sorry, I missed this. I called 3 times, got nowhere, and wasted 4 hours. How I've taken BA's customer service reps for advantage over the years. So, in the end, I've decided to take both trips and turn them into working holidays. I'm not too concerned about traveling to HK, at least as things currently stand.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
Sorry, I missed this. I called 3 times, got nowhere, and wasted 4 hours. How I've taken BA's customer service reps for advantage over the years. So, in the end, I've decided to take both trips and turn them into working holidays. I'm not too concerned about traveling to HK, at least as things currently stand.
They originally included HKG in their cancellation policy published online, but have now removed it. They honoured my full refund as I had screenshots showing the advice included HKG at the time I put through the refund request - but I'd imagine now they'll want to charge a penalty for HKG.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hi. I have a holiday booked to El Nido in the Philippines. My original itinerary was ARN-HKG on the 23rd March, stay in Hong Kong for three nights and then fly to Manila on the 27th March. My Cebu Pacific flight from Hong Kong to Manila has already been cancelled. I re-booked Cathay Pacific using my BAEC Avios points but have now seen that the Philippine authorities are not allowing passengers to enter from Hong Kong even if they have just been in transit up until the 28th March at the earliest.
Do you think Qatar would re-route me directly to Manila and back so that I can avoid Hong Kong. Thanks for any advice you can give.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by heb999
Do you think Qatar would re-route me directly to Manila and back so that I can avoid Hong Kong. Thanks for any advice you can give.
As by the above stated policy no.

Rebook to:
BKK/CGK/CNX/DAD/DPS/HAN/HKG/HKT/ICN/KBV/KUL/LGK/PEN/PNH/RGN/SGN/SIN
Could probably try to get to BKK,SIN or KUL and then continue to the Philippines...
Tofino87 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: QR Plat
<deleted, wrong thread, user errör>

Last edited by ph-ndr; Feb 19, 2020 at 8:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.