Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Flights to China / Coronavirus / Travel Waivers

Old Dec 2, 19, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Hi all,

I will be flying to JNB soon from LHR and will connect in DOH.
I wanted to bring a few home baked cakes with me (Christmas biscuits and cakes) that will be packed in a plastic containers.

As i will have to clear security again in DOH, is there anything preventing me to travel with cakes and go through security?
Thanks
Old Dec 2, 19, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC, Accor
I would suggest your main peril will be hungry security officers. Seriously, I don't see a problem with this provided it has normal ingredients and no alcohol or pork.
Bastien003 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 19, 12:06 pm

Programs: Baec
Originally Posted by Bastien003 View Post
Hi all,

I will be flying to JNB soon from LHR and will connect in DOH.
I wanted to bring a few home baked cakes with me (Christmas biscuits and cakes) that will be packed in a plastic containers.

As i will have to clear security again in DOH, is there anything preventing me to travel with cakes and go through security?
Thanks
Do not have some copper leads and a mobile phone placed on top of your Christmas cake. I caused quite a lot of fuss at Manchester airport a few years ago with this. Apparently this looks extremely like a bomb
Old Dec 2, 19, 3:21 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by thinkingallowed View Post
Do not have some copper leads and a mobile phone placed on top of your Christmas cake. I caused quite a lot of fuss at Manchester airport a few years ago with this. Apparently this looks extremely like a bomb
MAN airport security is a breeze during the winter months but a shambles during the summer months, with summer break for schools and many additional seasonal flights.
Old Jan 28, 20, 9:31 am

Programs: HAL Platinum, JetBlue, KrisFlyer, NWA, USAirways, Alaska Air, who knows what levels? Changes daily
Originally Posted by thinkingallowed View Post
LOL - I had a similar experience flying home to Hawaii after a week in Arizona. As you know, we Hawaii people love our Omiyagi (the gifts we are sort of expected to bring home to friends after trips.) Of course I had to make a Trader Joe's run for all my TJ-less friends in Honolulu. Being a good friend, I had first packed a suitcase filled with Hawaii goodies for my AZ friends, so I had a nearly empty suitcase for the return flight. What a great chance to fill up at TJ's!

One of my friends was a huge fan of those giant chocolate bars. Another one wanted a special nut filled granola. So I filled my suitcase with granola, other cereals, small jars of jam, and then lined the sides with the chocolate so it wouldn't get broken in flight. Think about all that for a second.... I found myself surrounded by TSA and armed police demanding I open the bag. Because we were still early into the whole TSA thing, I just started to laugh. They were not amused. Fortunately, I'm a frequent flyer between these two airports and knew a couple of the TSA agents, one of whom was from Hawaii. I just opened it up and said, "This is all omiyagi for my Hawaii peeps! No harm, no foul!" They took pictures, pawed through it all and just shook their heads.

So - jam looks like some sort of napalm device, cereal and granola looks like something you'd put in a bomb to scatter with the chocolate- that looked like C4 explosives! Who knew?! Keep that in mind when you pack and always be prepared to open the suitcase...

Learned my lesson. Mail the stuff!!
Old Jan 28, 20, 2:47 pm

Travel waiver - China travel waivers?

Hi all, just wondered if anybody knows if QR are offering waivers/cancellations and refunds on China itineraries please?

I have a trip booked to HKG for the first 2 weeks of May.

Not to sound hysterical, but the world being what it is and how easy travel is, I do have some concerns about how effective containment of this virus may be.

A lot of other airlines seem to either be offering waivers at this point to either the end of February or (in some cases) into March.

Whilst May (the month) may seem extreme at this point - is anyone aware of current waivers in place please?! My assumption is that if the situation doesnít improve then this may be extended to cover my itinerary.
mkm4 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 20, 3:37 pm

https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...avel-Advisory- - No
Old Jan 28, 20, 8:03 pm

You are flying to... HKG. 8 official cases so far.
You are flying in... May.

There is really no reason for Qatar Airways to offer anything at this stage. If they do, they will start with China mainland - this is what Air France / British Airways do from what I have seen.

I am currently in a small town in China and have a QR flight out of Beijing in 10ish days. I am more concerned on how to get to Beijing (buses are suspended) than flying out.
Old Jan 29, 20, 12:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
Hmmm, I'm supposed to be going to Zhejiang province for a few days at the end of February. One of the suppliers who I was planning to visit has just advised me that moving around the province is now quite difficult, with many roads currently closed.

As it's still about 25 days before I'm due to fly in to Hangzhou from Vietnam there's still lots of time for the situation to become clearer; however in the event that the Foreign Office advisory is still in force, and that travel around Zhejiang is still restricted (I'm due to visit Taizhou and Xianju as well as Hangzhou) I will need to change my return flight with Qatar from Hangzhou departure to Vietnam or Thailand departure. (My inbound flight with Qatar is to Chiang Mai)

Does anyone have any idea how likely Qatar are to accommodate this? And in the event that they don't play ball, can I charge additional/wasted costs to my travel insurance, as all flights and hotels were booked months ago?
Old Jan 29, 20, 6:14 am

With agencies around the world issuing negative travel advisories for Mainland China, I do think QR is being unreasonable in not offering some kind of waiver.

It would be nice if they offered one for HKG for the sake of a planned upcoming trip I have booked, but if they arenít offering one for mainland Iím not exactly going to get my hopes up. If I decide to abandon my ticket (which Iím 50-50 on), then I will bear in mind for future reference not to expect any leniency from them... which may impact my choice of airline in future.
Old Jan 29, 20, 11:20 am

I have a flight booked on March 4 from HK back to the U.S. I contacted the airline yesterday to see if there were any rebooking waivers in place in case I wanted to return earlier. I was told there was a waiver is place but it only went through Feb. 29. As I was only looking to rebook for two days earlier, I will wait to see how things play out.
Old Jan 29, 20, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mystictraveler View Post
I have a flight booked on March 4 from HK back to the U.S. I contacted the airline yesterday to see if there were any rebooking waivers in place in case I wanted to return earlier. I was told there was a waiver is place but it only went through Feb. 29. As I was only looking to rebook for two days earlier, I will wait to see how things play out.
Hum. That's interesting. I may give them a call then as my flight (PEK-DOH) is on Feb 9th.

I wouldn't mind staying longer but my 30 days visa is going to expire. Not sure how it will work in such a situation.
Old Jan 30, 20, 4:49 am

I see there is a waiver policy explained on the website. I'm thinking of moving my HK departure a day ahead. Anyone knows if this applies for this waiver and if the waiver rebooking works online or if I have to call them?
Old Jan 30, 20, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by mucaari View Post
I see there is a waiver policy explained on the website.
Where?
Old Jan 30, 20, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by mucaari View Post
I see there is a waiver policy explained on the website. I'm thinking of moving my HK departure a day ahead. Anyone knows if this applies for this waiver and if the waiver rebooking works online or if I have to call them?
According to their travel alerts, there are no travel waivers for flights to/from China (which includes Hong Kong).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: