Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR Airspace

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by airsurfer
This is a looooong detour. Why not flying via LAX or SYD ? And safer as well, you avoid the middle east .
Yes, it is the long way around. FlyerTalkers do mileage runs all the time. Nearly every day I hear of someone doing a crazy routing!
QR actually had a decent business class fare, far less than any other airline. But only to ADL. I'll be flying on Qantas shortly after I arrive there. I'm still a bit leery, but the more I follow the flights on flightaware and know that they are safely operating, the better I feel. So long as the weather cooperates, I plan to take some pictures out the windows (I assume there is an inflight map so we'll know where we're at?)

Years ago (when I was in the US Army), I flew SEL-BKK-SYD for leave/vacation, on Thai. At the time, US citizens couldn't visit Vietnam, and I had to get special permission to even fly over the country. I took some pictures of the country and I remember seeing beautiful beaches and lush jungles. Thankfully nothing happened to that aircraft, and I hope the flights between DFW and DOH fare similarly.

I followed the DFW-DOH flight again today. They seem to be avoiding Iran; after the flight crossed Turkey it stayed over Iraq all the way to the Persian Gulf:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...340Z/KDFW/OTHH

Although the flight left DFW late (I'm not sure why, I don't believe there was weather), it still arrived at DOH 2 minutes early.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:55 pm

Look at QR729 the opposite way. Goes over Iran. Same for LAX flights 739/740 and ORD 721/722 that I quickly glanced at.

Originally Posted by aztimm
Yes, it is the long way around. FlyerTalkers do mileage runs all the time. Nearly every day I hear of someone doing a crazy routing!
QR actually had a decent business class fare, far less than any other airline. But only to ADL. I'll be flying on Qantas shortly after I arrive there. I'm still a bit leery, but the more I follow the flights on flightaware and know that they are safely operating, the better I feel. So long as the weather cooperates, I plan to take some pictures out the windows (I assume there is an inflight map so we'll know where we're at?)

Years ago (when I was in the US Army), I flew SEL-BKK-SYD for leave/vacation, on Thai. At the time, US citizens couldn't visit Vietnam, and I had to get special permission to even fly over the country. I took some pictures of the country and I remember seeing beautiful beaches and lush jungles. Thankfully nothing happened to that aircraft, and I hope the flights between DFW and DOH fare similarly.

I followed the DFW-DOH flight again today. They seem to be avoiding Iran; after the flight crossed Turkey it stayed over Iraq all the way to the Persian Gulf:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...340Z/KDFW/OTHH

Although the flight left DFW late (I'm not sure why, I don't believe there was weather), it still arrived at DOH 2 minutes early.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Luca Suomi
EU officially banned Iranian airspace for EU Airlines until further decision, banned all flights to Iran and also invited to possibly avoid Iraqi airspace.

Iranian airspace is clearly not safe, the mistake was not just to shoot down a place but to don't close the civilian airspace while missiles were shot in the air. When you have to decide something in few seconds you can do mistakes, but keeping the airspace open while there was a war it's unforgivable and clearly indicated that Iran airspace is controlled by idiots.

QR is forced to fly in this damn airspace, I am sorry for them but I won't fly Qatar until they will find alternatives, I don't trust anymore Iranian airspace, they clearly cannot be trusted anymore.
Don't think that now Iraqi airspace is safer. If you are concerned about your safety you must skip both. Anyway at the moment risk is still minimal..How situation will develop we don't know yet.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

I think for the meantime the major risk is over.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
State department has to mediate some sort of concessions to open up the blockade. Too many American lives potentially at risk flying on QR given the number of O/D USA-DOH flights funneled through either Iraqi or Iranian airspace.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by ocprodigy
The hysteria in here is quite interesting. People believe Iran are going to make another mistake that will lead to another civilian plane being shot down? This was unfortunately due to one flying low (climbing) that someone has made a grave error with, do people genuinely believe one flying above 30,000 ft is going to be mistaken for a military aircraft and therefore shot down?

Sure if Iran genuinely want to cause WW3 and incur the wrath of most foreign nations then sure they'll go ahead with that, otherwise there's practically zero chance of them shooting down a plane which is at cruising altitude. Performing landings / take-offs are where the (extremely low) risk is, and they'll be very keen to avoid repetition of that event.
I think it’s a perfectly rational concern. If almost every major carrier and governing bodies have made the decision not to fly over the airspace, it’s not unreasonable for people to want to avoid said airspace. Rationalize it all you want, but if there are other options, I’m not sure why it’s so hard to understand people wanting to cancel their QR flights. I don’t think it’s hysteria at all. I can’t believe a commercial flight could even be mistaken for a missile. Mind boggling
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:35 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
A number of posts have been removed as they had no relevance to QR.

Should posters continue to post off-topic, regrettably this thread will have to be Closed, which would be unhelpful to those who require relevant information.

QR Moderator Team
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:41 am

FYI, I've been keeping an eye on QR763 (DOH to YUL), as I will be taking this flight later in Feb, and as of Jan 29, they are again flying over Iran and not Iraq as they have been recently doing.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...510Z/OTHH/CYUL

Did a quick search of other flights originating out of the USA and it appears that those flights are still flying over Iraq, however I see that flights out of Nth Europe (ARN) are also flying over Iran again.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:53 am

Looks like other airlines have also determined that it is now safe to resume flights over Iran.

https://financialtribune.com/article...anian-airspace
Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:08 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by xychromosome
FYI, I've been keeping an eye on QR763 (DOH to YUL), as I will be taking this flight later in Feb, and as of Jan 29, they are again flying over Iran and not Iraq as they have been recently doing.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...510Z/OTHH/CYUL

Did a quick search of other flights originating out of the USA and it appears that those flights are still flying over Iraq, however I see that flights out of Nth Europe (ARN) are also flying over Iran again.
If you are truly losing sleep over the fact that your flight may overfly Iran/Iraq then why not just cancel and book on another carrier? Flight plans will be determined very close to departure so unless you think you can convince the pilot/ATC to offer an alternate routing on the day of travel...
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:14 am

Was just posting an update re the change of flight routes given previous discussion in this thread. Not losing sleep

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.