Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR Airspace

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2020, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by dwugson
Were I booking my current trip would definitely go the 'long' way round the world to South Africa - unfortunately am in the middle of a trip and pretty well committed to my flight over Iraq and Iran to New York. At least we now know what happened and can only hope that the risk of a repeat is now minimal. Can't say I feel comfortable though.
To be honest, I am only going to book my trip to JNB from PEK with QR, because I believe shooting down a plane at 30000 feet is more "difficult" and "unlikely" for the Iranians than at 8000 feet.
Small difference maybe though.
They're the cheapest J option currently....I wonder why:
"Fly Qatar: we fly over Iran with only a small probability of getting shot down!"
🤔
Old Jan 11, 2020, 6:16 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by narvik
To be honest, I am only going to book my trip to JNB from PEK with QR, because I believe shooting down a plane at 30000 feet is more "difficult" and "unlikely" for the Iranians than at 8000 feet.
Small difference maybe though.
They're the cheapest J option currently....I wonder why:
"Fly Qatar: we fly over Iran with only a small probability of getting shot down!"
🤔
Then pay more and book a different airline.

As has been stated, EK (amongst others) are also still flying over Iran.

M
Old Jan 11, 2020, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by fender5787
May I ask what dates were you using to find $2200 cx jfk-kul fares? I’m doing the same routing as your original (jfk-doh-kul and paid the same via Amex iap) and leaving in a few days and while I did find some jfk-kul fares on AA for $2200, they were on JL and involved a 19hr layover in Tokyo. I don’t think I’m gonna switch flights, but regardless, 2.2k is a steal for that route on CX metal.
It was for departing JFK January 10 and on KUL side departing on January 26. I did not find the same fare when I searched directly on AA, they only showed the JAL flights too. Part of me wonders if it was a “mistake” fare but seems to be working so far (just landed in HKG). Good luck!
fender5787 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by loopforever
Thank you so much for sharing this. I had the same exact itinerary actually...checked Amex Travel and sure enough...$2200 a ticket. Couldn't believe it. Booked it, called and reserved my seats already.

Waiting another week or so to see if any political events cause QR to have to cancel flights...which would save me $2200 in cancellation fees. Otherwise I'll just cancel prior to 24 hours out.
Glad to help! So I was convinced that my ticket was non refundable and had a really high change fee because it was super cheap for a QR long haul flight but the Amex travel lady told me it was $465 cancellation fee. I can’t imagine your fare class was any more restricted than mine. It hasn’t credited yet so I guess there’s still a chance she could be wrong but she was definitely looking at her screen and quoting it all for me.

Last edited by suziemay; Jan 11, 2020 at 6:53 am
Old Jan 11, 2020, 6:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I was up early today, so was watching what I'll be flying on Tuesday, land today rather successfully at DOH:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...340Z/KDFW/OTHH

It was a little late leaving DFW; I suspect due to some weather at DFW (I live near Austin and we had it down here too).

For those who say they shouldn't fly over Iran/Iraq...what other options are there? They can't fly over Saudi Arabia, and I believe Egypt.
Years ago, I talked to someone who flew to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The US military flights couldn't fly over Cuban airspace, which meant it was a rather long way around. I couldn't imagine the extra time it would take to go around so many of the countries on the way to Qatar. Would pretty much limit the only way in/out of DOH to the Persian Gulf-->Indian Ocean.

I guess everyone has to do what they feel comfortable with. When I booked my trip back in August, I had considered Cathay...but the protests in Hong Kong were disrupting things at HKG. You really have to pick/choose, sometimes taking the least-worst option.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

never mind
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:08 am

May I ask what dates were you using to find $2200 cx jfk-kul fares? I’m doing the same routing as your original (jfk-doh-kul and paid the same via Amex iap) and leaving in a few days and while I did find some jfk-kul fares on AA for $2200, they were on JL and involved a 19hr layover in Tokyo. I don’t think I’m gonna switch flights, but regardless, 2.2k is a steal for that route on CX metal.
I was poking around, the magic number may be 2, as in making the booking 2 days before you fly. I made my AA reservation on Cathay metal through Amex Platinum January 8 evening for the January 10 departure. When I checked the next morning out of curiosity, the $2,200 fare was no longer there. I just now looked for flights departing January 13, lo and behold, it pops up again. It’s not even labeled as the International Airline program so maybe you don’t even need to be a Platinum Card holder to access.

I’m sure waiting until 2 days out for a fare that may or may not be available isn’t a good solution but wanted to let you know in case it’s helps!
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by suziemay
I was poking around, the magic number may be 2, as in making the booking 2 days before you fly. I made my AA reservation on Cathay metal through Amex Platinum January 8 evening for the January 10 departure. When I checked the next morning out of curiosity, the $2,200 fare was no longer there. I just now looked for flights departing January 13, lo and behold, it pops up again. It’s not even labeled as the International Airline program so maybe you don’t even need to be a Platinum Card holder to access.

I’m sure waiting until 2 days out for a fare that may or may not be available isn’t a good solution but wanted to let you know in case it’s helps!
Yup, you’re right! I see it too! And the 13th is my actual day I was planing on flying anyway. Ughhh this puts me in quite the bind since I’d probs come out ahead even with changing fees and have the peace of mind of not flying over a conflict zone...buuuuuut I really really do enjoy QR J way more than CX J, especially since as of now all 4 of my segments are in Qsuites....(this is the ultimate first world problem, I know lol)
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
I'm flying DFW-DOH-ADL next week. If the flights are going, then I'll be on them.

I can't say that I won't be a little worried, especially in the last/first ~2 hours, but heck I was in the Army when I was younger, looked over the DMZ into North Korea from several vantage points and survived. QR must have about 30 flights a day between the US and DOH, and I have yet to hear of an issue with any of them.
This is a looooong detour. Why not flying via LAX or SYD ? And safer as well, you avoid the middle east .
Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:00 pm

Yup, you’re right! I see it too! And the 13th is my actual day I was planing on flying anyway. Ughhh this puts me in quite the bind since I’d probs come out ahead even with changing fees and have the peace of mind of not flying over a conflict zone...buuuuuut I really really do enjoy QR J way more than CX J, especially since as of now all 4 of my segments are in Qsuites....(this is the ultimate first world problem, I know lol)
Go with your gut and then just move forward and don’t second guess yourself. I felt a wave of relief when I booked myself on CX but I didn’t lose any money either so maybe they helped. I haven’t flown QSuites before and was also scheduled on QSuites on all four segments Good luck with your decision!
fender5787 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:35 pm

Programs: qatar
EU officially banned Iranian airspace for EU Airlines until further decision, banned all flights to Iran and also invited to possibly avoid Iraqi airspace.

Iranian airspace is clearly not safe, the mistake was not just to shoot down a place but to don't close the civilian airspace while missiles were shot in the air. When you have to decide something in few seconds you can do mistakes, but keeping the airspace open while there was a war it's unforgivable and clearly indicated that Iran airspace is controlled by idiots.

QR is forced to fly in this damn airspace, I am sorry for them but I won't fly Qatar until they will find alternatives, I don't trust anymore Iranian airspace, they clearly cannot be trusted anymore.
mkm4 and joeluk like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 7:02 am

I have a GRU-DOH-PEK booked for May. All Qsuites. I am very concerned about the routings for these flights and if this situation continues, I will cancel my booking.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Luca Suomi
EU officially banned Iranian airspace for EU Airlines until further decision, banned all flights to Iran and also invited to possibly avoid Iraqi airspace.

Iranian airspace is clearly not safe, the mistake was not just to shoot down a place but to don't close the civilian airspace while missiles were shot in the air. When you have to decide something in few seconds you can do mistakes, but keeping the airspace open while there was a war it's unforgivable and clearly indicated that Iran airspace is controlled by idiots.

QR is forced to fly in this damn airspace, I am sorry for them but I won't fly Qatar until they will find alternatives, I don't trust anymore Iranian airspace, they clearly cannot be trusted anymore.
I agree and also disagree a bit with your sentiments. Iran absolutely should’ve closed down airspace as the strikes were being conducted (at least close down airspace to any flights leaving Iran). However, currently with the protests and reactions of the Iranian people to the govts handling of the Ukraine air downing, the Iranian govt and military are going to be that much more careful to make sure something like this doesn’t happen over *their* territory. Now, how their proxies in Iraq and other places act, that’s another story. So frankly, at this point, I wouldn’t be thaaaaat concerned with flying over Iranian airspace for fear of being hit by an Iranian missile. With that said, your choice to fly QR is up to you and if you are anxious flying over Iranian or Iraqi airspace, don’t do it. Anxiety sucks, especially on a long haul flight where one should be enjoying oneself, so one should really do whatever one is comfortable with. No shame in that!
Old Jan 12, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: qatar
I agree and also disagree a bit with your sentiments. Iran absolutely should’ve closed down airspace as the strikes were being conducted (at least close down airspace to any flights leaving Iran). However, currently with the protests and reactions of the Iranian people to the govts handling of the Ukraine air downing, the Iranian govt and military are going to be that much more careful to make sure something like this doesn’t happen over *their* territory. Now, how their proxies in Iraq and other places act, that’s another story. So frankly, at this point, I wouldn’t be thaaaaat concerned with flying over Iranian airspace for fear of being hit by an Iranian missile. With that said, your choice to fly QR is up to you and if you are anxious flying over Iranian or Iraqi airspace, don’t do it. Anxiety sucks, especially on a long haul flight where one should be enjoying oneself, so one should really do whatever one is comfortable with. No shame in that!
It's not a matter of anxiety but opportunity, if I can avoid Iranian airspace it's better, after what they did I won't put my life in their hands, they lost my trust, and furthermore Easa (EU) and FAA (US) banned the Iranian airspace for their airlines, so if our regulators declared this area unsafe I won't risk my life.

I hope Iata will fix the airspace situation with QR because t's illegal the airspace blockade from Qatari neighbors, but from my side as a customer I have to think to my life and to the indications coming from my country, where Iranian airspace has been declared unsafe.

Last edited by msm2000uk; Jan 12, 2020 at 10:23 am Reason: To prevent OMNI
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:01 am

I have IAD-DOH-MLE booked and MLE-DOH-SYD on hold. Will probably cancel the MLE-DOH-SYD as MLE-AUH-SYD looks safer.

Still on the fence about cancelling IAD-DOH-MLE as it looks like QR flights to/from the US are avoiding Iran and flying through Iraq now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.