Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Alternatives to the QR J breakfast monotony

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2019, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

For those that tire a little of the QR breakfast choices of Arabic breakfast, egg and chicken sausage or porridge I decided to order a special meal for a flight this morning with very good results.

I ordered a hindu special meal and it was essentially curried chickpeas with potato and a paratha filled with lamb. Was delicious.

Old Oct 6, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Schwann
For those that tire a little of the QR breakfast choices of Arabic breakfast, egg and chicken sausage or porridge I decided to order a special meal for a flight this morning with very good results.

I ordered a hindu special meal and it was essentially curried chickpeas with potato and a paratha filled with lamb. Was delicious.

Interesting, thank you!

When did you fly? I'm flying out of MAN soon & might give that a go if it's still current.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
The one thing I dislike about QR is their omelettes
Schwann likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 5:31 pm

Lamb in a Hindu meal?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Good suggestion. So you pre-order it and then tell the FA that you want it as breakfast, correct?
Will try the same later!
Old Oct 6, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by Aston100
Lamb in a Hindu meal?
Maybe it was a Beyond Lamb?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
That looks so much better...
I've taken to just having the yogurt and granola and bread. Would be nice to have a substantial meal for those flights where breakfast is the "main" set of options.
Schwann likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 11:37 pm

Lamb in a Hindu meal?
Non-Vegetarian Hindu Meal (HNML) - This meal is prepared according to the requirements of the Hindu religion. This meal is non-vegetarian and prepared in an Indian style and mildly spiced . It may contain: Lamb, chicken, fish, eggs, milk and dairy products. Does not contain: Beef, veal, beef sauces, and beef extracts.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 3:22 am

Is mononity a real word?
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by impeymac
Interesting, thank you!

When did you fly? I'm flying out of MAN soon & might give that a go if it's still current.
This was ex-DOH yesterday so no idea if it would be tbe same.

Originally Posted by quinzinho
Good suggestion. So you pre-order it and then tell the FA that you want it as breakfast, correct?
Will try the same later!
The special meal also came with a starter, fruit etc. The FA let me choose what aspects of it I had. I also had things from the regular menu.

Originally Posted by ft101
Is mononity a real word?
Excellent point.
nancypants and quinzinho like this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:09 am

Lamb in a Hindu meal?
Originally Posted by mr_botak
Non-Vegetarian Hindu Meal (HNML) - This meal is prepared according to the requirements of the Hindu religion. This meal is non-vegetarian and prepared in an Indian style and mildly spiced . It may contain: Lamb, chicken, fish, eggs, milk and dairy products. Does not contain: Beef, veal, beef sauces, and beef extracts.
As mr_botak has referenced, not all Hindus are vegetarian - not even a majority may be vegetarian.

A good read:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-43581122
If you go by three large-scale government surveys, 23%-37% of Indians are estimated to be vegetarian. {Note: India is ~80% Hindu per official statistics.} By itself this is nothing remarkably revelatory.

But new research...

Taking all this into account, say the researchers, only about 20% of Indians are actually vegetarian - much lower than common claims and stereotypes suggest.
Schwann likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I'm a creature of habit, so once I find something I like, I'm perfectly happy to have it repeatedly. Right now, I'm pretty well sold on the Al Safwa French toast washed down with LGD. Seriously, though, there's generally more variety in AM and AS than onboard; though IMO the onboard food is of a higher quality.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm a creature of habit, so once I find something I like, I'm perfectly happy to have it repeatedly. Right now, I'm pretty well sold on the Al Safwa French toast washed down with LGD. Seriously, though, there's generally more variety in AM and AS than onboard; though IMO the onboard food is of a higher quality.
And for the majority of passengers departing from an outstation, on a short layover or who don’t want to pay $150 for some French Toast?

I’m not sure Al Mourjan is any more varied than onboard, it’s the same poor quality breakfast buffet every time. In any case, as a self-confessed ‘creature of habit’ I’m not sure you fully empathise .
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: Baec
I like this idea especially when flying East and you don't want to eat late and end up having breakfast at 5pm local time

So you can order a special meal for one leg? I've always been afraid that ordering one would automatically trigger a similar meal for all flights on a ticket.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thinkingallowed
I like this idea especially when flying East and you don't want to eat late and end up having breakfast at 5pm local time

So you can order a special meal for one leg? I've always been afraid that ordering one would automatically trigger a similar meal for all flights on a ticket.
Yes, that is fine. The QR website will allow you to select each leg separately.
thinkingallowed likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.