Wiki Posts
Search

Making changes on a promo fare

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR Gold/OW Sapphire
Making changes on a promo fare

I received a new offer - Save up to 50% and earn double Qpoints... but I have to purchase by Sept 5.

I know generally when I will be traveling in early 2020, but not exact dates. If it wouldn't invalidate my double Qpoints, I'm ok with booking tickets now and eating the change fee this will incur if/when I have to do this. Obviously I don't want to book if I'll lose the promo with a date change.

Does anyone know what happens if you change the booking (date only) on these offers?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: BAEC
My understanding is that changes before you fly you will pay the change fee and any fare difference in either the fare bucket you were booked in, or the cheapest available fare bucket that is currently available at current prices. Changes after you fly are based in theory upon historic pricing at the time of your booking but for most people they won't know what the historic fares were unless you have an EF subscription.

Either option is usually expensive on non-flex tickets, but changes after you fly are usually less shocking.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by plunet
My understanding is that changes before you fly you will pay the change fee and any fare difference in either the fare bucket you were booked in, or the cheapest available fare bucket that is currently available at current prices.
That's my understanding. Think of changing a ticket as refunding the old one and buying a new one at the best available price when you buy it. Essentially, you get a credit against the new ticket in the amount of the old ticket less any change fees. Sometimes it can be done as a simple date change, assuming that the flight numbers, times, fare class, and everything else are all the same.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plunet
My understanding is that changes before you fly you will pay the change fee and any fare difference in either the fare bucket you were booked in, or the cheapest available fare bucket that is currently available at current prices. Changes after you fly are based in theory upon historic pricing at the time of your booking but for most people they won't know what the historic fares were unless you have an EF subscription.

Either option is usually expensive on non-flex tickets, but changes after you fly are usually less shocking.
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
That's my understanding. Think of changing a ticket as refunding the old one and buying a new one at the best available price when you buy it. Essentially, you get a credit against the new ticket in the amount of the old ticket less any change fees. Sometimes it can be done as a simple date change, assuming that the flight numbers, times, fare class, and everything else are all the same.
So... would that then cancel out my double Qpoints from my booking between now and Sept 5? I'm willing to pay the fee to change if/when that is necessary, but I obviously don't want to lose my double Qpoints.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by indomie
So... would that then cancel out my double Qpoints from my booking between now and Sept 5? I'm willing to pay the fee to change if/when that is necessary, but I obviously don't want to lose my double Qpoints.
Knowing the state of QRs IT, the date of purchase will get changed and the ticket will be invalidated for the promo. However this is a likely guess, not based on experience.

If you want to buy a restricted ticket, it is really advisable to be certain of the dates/times you will travel otherwise you will end up paying something that might be dissimilar to the flex ticket price after the change fees and random price increase you may suffer. I know that isn't the case for you. But it really is the reality of the situation.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:49 pm

I had a similar experience recently. I had booked a ticket as a part of the Double Qmiles, Double Qpoints promotion in January. I needed to change the booking and called the Privilege Club priority number. They checked the original promotion, promo conditions and ticket conditions and confirmed that if the new dates fall within the original promotion dates then it will still apply.

One note of caution, though, is that most tickets allow to to change the date to later than the booked departure date, but not earlier than. That means you would want to book the ticket for as early in the year as you think you may travel and then change it for later dates when you know what your plans are.

If you want to hear it from the horses mouth I'd suggest calling QRPC. While not perfect, their customer service is a whole lot better than it was just a few months ago.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by davidjcampbell83
They checked the original promotion, promo conditions and ticket conditions and confirmed that if the new dates fall within the original promotion dates then it will still apply.
Have you actually flown the journey now and did it automatically work out as promised?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Have you actually flown the journey now and did it automatically work out as promised?
No, I haven't flown yet so I can't confirm one way or another. I can report back but it won't be until after the OP needs to book their tickets. They might need to take a leap of faith.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davidjcampbell83
No, I haven't flown yet so I can't confirm one way or another. I can report back but it won't be until after the OP needs to book their tickets. They might need to take a leap of faith.
I love QR, but I'm no fool and definitely not taking a leap of faith with them... I'm waiting to hear back from my email to the China QR team (who are great).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.