Wiki Posts
Search

> 20 hour delay help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
> 20 hour delay help

I am due to be travelling in J on QR 164 (CPH - DOH) and QR 816 (DOH - HKG) this evening and had a connection time of 1hr 45 mins. Unfortunately QR164 is now showing a delayed departure time of 2 hours 5 minutes so it seems unlikely that we will be making our connection. The next scheduled QR flight (818) to HKG would be 20 hours or so later. I haven't been in this situation before so any help with the following questions would be much appreciated.

1. I have not re-booked yet as the phone agent could not confirm the reason for the delay or the likelihood of making our original flights. The airport should have more updated information, but it seems they will want to re-book us onto the next service. Is there any chance of keeping our current itinerary in case we land in DOH with enough time to make the flight? Or is it more sensible to simply accept that we will need to be rebooked?

2. Assuming we have to rebook, will we be able to choose between 818 / 816? There is only a 4 hour arrival difference, however the later flight (816) is currently showing as Q Suite so this would be our preference i.e. rebook to a schedule that is a full 24 hour delay.

3. We don't have transit visas or anything similar for Doha. I assume QR will put us up in a hotel - any idea which they use or one we should request? Will we be able to retrieve our bags in Doha if so?

4. I believe this should be eligible for EC261 for 600 PP as it's originating from an EU destination. Would appreciate anyone confirming this or advice on things to bear in mind in the case of any re-bookings e.g. I assume any rebooking would remain under the same PNR but would it be an issue if we ask for the later Q Suite flight vs taking whatever they have automatically booked us onto? As mentioned previously, there doesn't seem to be a QR route that gets us to HKG with less than a 20 hour delay.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:15 pm

4. Possibly covered under EC261, depending on the reason for the delay. Refusing their offer for the Q suite flight might make things messy.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:24 pm

Programs: SPG & Marriott Plat Privilege Club Plat
I see on Flightradar that QR816 departed DOH to HKG at 8.00am this morning.

Interested to know if you made your connection.

Regards,
SF
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
OP..
QR164 arrived 1hr40mins late https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...045Z/EKCH/OTHH
QR816 left on time https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...435Z/OTHH/VHHH
You probably did not make it and you must be in DOH right now.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:20 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I'm a bit late to the party, but my own view would have been to prepare an onward itinerary for QR to book for you - in order to reach HKG.

You could look at DOH-BKK-HKG for example, where there are multiple shuttles between the cities.

If you're firm with QR, and tell the agent what you want, they'll do it.

M
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Just to report back, the connection was never going to happen. QR 163 was late arriving in CPH so once I realised this I spoke to QR again and asked to be rebooked. We didn't fancy adding more legs to the journey as we are travelling with a lot of luggage and the headache of (potentially) lost bags wasn't worth it. Our stay in HK isn't time sensitive either which helps.

The agent I spoke to had planned to rebook us to QR818, but there were no issues with requesting Q Suites, so we are still waiting in DOH now.

Putting the delay aside, which is obviously unfortunate, I must say I'm very impressed with QR once we landed in DOH. Visas, hotels, transfer, vouchers etc were all provided in the arrivals lounge upon landing.

Here's hoping the flight in a few hours goes smoothly and our bags have made it to HKG! I did confirm with check in staff at CPH that this delay is covered by EC261 so hopefully that should be quite straightforward.
msm2000uk and Traveller999 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.