Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

60 Qcredits for attaining Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

60 Qcredits for attaining Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by escape4
I can confirm to you that it's not a common practice. From memory, in 2015-2017 there were lots of promos, sometimes all the way up to 5x miles, but not so much about qpoints. So you should probably not expect that 2 round trips in R will be sufficient in the future to renew OW emerald. Maybe there will be more promos like that again (hopefully so) but I think 2019 promos of doubling Qpoints is the exception not the rule, if we go by historical promos in the last 5 years.
Not sure if it's common practice but last Mar. there was a QSUITES fast track to GOLD/PLAT for travelers based in SIN.

Fast-track to Gold tier when you fly Qsuite
The world’s most technologically advanced passenger aircraft – the A350-1000 - equipped with our luxurious, award-winning Qsuite is now available twice daily to and from Singapore.
Redefine your expectations with a new level of luxury in our new Business Class. Enjoy the privacy of your own personal suite, or work, dine, and share your journey with friends or family in our fully adaptable quad-seating configuration. With more than 4,000 in-flight entertainment options, our award-winning service and a rapidly expanding network, discover Business Class like never before.
Experience the world’s most memorable destinations with an unforgettable journey in the World’s Best Business Class.

To celebrate the introduction of Qsuite, Privilege Club members can earn triple Qpoints in First and Business Class.
Book your ticket from 17 January until 15 March 2019* for travel until 31 May 2019 to get an opportunity to boost Qpoints and upgrade to the next tier.

So by taking one J trip to Europe, you would have qualified for QRPC Gold. I thought that was a pretty awesome promo.

4x & 5x Qmiles
https://www.qatarairways.com/en-my/P...903PC130A.html
Book your paid ticket by 31 March 2019 and travel to more than 160 places that we fly to from now until 31 March 2019 and earn up to 5x Qmiles in Premium Class and 4x Qmiles in Economy Class*.

I guess it's not common but not that rare either. There was a similar promo last Oct./Nov. when I booked my trip to LAX - I think it was 3x or 4x Qmiles then.
It could be region specific as well ...
Old May 2, 2019, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
if QR never has any promos, Gold and Platinum status would not be as easy to attain

however for the past 5 years, they have run promotions making it relatively easy to gain elite status
Old May 3, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by #1son
the big promo many people missed the point of was called Round the World or something similar, where you needed to visit several specific destinations over one calendar year.
it was not the Qpoints or Qcredits that were significant but the tier upgrade.
since getting Platinum from that promotion, I have found it fairly easy to maintain Plat as Qpoints are I believe, 24 month totals
What are tier upgrades? Do you mean Qpoints needed to reach the next tier?
Qcredits are an entirely different thing, it's standard for when you reach Gold/Platinum level.
There may be promos for Qmiles & Qpoints (3X, 4X 5X etc.) but not for Qcredits & Qcredits do not roll over to the next membership year but they do accumulate if you reach the next tier within the current membership year (like mine did - Gold last Nov. & Platinum last month)

Originally Posted by escape4
As you said it's 24 months so sure you can have boat loads of flights in year #1 and more than exceed requirements for Plat.
Then year #2 is very easy to re-qualify, in fact you might not even need a single flight if you did enough in year #1 . But then year #3 you are back to basics.
So it remains incorrect to say that retaining Plat long term is "easy" because you still need to rely on promotions which may or may not come.
I was under the impression that membership tiers are for valid for 1 year from when you reach the tier. Is it 24 months to retain / re-qualify?

Any airline FFP status is "easy" to maintain or qualify if you fly in premium classes often enough, & if you don't then the airline doesn't really want your business.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:21 am

once you manage to spend your Qcredits, QR will treat you like crap because you are now holding an upgraded ticket
surely many people have made this complaint before me about not being allowed access to Al Mourjan and getting shunted off to the inferior 1st Class lounge
it is OK, the world economy is decelerating and QR will get theirs
I will fly QR metal just enough to keep my status and then I will fly whatever airline I get the best / cheapest J class on
how is it Cathay gives me access to The Wing Lounge holding their cheapest Economy ticket as OW Emerald and QR stiffs me?
I personally don't have any issues with not having access to AM if I'm on an upgraded ticket (which I will be later this month)
As it is, the AM lounge is packed during the morning & late night peak hours - sure they can let all J pax into the lounge then the next thread you see on FT is -
AM is the WORST / over crowded lounge with long lines for the showers etc.

Why do you want to keep/attain QRPC Platinum if you are already traveling in (paid) J class?
It seems like you aren't very happy with their membership rules & benefits.
You are free to choose from the other airlines' FFP but I've read that it's even more difficult to teach elite tiers on CX/AM MPC
And you only need 4 sectors on QR metal to qualify each year (= 1 flight ex USA to Asia) , & all OW flights do qualify to earn Qpoints / Qmiles too.

IMO The only real travesty of QRPC is that their Qmiles are practically worthless - 300k Qmiles for a 1 way flight in J class fro USA - Asia
I might just suck it up & travel in Y class for 80k Qmiles
Old May 3, 2019, 12:25 am

and sorry I always thought the food at AM was it's weakest point
some of the food in BA Galleries can be quite tasty, I just do not like the cattle feed lot-like presentation ;-)
Not if you like middle Eastern or Indian influenced cuisine.
And it's a hot buffet with lots of food choices in a sprawling sized dining room, how else should they present it?
Old May 3, 2019, 12:56 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by kaffir76
I was under the impression that membership tiers are for valid for 1 year from when you reach the tier. Is it 24 months to retain / re-qualify?

Any airline FFP status is "easy" to maintain or qualify if you fly in premium classes often enough, & if you don't then the airline doesn't really want your business.
Regarding your first question:
You qualify for 1 year based on qpoints in the last 12 months OR 24 months. So let's say in 2019 you have well over 1000 qpoints. You qualify for 2020, obviously. Then during 2020 you actually don't need any flights to qualify for 2021 because your 24 month look-back has sufficient flights (all in 2019, none in 2020).

Regarding your second comment:
We are speaking in relative terms here. Making the statement that OW Emerald is "easy" is relative to BA, AA, AY, etc. So I am comparing how many round-trips in J do you need for certain routes, by airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.