Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

60 Qcredits for attaining Platinum status

Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond

has anyone found a good use for these Qcredits?

really frustrating that every useful itinerary I look at is 66 Qcredits

QR Platinum has proven to have far more value to me when flying on other oneworld airlines, with rather few benefits from QR
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:03 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
I just used 39 of them to upgrade my wife from DOH-ICN. It was done online with immediate effect. No fuss.
That was a win!
#1son likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by #1son
has anyone found a good use for these Qcredits?

really frustrating that every useful itinerary I look at is 66 Qcredits

QR Platinum has proven to have far more value to me when flying on other oneworld airlines, with rather few benefits from QR
You must be looking at super long itinerary like USA-Australia because with 60 Qcredits you can upgrade a Europe to AKL trip one way and you only need 55 for Europe to SYD.
You get more value from your Qcredits when upgrading both flights (AAA-DOH and DOH-BBB) at the same time (and QR website is not bugging asking you the sum of each leg Qcredits).
Just check how much you need in Qcalculator.
At least you can use your Qcredits to upgrade a long flight like DOH-SYD (39 Qcredits) or DOH-AKL (42 Qcredits).
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:49 am
Original Poster

appreciate the feedback

I was looking at return flights

basically if you use just 39 (or 42) Qcredits, the balance will have marginal value as I have learned over the past few years

the Qcalculator is clumsy but functional ;-)

Last edited by #1son; Feb 25, 2019 at 2:13 am
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
appreciate the feedback

I was looking at return flights

basically if you use just 39 (or 42) Qcredits, the balance will have marginal value as I have learned over the past few years

the Qcalculator is clumsy but functional ;-)
Ys, without a doubt the redemption is cheesy. My wife is left with 21 Q-Credits now. Probably not much good for anything.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Europe to DOH is generally 28 qcredits so i used mine to upgrade 2 of us from DOH to MAD leaving 4 qcredits. Pity of course that upgrades don't get you into Al Mourjan but our connection in DOH is not too long.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by a9504477
Europe to DOH is generally 28 qcredits so i used mine to upgrade 2 of us from DOH to MAD leaving 4 qcredits. Pity of course that upgrades don't get you into Al Mourjan but our connection in DOH is not too long.
Yes thats true, on my routes to / from DOH I would need 28 qcredits...and I am left with 27 qcredits....quite annoying!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:36 am
Original Poster

I finally found a route to use 56 Qcredits

this blockade on Qatar has made status on QR much less valuable and a headache to use for me as I visit Doha on business but really need to go to Dubai more often as well

so I was trying to book Milan to Muscat which is 33 credits each way (and Muscat to ORD is 48 credits each way etc)

luckily I found that Sofia to Muscat is only 28 credits each way and I will connect to the ultra-cheap QR Business Class flight I booked from Sofia to Shanghai. The online upgrade process was seamless too.;-)

from past experience, whether you have 40 or 60 Qcredits, it is best to use them all in one go if possible
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Matt4

You must be looking at super long itinerary like USA-Australia because with 60 Qcredits you can upgrade a Europe to AKL trip one way and you only need 55 for Europe to SYD.
You get more value from your Qcredits when upgrading both flights (AAA-DOH and DOH-BBB) at the same time (and QR website is not bugging asking you the sum of each leg Qcredits).
Just check how much you need in Qcalculator.
At least you can use your Qcredits to upgrade a long flight like DOH-SYD (39 Qcredits) or DOH-AKL (42 Qcredits).
In theory, but what are the odds that there is upgrade availability for both legs?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by makrom
In theory, but what are the odds that there is upgrade availability for both legs?
IME better than in the past, especially if you avoid week ends and school holidays.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:24 am

so I was trying to book Milan to Muscat which is 33 credits each way (and Muscat to ORD is 48 credits each way etc)
You could choose to upgrade only both MXP-DOH and DOH-MXP legs for 28 Qcredits each and forget the regional first class for the short DOH-MCT flights...
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:19 am
Original Poster

this is good to know for the future that you it is possible to just upgrade legs, I thought it needed to be end to end
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I've consistently used my 60 Qcredits to upgrade SIN-JFK (used to be 50 Qcredits, now it's 55) - great value for the trip duration. But the route is popular and hence you need to be flexible in your dates and book at least 6-7 months in advance if you plan to fly during peak season.
kaffir76 likes this.

Last edited by lifeonthego_k; Mar 4, 2019 at 12:16 am Reason: wrong Qcredit numbers
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Tell me about it - I have 40 QCredits as QR Gold & to upgrade from Y-J on my SINLAX itin.
SINDOH 33 QCredits
DOHLAX 42 QCredits

Used 33 QCredits both membership years (7 lonely QCredits sitting in my account now) & 85k QMiles to upgrade DOHLAX, but there are no more upgrades avail. on the return @ LAXDOH
Will have to try to upgrade at the airport during check in, I suppose

I'll be QR Platinum before the end of the year, so the SINJFK tip is a great one!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
I know its kinda worthless those few qcredits remaining, however has anyone worked out any iternary that is either 30 or 60 for platinum? or 20 or 40 for Gold?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.