Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wifi on board for calls

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The air is the last refuge from people who are oblivious to others and so self-important yet truly unimportant that they must speak on the phone in flight. Anything important enough to require shouting into a handset is something which ought not to be said in public.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold, Qatar Privilege Club Gold
I tried to make a Skype call on JL flight, a 77W. The most funny thing is I can hear my friend speaking but he can't hear me Lol,
wish this help.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by jerrythegreat12
I tried to make a Skype call on JL flight, a 77W. The most funny thing is I can hear my friend speaking but he can't hear me Lol,
wish this help.
Very likely that this happens because the bandwidth is asymmetrical on a lot of these setups, so the satelite portion of the path has up to 10x the capacity from land to the aircraft, so your voice has problems going upstream. To make matter worse (for the techies) is that is often lack of a proper regime for controlling how packets are prioritized (QoS), hence your upstream data wreaks havoc with getting acks and other important small packets out and up first. This concludes today's lesson in network engineering.
-A
nilsfr69 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.