Wifi on board for calls

Old Nov 5, 18, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Gold, HH:Gold, Marriott: Gold, IHG: Spire Ambassador
Wifi on board for calls

Does anybody know how reliable the onboard wifi on the A350 is for use with Skype for calls? Do they block Skype or other VOIP systems?
Old Nov 5, 18, 2:00 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by adfg View Post
Does anybody know how reliable the onboard wifi on the A350 is for use with Skype for calls? Do they block Skype or other VOIP systems?
IME the WLAN was barely fast enough to do an OLCI for the next flight. On some routes, the system becomes pretty much unusable as they keep deactivating and reactivating the system when flying over certain countries.
Old Nov 5, 18, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by adfg View Post
Good Lord! I certainly hope they do block Skype et al
trooper, Somnifer, Often1 and 8 others like this.
Old Nov 5, 18, 9:53 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver
Iíve made a skype (voice) call from the bar on the A380 so it is possible sometimes..

Edir:; it was a call over WhatsApp but thatís probably of similar requirements
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Nov 5, 18, 10:32 pm

Programs: QR Plat, BA Silver
On a A380 it is possible. Done myself already, but you are limited in time (15min) and volume (15mb) if you do not want to pay and depends on reliability of wifi. On a 777 you have 1 hour unlimited free wifi but on this type voip is blocked. But I remember that I read something that when you pay for wifi you will have more possibilities to use wifi. But not sure if it‘s including voip
Old Nov 5, 18, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I too hope that voice calls are blocked.
argonath, Somnifer, Often1 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 18, 12:22 am

Programs: QR Plat
<snip>
Old Nov 6, 18, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
IME the WLAN was barely fast enough to do an OLCI for the next flight. On some routes, the system becomes pretty much unusable as they keep deactivating and reactivating the system when flying over certain countries.
It's not that many countries that are not permitting the system. On my Europe-Asia travels it's only India.

It's the same provider as EK uses, and here's a map:

-A
Old Nov 6, 18, 2:31 am

Programs: Bonvoyed too much to care about Marriott/ BAEC Gold
anybody know the reasons why certain countries block the satellite wifi? (its not even the usual suspects... China/Russia etc)
Old Nov 6, 18, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by nilsfr69 View Post
anybody know the reasons why certain countries block the satellite wifi? (its not even the usual suspects... China/Russia etc)
It's usually government control of communications. I also have expeirence with ships and India, and no vsat permitted within the 12nm border, as the government cannot control the traffic. SITA/ONAir's traffic originates in Amsterdam, thus bypassing the government in e.g. India completely.

-A
Old Nov 6, 18, 3:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, Delta Gold
I have seen lady making a call onboard 77L last week EZE-GRU, not sure what protocol or app it was.
Old Nov 6, 18, 3:50 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
WiFi is great but calls are a pain, some people are just unable to talk quietly on a phone and it’s disturbing others.

Talk fast and loud for an hour or more and the angry Scotsman on the other side of the divider will threaten you with phone insertion, you know who you are......
Old Nov 7, 18, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by nilsfr69 View Post
I reckon it's an instinct to exercise control wherever possible; plus an extension of protocols which cite security issues, but also protect national telecom providers from VOIP systems.
Old Nov 7, 18, 3:53 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
I reckon it's an instinct to exercise control wherever possible; plus an extension of protocols which cite security issues, but also protect national telecom providers from VOIP systems.
Intriguingly, the UAE isn't on the map, but I'm told that VOIP is banned in Dubai (and I'd assume the other Emirates within the UAE).

M
Old Nov 7, 18, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
Intriguingly, the UAE isn't on the map, but I'm told that VOIP is banned in Dubai (and I'd assume the other Emirates within the UAE).

M
They don't have a problem with satellite comms, thy have a problem with commercial competition, thus all VoIP services on the ground are banned.

-A
msm2000uk likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: