Wiki Posts
Search

QR Experience in Tunis

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
QR Experience in Tunis

Flying EK from DXB to TUN and connecting to QR on a separate ticket. I was curious if anyone has experience or tips transiting in TUN to QR?

Im particularly curious if I can print the boarding pass before hand as I will only have hand luggage so I'd prefer not to go through immigration if I can avoid it.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Gold, Singapore air Kris flyer,Emirates Silver, Etihad Gold
Hi there. Which class are you flying with QR? As far as I know, there are no boarding passes issued for flights departing from Tunis. Only online check in confirmation in which its written that you need to collect your boarding pass at the airport.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tokyolyon
Hi there. Which class are you flying with QR? As far as I know, there are no boarding passes issued for flights departing from Tunis. Only online check in confirmation in which its written that you need to collect your boarding pass at the airport.
Thanks for the info

I'll be in J
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:47 pm

In order to turn around without passing immigration, you have to go from the arrival area to the departure area. They may let you do it even without a boarding pass (based on an itinerary printout), such that you get your bp at the gate or transit desk. Or they might not let you do it even with a boarding pass. I have no knowledge of Tunis but I can say that the boarding pass is probably not the issue.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Gold, Singapore air Kris flyer,Emirates Silver, Etihad Gold
You are welcome. As I am based in Tunis now, I don't think that you will be getting your boarding pass at the gate. TUN airport is not meant to be a transit area from my own experience. If traveling with Tunis air, then its a different story then. When is your flight? Can you kindly report back with some photos from your flight? I would to confirm if QR's new C menu and tableware setup is already rolled out on flights to TUN or not.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:36 am
Original Poster

I will be flying end of next month with my return in December. Will definitely post back with info about the flight Currently QR is running a 787 on that route so it should be a nicer seat than what they fly to my home base of LAX

Also if anyonw is interested, TUN to many US destinations is pricing at $2400-2500 round trip with QR
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
Having transited twice in TUN in the last month, I can tell you it can be hectic. I connected from Tunisair to QR, had 3hr30 and even though I was left with some wiggle room I wouldnt do any transiting with less time. It will all depend on how many other flights arrive at the same time as you have to pick up your luggage, clear custom & immigration, check in, clear immigration and pass security once again.... This whole process took me close to 2 hours. Arrival / departure immigration can be quite lengthy, almost up to US standards if you dont have GE!

Also almost forgot had some trouble finding the checking desk for QR. The numbers are not sequential, ie some of the higher numbers will end up before the lower numbers and at the end of a hall, in a little room.

One thing to note as well is beware of the cash allowance into / outa of Tunisia. Most countries alllows for around 10k USD without declaration. If you plan to take money out of Tunisia it is something like 800 USD, but you have to declare it upon entry. If you're in that scenario, you need 10 Tunisian Dinars (3eur) to pay for the stamp, there are atms in the bagage room, so have the money before you fill up the form, it will save you queing up again! Allthough I was never asked for the form again on departure, but i figured it was better to be safe than sorry...

Last edited by synd; Oct 28, 2018 at 5:42 pm
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I would to confirm if QR's new C menu and tableware setup is already rolled out on flights to TUN or not.
Out of Tunisia in september it was the old setup, back into Tunisia in October it was half/half, there was some part of the new setup and some of the old. the water glasses for example, during the first meal i had a new style one, and for the rest of the flight the old ones.... Didnt see the candle either on that flight. My guess is its getting there!
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by synd
Having transited twice in TUN in the last month, I can tell you it can be hectic. I connected from Tunisair to QR, had 3hr30 and even though I was left with some wiggle room I wouldnt do any transiting with less time. It will all depend on how many other flights arrive at the same time as you have to pick up your luggage, clear custom & immigration, check in, clear immigration and pass security once again.... This whole process took me close to 2 hours. Arrival / departure immigration can be quite lengthy, almost up to US standards if you dont have GE!

Also almost forgot had some trouble finding the checking desk for QR. The numbers are not sequential, ie some of the higher numbers will end up before the lower numbers and at the end of a hall, in a little room.

One thing to note as well is beware of the cash allowance into / outa of Tunisia. Most countries alllows for around 10k USD without declaration. If you plan to take money out of Tunisia it is something like 800 USD, but you have to declare it upon entry. If you're in that scenario, you need 10 Tunisian Dinars (3eur) to pay for the stamp, there are atms in the bagage room, so have the money before you fill up the form, it will save you queing up again! Allthough I was never asked for the form again on departure, but i figured it was better to be safe than sorry...
My connection time is 3hr 5min from EK to QR so I hope there won't be an issue I won't be picking up luggage as I'll only be with carry on so hopefully that saves a bit of time

Were you traveling in Y or J? I'm assuming QR will have a separate business class check in, but im curious if there is any priority security and immigration lines for premium cabin passengers
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ

Were you traveling in Y or J? I'm assuming QR will have a separate business class check in, but im curious if there is any priority security and immigration lines for premium cabin passengers
Paid J no special priority or immigration lines.you should be fine. No checked luggage will help. I waited 20 minutes or so for my suitcase after having waited 30-40 minutes to clear immigration....
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:06 pm

Thanks a lot synd for the update. Do you have any pics or the menus by chance?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:50 am
SRG

Programs: KM Flypass, Qatar, Emirates
I've travelled this route a few times (as per this thread) and am on my way back to Tunis this evening (from Buenos Aires).

I'm pretty sure the 'candles' were on the outgoing flight a few weeks ago, but will check on the way back (on Thursday).
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SRG
I've travelled this route a few times (as per this thread) and am on my way back to Tunis this evening (from Buenos Aires).

I'm pretty sure the 'candles' were on the outgoing flight a few weeks ago, but will check on the way back (on Thursday).
Very informative thread, thanks

Someone mentioned they have a transfer desk who will retrieve boarding passes. Anyone have further experience with this?

Seems like it might be a good option since I wont have checked bags.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by SRG

I will be grateful if you have some pics or the menus for both flights ( QR1399&QR1400). I am hesitating between QR and TK for a ticket to KWI from TUN. Even though I am a big fan of QR the price difference is quite big. TK is at 964USD return whereas QR is at 1522USD. So having the new menu and layout on the TUN flights can be justify the fare difference
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:52 am
SRG

Programs: KM Flypass, Qatar, Emirates
I will be grateful if you have some pics or the menus for both flights ( QR1399&QR1400). I am hesitating between QR and TK for a ticket to KWI from TUN. Even though I am a big fan of QR the price difference is quite big. TK is at 964USD return whereas QR is at 1522USD. So having the new menu and layout on the TUN flights can be justify the fare difference
I've posted the menu pics for QR1399 here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.