Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAB threatens to leave oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
eeek ... I thought something had happened! Don’t do that!,

All quiet on the Eastern Front, afaik. I’ve learned to live with uncertainty.

Someone will post something if something significant happens, I’m sure.
nikolask and AmaaiZeg like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
eeek ... I thought something had happened! Don’t do that!,

All quiet on the Eastern Front, afaik. I’ve learned to live with uncertainty.

Someone will post something if something significant happens, I’m sure.
Even if nothing significant happens
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I'm sure this latest blast on Air Italy certainly doesn't help ...

AA would be so much better off partnering with QR (and Air Italy) than fighting it. Air Italy could take the place of Air Berlin. Plus, there are no routes I can think of where AA competes with QR.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Originally Posted by C17PSGR

Plus, there are no routes I can think of where AA competes with QR.
While their route maps may not overlap, AA does compete with QR. I often buy SE Asia to N America. I could route on AA thru NRT, HKG, or PVG. Instead, I Always purchase QR through DOH. I can usually find a good J price, and the products don't even compare. If QR were to leave OW, I'd have a tough choice to make. Leave the AA program and credit to another, or start flying AA again TPAC.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I'm sure this latest blast on Air Italy certainly doesn't help ...

AA would be so much better off partnering with QR (and Air Italy) than fighting it. Air Italy could take the place of Air Berlin. Plus, there are no routes I can think of where AA competes with QR.
Unfortunately, AAHQ seems bereft of any original thought and to have outsourced all strategy to Delta. Doesn't occur them that what's good for Delta is not necessarily good for them.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:19 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mordac
Unfortunately, AAHQ seems bereft of any original thought and to have outsourced all strategy to Delta. Doesn't occur them that what's good for Delta is not necessarily good for them.
this sums it up very well cheeky aren't you
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Mordac
Doesn't occur them that what's good for Delta is not necessarily good for them.
Isn't what you mean that it's not good for us? If they put that into effect, it will only be AFTER the number crunchers have figured out that the business they lose will be more than offset by the savings. Like nearly all airlines, they have a lot of smart people thinking about this stuff.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
While their route maps may not overlap, AA does compete with QR. I often buy SE Asia to N America. I could route on AA thru NRT, HKG, or PVG. Instead, I Always purchase QR through DOH. I can usually find a good J price, and the products don't even compare. If QR were to leave OW, I'd have a tough choice to make. Leave the AA program and credit to another, or start flying AA again TPAC.
So you'd rather fly SIN-DOH-LAX than SIN-NRT-LAX? That's almost 40% longer! I wouldn't call that competition.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Isn't what you mean that it's not good for us? If they put that into effect, it will only be AFTER the number crunchers have figured out that the business they lose will be more than offset by the savings. Like nearly all airlines, they have a lot of smart people thinking about this stuff.
If this was the only such decision, then yes, I would assume they have done the maths and worked out this makes best business sense, despite me being potentially disadvantaged by it. However, this is only one of a long string of decision where AA seems to have blindly copied Delta without regard for the different circumstances they're in.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:08 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by ckx2
So you'd rather fly SIN-DOH-LAX than SIN-NRT-LAX? That's almost 40% longer! I wouldn't call that competition.
While your question is not intended to me, nor do I fly this route, but if I may contribute my opinion then if in J then yes I would pick SIN-DOH-LAX on QR rather than SIN-NRT-LAX with a long flight on AA. A long J flight on QR is something I look forward to rather than dread.
StormDog, T8191 and ermis177 like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by ckx2
I hear of more and more people taking similar routings purely due to the better service available.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:25 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
A reminder that this thread is focused towards QR and it's relationship with OneWorld.

Discussion regarding Air Italy, and the ME3 v US Legacy carriers, can be had elsewhere.

Safe travels,

M
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by escape4
... then yes I would pick SIN-DOH-LAX on QR rather than SIN-NRT-LAX with a long flight on AA.
Not to mention the extra earnings from the additional distance PLUS extra EQDs on a QR marketed flight if you're crediting to AAdvantage.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:55 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Not to mention the extra earnings from the additional distance PLUS extra EQDs on a QR marketed flight if you're crediting to AAdvantage.
Correct, I have thrown QRPC to the garbage bin and crediting to AA going forward so this route is golden for AA earning
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by escape4
Correct, I have thrown QRPC to the garbage bin and crediting to AA going forward so this route is golden for AA earning
Similar with UK>Cape Town. LGW-DOH-CPT adds a good few extra BA Tier Points, with the added advantage of a better product over BA.

But, as with all these options, it gets a bit route-specific. And for us, everything OW starts with JER-LGW ... after that, it’s the dread combination of cost, convenience and comfort (in J).

Anyway! ... we digress, do we not? QR is still in OW until someone says it isn’t. We can discuss other subects elsewhere, eh?

Last edited by T8191; Apr 21, 2019 at 10:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.