AAB threatens to leave oneworld

Reply

Old Apr 17, 19, 8:24 am
  #166  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 27,811
eeek ... I thought something had happened! Donít do that!,

All quiet on the Eastern Front, afaik. Iíve learned to live with uncertainty.

Someone will post something if something significant happens, Iím sure.
nikolask and AmaaiZeg like this.
T8191 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 19, 1:43 am
  #167  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Posts: 11,097
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
eeek ... I thought something had happened! Donít do that!,

All quiet on the Eastern Front, afaik. Iíve learned to live with uncertainty.

Someone will post something if something significant happens, Iím sure.
Even if nothing significant happens
Traveller999 likes this.
brunos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 19, 5:54 pm
  #168  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DEN/BDL/LGA/HPN
Programs: Marriott Plat Premier; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 4,745
I'm sure this latest blast on Air Italy certainly doesn't help ...

AA would be so much better off partnering with QR (and Air Italy) than fighting it. Air Italy could take the place of Air Berlin. Plus, there are no routes I can think of where AA competes with QR.
C17PSGR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 19, 8:30 pm
  #169  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: CGK/KOA
Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Posts: 1,404
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post

Plus, there are no routes I can think of where AA competes with QR.
While their route maps may not overlap, AA does compete with QR. I often buy SE Asia to N America. I could route on AA thru NRT, HKG, or PVG. Instead, I Always purchase QR through DOH. I can usually find a good J price, and the products don't even compare. If QR were to leave OW, I'd have a tough choice to make. Leave the AA program and credit to another, or start flying AA again TPAC.
Penguinmoon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 19, 3:00 am
  #170  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, Wyndham Diamond
Posts: 307
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
I'm sure this latest blast on Air Italy certainly doesn't help ...

AA would be so much better off partnering with QR (and Air Italy) than fighting it. Air Italy could take the place of Air Berlin. Plus, there are no routes I can think of where AA competes with QR.
Unfortunately, AAHQ seems bereft of any original thought and to have outsourced all strategy to Delta. Doesn't occur them that what's good for Delta is not necessarily good for them.
Mordac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 19, 3:19 am
  #171  
Ritz-Carlton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: EDI, CGK
Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,721
Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
Unfortunately, AAHQ seems bereft of any original thought and to have outsourced all strategy to Delta. Doesn't occur them that what's good for Delta is not necessarily good for them.
this sums it up very well cheeky aren't you
clubeurope is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 19, 5:13 am
  #172  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BOS/UTH
Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Posts: 11,695
Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
Doesn't occur them that what's good for Delta is not necessarily good for them.
Isn't what you mean that it's not good for us? If they put that into effect, it will only be AFTER the number crunchers have figured out that the business they lose will be more than offset by the savings. Like nearly all airlines, they have a lot of smart people thinking about this stuff.
Dr. HFH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 19, 5:37 am
  #173  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: DEN, LAS, SIN
Programs: AA CK
Posts: 931
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon View Post
While their route maps may not overlap, AA does compete with QR. I often buy SE Asia to N America. I could route on AA thru NRT, HKG, or PVG. Instead, I Always purchase QR through DOH. I can usually find a good J price, and the products don't even compare. If QR were to leave OW, I'd have a tough choice to make. Leave the AA program and credit to another, or start flying AA again TPAC.
So you'd rather fly SIN-DOH-LAX than SIN-NRT-LAX? That's almost 40% longer! I wouldn't call that competition.
ckx2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 19, 5:41 am
  #174  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, Wyndham Diamond
Posts: 307
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
Isn't what you mean that it's not good for us? If they put that into effect, it will only be AFTER the number crunchers have figured out that the business they lose will be more than offset by the savings. Like nearly all airlines, they have a lot of smart people thinking about this stuff.
If this was the only such decision, then yes, I would assume they have done the maths and worked out this makes best business sense, despite me being potentially disadvantaged by it. However, this is only one of a long string of decision where AA seems to have blindly copied Delta without regard for the different circumstances they're in.
Mordac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 19, 6:08 am
  #175  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Posts: 1,873
Originally Posted by ckx2 View Post
So you'd rather fly SIN-DOH-LAX than SIN-NRT-LAX? That's almost 40% longer! I wouldn't call that competition.
While your question is not intended to me, nor do I fly this route, but if I may contribute my opinion then if in J then yes I would pick SIN-DOH-LAX on QR rather than SIN-NRT-LAX with a long flight on AA. A long J flight on QR is something I look forward to rather than dread.
StormDog, T8191 and ermis177 like this.
escape4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 19, 6:59 am
  #176  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,845
Originally Posted by ckx2 View Post
So you'd rather fly SIN-DOH-LAX than SIN-NRT-LAX? That's almost 40% longer! I wouldn't call that competition.
I hear of more and more people taking similar routings purely due to the better service available.
ft101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 19, 7:25 am
  #177  
Moderator: Qatar Airways
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: LHR/NCE/DOH
Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL/CCR, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Posts: 7,286
A reminder that this thread is focused towards QR and it's relationship with OneWorld.

Discussion regarding Air Italy, and the ME3 v US Legacy carriers, can be had elsewhere.

Safe travels,

M
msm2000uk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 19, 7:49 am
  #178  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BOS/UTH
Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Posts: 11,695
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
... then yes I would pick SIN-DOH-LAX on QR rather than SIN-NRT-LAX with a long flight on AA.
Not to mention the extra earnings from the additional distance PLUS extra EQDs on a QR marketed flight if you're crediting to AAdvantage.
Dr. HFH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 19, 7:55 am
  #179  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Posts: 1,873
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
Not to mention the extra earnings from the additional distance PLUS extra EQDs on a QR marketed flight if you're crediting to AAdvantage.
Correct, I have thrown QRPC to the garbage bin and crediting to AA going forward so this route is golden for AA earning
escape4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 19, 8:30 am
  #180  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 27,811
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
Correct, I have thrown QRPC to the garbage bin and crediting to AA going forward so this route is golden for AA earning
Similar with UK>Cape Town. LGW-DOH-CPT adds a good few extra BA Tier Points, with the added advantage of a better product over BA.

But, as with all these options, it gets a bit route-specific. And for us, everything OW starts with JER-LGW ... after that, it’s the dread combination of cost, convenience and comfort (in J).

Anyway! ... we digress, do we not? QR is still in OW until someone says it isn’t. We can discuss other subects elsewhere, eh?

Last edited by T8191; Apr 21, 19 at 10:15 am
T8191 is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread